Which Radio Gear?

Roger Dyke

Hi All,

I am just getting back into RC model aircraft building and flying after a lay-off in 2004. My radio gear is a Futaba 6 channel 35MHz FM. I know that I can still use this gear but would like to update to 2.4GHz.

What would be your suggestion as new Tx/Rx, bearing in mind that I am a casual occasional recreational flyer (no competition or fancy combinations). I am looking for relatively budget but fairly decent quality.

Any thoughts please?

Roger

Advert

A lot of people will say buy Tranis Tx. Others say Spektrum. Each pilot has a favourite. Have you thought about a club yet?

If you are comfortable using Futaba then there are several 2.4 6exa Tx for sale. A club of any worth should have a trainer you can use until you get kitted out again.

What model TX do you have now? You may be able to convert it to 2.4ghz with a plug in module, age, features and condition will dictate if it is worthwhile?

If you are going for new, and you want easy to operate/understand and decent quality, I would say a Spektrum DX6 DX7 or DX8, depending on the number of channels you need. That or one of the entry level Futaba systems.

Only consider the Taranis or open source systems if you have the time and inclination to devote to it.  Very powerful systems, but you need to really put the effort and lots (we are talking almost another hobby) of time into getting to grips with them.

Edited By Richard Wills 2 on 20/08/2018 21:03:23

Despite the fact that I am dedicated OpenTx/Taranis user I wouldn't recommend it for you. If you don't like computing, programming etc. and you are only an occassional user you will never get to grips with it.

Try a look at least at a Spektrum 6e, simple to use very user friendly etc. Does most of the set up for you!

BEB

Hi Roger,just a thought.

I have a number of older style JR transmitters in use. A couple I have converted to 2.4 using a FrSky diy (hack) module:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/frsky-dht-8ch-diy-telemetry-compatible-transmitter-module.html

If your current transmitter is sound, and you are familiar with using it, no need to change.

If your current Tx has a removable module it is possible to replace that with a 2.4 one, as Richard suggests, but that means you have two aerials, which always looks cumbersome to me.

If you have basic soldering skills, wiring the module is easy. The most trouble you will have is finding somewhere to physically mount the internal module.

On the basis 'if I can do it, anybody can' might be worth considering.

Jeff

I was in the same position as OP. First I bought a used Spektrum DX7S and a couple of receivers. It was pretty easy to setup, but has no range to fly safely. I then bought a new Taranis QX7S and a Frsky receiver. That transmitter won't bind with the receiver. The Frsky system is extremely complicated. Instructions are very difficult to find, and anything you can find always misses vital facts/steps. If I could go back to your position, where I was a month ago, I'd buy a Futaba system. At least you know it's going to work.

My mate was also in the same position. He bought a cheapo Flysky system, which he was sure glitched to cause his plane to crash, so he bought a Frsky module for it, which works OK.

To summarise, If you just want to fly normal planes normally, and can afford it, get a Futaba system. If you like gadgets and experimentation, and you have a degree in computer science, get a Frsky. According to the poll, most forum members have Spektrum. Presumably, they're happy. Maybe I was just unlucky.

Edited By Dave Hess on 20/08/2018 23:42:42

Interesting comment. / statement from DaveH, ‘the Frsky system is extremely complicated’ I would argue that it is quite the opposite especially when using the wizard to setup basic models. Unfortunately Dave bought the wrong Rx to go with his Tx and that is where he has encountered problems. The main advantage of Frsky kit is that it can expand as your requirements expand and it is fairly bullet proof! Oh, almost forget, value for money second to none!

Just wanted to make sure that a balanced view was given for the kit.

WE have a majority of Spktrum in our club. Mine is one of the first in the country, never had a problem. Nor has anyone else with one exception.

The Spektrum DX8 apparently did have problems and the one in the club caused so problems but not of the others.

Just in passing, I still use my Futaba Field Force 8. Ir has exponential on the throttle as well which allows me to set up really linear throttle response.

Guys, we have been handling this type of thread very well lately, but this example seems to me to be slipping back into the old ways.

Remember, there is no perfect radio system.

1. Its not really on to issue instructions like "buy this" or "don't buy that" - it just aggravates people.

2. In my view, and I think that of many others, all modern radio systems are superb, They are full of features, very powerful and ultra reliable.

3. There are differences and I say "viva la differnce"! Because that allows folks to get stuff that suits their interests and their focus.

4. Its also not really on to make sweeping comments about a radio system based on 5 mkns acquantance!

So, can we stow the negative views and focus on the positive please, telling the OP what is good about your choice rather than what's wrong with everyone else's!

BEB

hello roger and welcome, if you were happy with your Futaba radio first time around I would suggest you buy their version of the 2.4 radio.....the entry level ones are reasonable prices. Check out the reviews section on the right hand side of the screen here...good unbiased info.....

ken anderson...ne...1..radio dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 21/08/2018 08:42:05

I used Futaba Field Force 6 for years untill a faulty stick and two planes down . I bought an Hitec Optic 6 on 35 meg and enjoyed it's reliability and use of most receivers I had with Futaba set up. Then when I started with electric planes I took the option to go 2.4 Optic 6. I recently bought an Hitec Flash 7 and have had reliable service again I seem to have more rx now than usual. Both Optics have since been sold for a fair price

Posted by Ron Gray on 21/08/2018 07:09:36:

Interesting comment. / statement from DaveH, ‘the Frsky system is extremely complicated’ I would argue that it is quite the opposite especially when using the wizard to setup basic models. Unfortunately Dave bought the wrong Rx to go with his Tx and that is where he has encountered problems. The main advantage of Frsky kit is that it can expand as your requirements expand and it is fairly bullet proof! Oh, almost forget, value for money second to none!

