Seagull Funky Cub assemble.

Ron, if the flaps are raised quickly it can cause a sudden loss of lift.. I'm thinking of 'aborted landing' scenario.

That's why on full size aircraft it's normal practice to keep them down until speed and height are gained.

John, I'd be interested in knowing how you make f/g hinges for flaps - when you get around to it.

Edited By ASH. on 15/09/2018 23:52:10

Good point about the loss of lift but to be honest, in practice I haven’t really noticed it, I suppose because when I’ve aborted a landing power has been applied anyway. Most recent case was with my Hurricane when I approached the strip too slow with full flaps and it got rather twitchy, power was applied and flaps were raised to allow normal control to resume!

As with all flight control surfaces it's best not to have any gap or minimal. I take it your flap leading edge has no chamfer that's why the gap on top when deployed. I say fly it as is and see, then try with some film covering the gap. I don't know if tape will hold flap hinges, there is quite some force on flaps.

Hmm.. that is a bit of a gap. It should be okay though. You can harden the balsa under hinge points by soaking with thin cyno. I find Seagull models to be very good value for money and the quality is excellent.

I forgot you're using a petrol engine., I always go over all joints in fuselage and wing root area with aliphatic and epoxy. (going to try Superphatic next time) I also epoxy an exact size ply plate inside for undercarriage mount and use 5mm nylon bolts which can shear easily. I also replace the foam wheels with larger rubber ones. My models may be a few ounces heavier but they're virtually 'bullet proof' and bounce proof laugh

You've got a nice model there John, the red and silver is eye catching.

Here's a vid if you haven't already seen it. The flap gap is visible at 2.20 and 2.35

https://youtu.be/XrR5Uu9AsQA

I've butchered it now Ash, couldn't settle with it, found lite ply hard ish points in there, l/e is lite ply that's why I couldn't slot it with scalpel.

Got thick balsa l/e now which I'll chamfer, then leaf and pin hinge, yep I like Seagull stuff myself, just this bit niggled me, yep I've some big balloon type wheels in draw. yes

That's good John, it's always worth taking the time and trouble to get things right, just the way you want it, My perfectionism really comes out in my model making. Part of the fun I suppose. I need to be 100% happy with it - even before it sees the outdoors.

I hope the balloon wheels are not too big.. unless of course you plan landing on mountain tops!

Those flaps look huge John, you'll have great fun flying flying her low and slow. Cannot understand the added longer strip, doesn't look flush with the rest of it.

It is a handsome looking model.. And it comes with aerofoil tail surfaces which is nice. I would be interested in one myself if I didn't have a high winger already (Toledo Special). Do paint the wood (black or grey) in front behind the canopy.

A review that might interest you.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/articles/review/seagull-models-funky-cub-10-15cc-arf/

Nice looking model.

As was mentioned elsewhere the large gap at the leading edge of the flap when it's dropped is actually supposed to be there, in fact it makes the flap more effective as it keeps the air flowing over it at high angles of attack, see pic below of a full size cub

slotted flap.jpg

Edited By chris larkins on 18/09/2018 21:01:09

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got it flown, a click of aileron all it needed, NGH 17 plenty good enough, 1/4 throttle has it tootling nicely, open it up n the aeros are nice n big.

After me saying on another thread "I've never had an exhaust fall off" today it did, checked throttle cut n failsafe before I flew it, all good, half a dozen circuits in, off it comes, engine would not cut, tickover too quick to land it, fly it till it's empty then, 25 minutes later it lands like a pussy cat.

First Impression of the engine is good, not too noisy with a wrap around pitts on, and very frugal on juice, silencer coming off Is down to me I think, never checked after running a few tanks through, and don't think I threadlocked it.