Seagull Funky Cub assemble.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi John,

sorry I missed this first time round! Re your flap hinge issue I can only think of two options, neither that brilliant!

1. Use screws that go through the trailing edge and poke out the other side. Fix the to a plate there. Popular ARTF solution of course. Not the neatest but simple and it will probably work fine.

2. Cut a square of film off, then make a shallow rebated square in the trailing edge, time cnsuming but not that difficult. Then glue a plate of hardwood or ply into the square recess. Effectively making a hardpoint. Recover that bit with an offcut of film.

BEB

Posted by iqon on 09/09/2018 13:12:36:

Is there anything you like about it.

There's lots I like, it's lightly built, colour schemes good, it'll be fun to fly, it's built straight, wings two piece so easier to transport, its petrol so cheap to fly and not much to carry, glazings fitted already, engines easy accessed, no fffafing about to get at choke/plug or keep an eye on fuel tubes, I'll get 20 minutes flight times, will be a good winter model, no one else at club has one, I got it at a good price, it's a Cub so it'll irritate you. face 1

Been doing a bit, I'm ready to hinge the flaps, but unsure of myself, the flaps have square edges and droop via bottom hinges, supplied ones I don't like, and they're screwed into soft balsa.

Plan is to make fibre glass ones and slot the wing/flap to fit em, I will fit these over hinge line and as low as possible, but it will mean there's a gap, this going to be a problem or is it common on scale models ? ignore the mock up hinge it's for question only.hingg 001.jpghingg 002.jpghingg 004.jpg

hingg 003.jpg

Posted by john stones 1 on 28/08/2018 22:31:39:

Started to assemble it now I have the motor, wing has flaps, these are droop down with a hinge on the lower wing surface, can find no hard points to accept the screws and the hinges are poor plastic ones that look unfit for purpose. Any ideas for an alternative method ?hinges 006.jpg

hinges 008.jpg

John, what happens if you slide the hinges forward so that the part fitted on the flap comes up to the flap leading edge? Looking at the design of those hinges I'd expect them to be fitted so that the flap swung down under the wing as it lowered wiith a gap between the two. Have a poke for a hardpoint on the flap leading adge and an hinge width forward of the wing trailing edge.

There's much advantage in slowing flap servos. It prevents any sudden change in attitude and so looks much smoother. Also, the model does not have to be slowed down esp using half flaps. And it looks so much nicer - like full size. I put flaps on one switch - half flap and full flap.