ASP anybody?

SIMON CRAGG

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 12/10/2018 20:15:21:

Just wondering if its the end of ASP altogether......would not suprise me!.

DOOM, GLOOM, WOH IS ME !

Honestly, it's like the beginning of an episode of Up Pompeii.

Does anybody out there know the whereabouts of the forums populated by optimists ?

The amount of negativity on this forum takes some believing. I wouldn't be surprised if the mods don't have a direct line to the Samaritans, just in case !

This is a hobby. I thought it was something we all supposedly enjoy being involved with. I have got to the point now where I can't be bothered even winding the whingers up any more !!!

Not going to waste any more time on this one.

Cue for a song. Ok everybody, after 3.

1, 2, "Let's all look on the bright side of life...………….."

cheeky

Posted by kevin b on 12/10/2018 22:17:28:
Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 12/10/2018 20:15:21:

Just wondering if its the end of ASP altogether......would not suprise me!.

DOOM, GLOOM, WOH IS ME !

Honestly, it's like the beginning of an episode of Up Pompeii.

Does anybody out there know the whereabouts of the forums populated by optimists ?

The amount of negativity on this forum takes some believing. I wouldn't be surprised if the mods don't have a direct line to the Samaritans, just in case !

This is a hobby. I thought it was something we all supposedly enjoy being involved with. I have got to the point now where I can't be bothered even winding the whingers up any more !!!

Not going to waste any more time on this one.

Cue for a song. Ok everybody, after 3.

1, 2, "Let's all look on the bright side of life...………….."

cheeky

Where did that come from?

Its not meant to be doom and gloom, its a fact. I asked a simple question, as ASP engines appear to be in short supply, and hopefully its a storm in a teacup.

I was very suprised when I looked at the JE website for a new ASP.75 that stock was so low.

You have absolutely no chance of winding me up, so propbably best to scroll by fella!.

Anyway, lets just hope that its a temporary glitch, as I have an airframe sat in the hanger waiting for its new engine!.

It was a reasonable observation Simon. I see Hobbyking has gone out of supplying ASP engines, and presumably the residual IC brands, OS & Cox as soon they clear existing stock. Could well mean that reducing demand for Glow IC against Electric and Gas will see Sanye ceasing production. They're still available on Ali express at the moment.

Products come and go, if it's true that ASP will eventually fade away and OS are throwing in the towel on two-strokes, then an alternative will fill the vacuum. Not surprising when the sale of new glow two-strokes must have almost dried up and the glow four strokes are now being challenged by petrol alternatives, particularly in the larger sizes.

Nothing very new really, as quite a number of my friends have gone over to petrol four strokes for larger engines because of their cleanliness and economy. Not so much for the cost saving, but the inconvenience of buying and storing considerable quantities of glow fuel.

Even an ordinary busy flying day with a 120 fourstroke will, in my experience, get through at least a half a gallon of fuel, so a stock of four or five gallons will soon be consumed. My petrol owning mates get through nothing like the amount of fuel that I use.

Never thought I'd say it but glow has had its day. IMHO. Just look what's happened to large two strokes, almost entirely sparkies now.

Edited By Cuban8 on 13/10/2018 09:57:49

Posted by Cuban8 on 13/10/2018 09:43:42:

Even an ordinary busy flying day with a 120 fourstroke will, in my experience, get through at least a half a gallon of fuel, so a stock of four or five gallons will soon be consumed. My petrol owning mates get through a fraction of the amount of glow fuel that I go through.

Edited By Cuban8 on 13/10/2018 09:51:16

Im not 100% sure i agree with you cuban. I great deal depends on which fuel you are using as high nitro will make a big difference to fuel consumption. The tune of the engine makes a big difference too and most run their engines excessively rich, especially on the bottom end.

I only mention this as the other weekend i flew my 360v powered sea fury and 300v powered P39. They are 58cc and 48cc respectively and after 2 flights with each i had used about 1/2 gallon of glow fuel which is about £7.50 worth. I then drained the tanks back into the bottle and got a reasonable amount back so i was at about a 1/3rd total use. For a 120 to use that much i would expect at least 8-10 flights and most of us dont fly that much in a day.

In any case, given that i spent £12 on the bits i brought up for the BBQ we had on the field im really not worried about it. I have had a nice day out, had a bbq, had a good time with my models and all for around 20 quid.

A full day out for 20 quid? sounds good to me.

As for OS packing in glow...i would be surprised if they stopped all together but i could see their 2 strokes being dropped. That is assuming that ASP come back online, if not OS once again have a captive audience.

Posted by Percy Verance on 13/10/2018 09:57:06:

C8

You can make a 1.20 four stroke last a busy flying day on half a gallon of fuel? I'm impressed. What's the secret?

Edited By Percy Verance on 13/10/2018 09:57:28

Best case scenario I suppose. Half a dozen flights with my Spit just cruising about at scale speed doesn't use anywhere near the performance models of course. Adds weight to the argument, and why so many big quality four stroke glows are available second hand, for not a lot of money.

Jon.

I really don't think the cost of fuel is the main factor, it's just the inconvenience and availability of buying glow fuel in relatively large quantities, and very often being limited to getting it at the shows or paying extra for having  it couriered. Just the impression that I'm getting from others.

Edited By Cuban8 on 13/10/2018 10:14:33

3 flights on my Flair Stearman with a Laser 300v using a 24oz tank will clear over 1/3 of a gallon. Do I care about the cost of glow fuel? Nope, not in the slightest, it’s a hobby and I’m more than happy to pay for fuel to get a good quality, nice sounding and reliable engine.

As more and more people switch over to electric motors, more and more I/C motor manufacturers will find that they're factories are no longer viable. It's the same with cars: The I/C motor is dead. Long live the electric motor.

BTW, if you want to make some money, invest in copper. It will be the new oil.