Just wanted to make sure that a balanced view was given for the kit.

Everything is easy when you know how to do it!

What I say next isn't to bash Frsky. I just want to point out my own experience of how it is for someone that hasn't used it before.

You get virtally no instructions with a Frsky transmitter or receiver. I would bet that a guy with average RC experience and no Frsky experience couldn't even find the page with the basic settings, like how to set the time on the transmitter, without spending a whole evening trawling through Youtube videos.

As well as knowing what to do, you have to know what not to do. In my case, I bought an Frsky receiver that's not compatible with my version of the transmitter. There's no mention on any listings of these compatibility issues. The transmitters don't come with receivers, so how could any noob avoid ths situation.

Here's what I did last night. I wanted to connect the transmitter to my PC in an attempt to remedy a wrong software message I get wenever I switch it on. The transmitter has a USB socket, but there's no instruction or simple logic how to actvate it. I spend about an hour trawling through Youtube trying to find out how, until I found one. I copied what the guy did, but it didn't work. I only got a blank screen, and I don't know why. He had an X7, and mine's an X7S, so I figure mine must be different and spend another hour searching Google and Youtube until I found a Hungarian video that showed the X7S. I copied what he did, but I alwas got a blank screen, while as he got a screen with settings. After about 15 minutes experientation, bewilderment and frustration, I find that the length of tme you press the on button is critical. Too short - nothing happens. Too long - you get a blank screen. Just right - bingo! Nobody expalined that.

Maybe you get these sort of problems with other makes. Maybe I'm just a dunderhead, though I was an IT and electronics teacher before I retired.

Edited By Dave Hess on 21/08/2018 09:18:32

Edited By Dave Hess on 21/08/2018 09:23:49

Dear all,

Wow, what a response. I thank you all for your very informative and prompt replies. Fantastic.

Brian: Spektrum DX6. I will certainly have a look at that. Thanks.

Cymaz: I know people have their favourites. I suppose we stick with what we are comfortable with. I will have a look at the Futaba 2.4 6exa as you suggest. My old club has kindly invited me down for a chat and to have a look around. I will take them up on their kind offer.

Richard: The TX I have now is an old Futaba Challenger FP-T6NFK. I wouldn't have thought it updatable but I'll have a look. Another vote for the Spektrum DX6. I will have a look at it with the 7 and 8. I don't think that the Taranis system is for me.

Percy: I will have a look at the HiTec Flash 7 and the Graupner Hott series.

Stuart: Thanks for the tip. I will have a look into the FrSky modules.

BEB: Yes, the Taranis is not for me. Will look at the Spektrum 6e as recommended.

Jeff: Thanks for the tips reference the FrSky modules. I don't think that my TX would be suitable but will have a look. No problem with fitting as I am a retired electronics engineer.

Supertigrefan: Just fancy moving along with the times I suppose. I know that need to really (at the moment).

Dave: Thank you for your very valuable information. I shall bear it in mind whilst doing my looking.

Nigel: Thanks for the info.

Ron: Thanks for your valued opinion. Appreciated.

Percy: Interesting. I shall keep my ear to the ground on that one.

Ikura: No comment. Thanks for your reply.

Percy: No comment. Thanks for your reply.

Peter: Thanks for the information reference the Spektrum DX8. Interesting.

BEB: Thank you for your guidance.

Ken: Thank you for your advice. I will have a look.

RC Plane Flyer: That’s good news. Thank you for the benefit of your experience.

BEB: Thanks for your moderation.

Dave: A very interesting article. Thanks for the info.

The Wright Stuff: That’s very good to know I will have a look. Thanks.

My thanks to you all for your most welcome and informative replies.

Kind regards

Roger

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 21/08/2018 08:57:37:

I've asked nicely - now more forcably! This is not the place for fight over radio systems. If you can't give the OP some informed positive advice then its best not to bother!

One post deleted so far - we'll close it if this carries on.

BEB

Hi BEB

Thanks for that, needed saying. This was developing into a bash this, bash that thread. get enough of that on Helifreak.

Might be an idea to ask Roger what he actually needs.

So, Roger.

I think someone asked a while back why you need to go 2.4. I am still using 35 on a lot of models, and very reliable it is too. Only reason for me to go 2.4 was difficulty in accomodating that long aerial on a small helicopter.

Second, what type of models do you fly? That would define how complicated a software you need. As an example I have a couple of JR 2610 and 2720 tx's in my collection.

I think everyone would agree these are definitely last seasons fashion, but the point is they can do everything I need. I fly aircraft and helicopters on these without issue, and really don't want, or need, anything more complex.

This is one of the benefits, for me, of the headlong rush to 2.4. Means everything 35 is available dirt cheap. I have four of these JR transmitters, all came from E-bay, and none cost me more that £30.

which leads us on to question 3

What sort of budget do you have?

Think it's time we focussed on what you need, rather than what everyone else flies.

Jeff