ASP anybody?

SIMON CRAGG

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 12/10/2018 20:04:40:

According to JE the ASP factory is moving and the engines are not available for the foreseeable future. Anybody any inside info?. Not a lot of ASP in stock on the JE site!.

Back to the OP.... I just had a look on the JE site and all the 4 STs were in stock as far as I could see and the only 2 STs showing out of stock were the 12, 46-short engine (46 standard, OK) and 91, - perhaps they just had a delivery?

I wouldn't consider the relocation of the factory as necessarily significant, as in the Far East businesses frequently relocate when there is a hike in the rent on their industrial building. Hobby King relocated about five time in the years I used to visit Hong Kong. Most hobby products are produced in batches and the different production runs are often produced in alternative locations.

If ASP cut back their 2 ST production I would not find it at all surprising however, as I find it amazing that they can turn a profit with their very low prices. They have a huge global market, I wouldn't right them off too soon.

p.s. I have just bought my first Laser (80). It is a thing of beauty and great value, so I won't be buying any more ASPs!

Advert

Possibly, there are not many nitro methane plants in the world. I think, don't shoot me if I'm wrong, there are two in Europe. So tariff barriers can effect local prices.

Mind, I would not sleep at night if fuel went from 20 to 30 dollars. That's for me, 100 dollars a year. Going to have to rob a bank.

My club makes and sells its own glow fuel rather more cheaply than you can buy it in the shops. Custom mixes are available too, but the trend is obvious, electric motors are replacing glows for powering small to medium sized models and petrol engines, available pretty cheaply from China, are replacing glows for powering larger models.

There is an opening in the market for someone who can produce a good fourstroke petrol engine and a well-known British manufacturer is working towards this end! smiley. Those that have been produced so far seem not to have been satisfactory.

I fly small to medium sized planes and like 2 sts both glow and diesels. Mainly old ones. Reason? I get longer flights on I/Cs and can't be bothered with the attendant faff recharging batteries. Re glow fuel I make my own and diesel too if I can get ether. Much cheaper then bought fuels. Re MDS and Magnum motors. I have both and find that a change of carbs with the equivalent OS and Irvine Carbs. OS for the Magnum and Irvine for the MDS. Works wonders. On top of this my pension does not allow much spare cash.so NEW engines are out My biggest engines are 10 ccs. I feel there are others like me who if I/Cs and fuel stop being available one way or another then we will be forced to drop the hobby. Are American engines cheap? That may be an answer if they are.

Posted by David Davis on 14/10/2018 05:36:27:

There is an opening in the market for someone who can produce a good fourstroke petrol engine and a well-known British manufacturer is working towards this end! smiley. Those that have been produced so far seem not to have been satisfactory.

????

Posted by Ron Gray on 14/10/2018 07:29:51:

????

I'm not fully familiar with the laws of libel or slander Ron so I will desist from naming names but the above statement is based upon the mixed reception which a new Far Eastern manufacturer has had, well documented online, and on the opinion of a club colleague who bought a petrol powered four-stroke produced by a better-known manufacturer which he found to be unsatisfactory. It vibrated too much. Perhaps he just had a bad'un and perhaps the other manufacturer has now improved his quality control in the light of some adverse publicity. I have no intention of buying either product.

The British manufacturer is of course Laser who have produced some prototype fourstroke petrol engines but they are not yet available for sale to the general public. Knowing Laser they will not be releasing the petrol engines until all of the bugs have been ironed out. Once they are available to the general public I will consider buying one as I am very pleased with the Laser glow engines which I have acquired. On the other hand I have considerable stocks of glow fuel to get through first.

However, one of the positive spin-offs from the movement away from glow engines, away from two-stroke glow engines in particular, is that they are available very reasonably on eBay for impecuneous aeromodellers.

enya 35.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 14/10/2018 08:00:19

????

Got to disagree DD. Kolm and Roto make some stunning 4t engines....just make sure the bank manager knows.

Posted by John Stainforth on 13/10/2018 19:20:18:

Jon,

OS 2 strokes are still very popular in the US. What I have noticed in the US is that the cost of glow fuel has shot up in the last couple of months from around 20 dollars a gallon for 15% nitro to around 30 dollars. Locals say they think it is because of Trump's tariffs on China, where nitromethane is made.

I am aware from my us customers that glow fuel is stupidly expensive in the USA. It has to be said though, their penchant for very high nitro content does not help them. As you mention, nitro is one of the most expensive ingredients in glow fuel. The methanol itself is not massively more expensive than petrol, its just the oil and nitro so if you come down to 5% nitro and 10% oil you will probably cut the cost by 50%

That is why i recommend the laser 5 and techpower 5 fuels over here. They are usually 17-20 quid and that really helps keep costs down. The lower oil and nitro content also means a reduced fuel consumption so its win win.

My club makes and sells its own glow fuel rather more cheaply than you can buy it in the shops. Custom mixes are available too, but the trend is obvious, electric motors are replacing glows for powering small to medium sized models and petrol engines, available pretty cheaply from China, are replacing glows for powering larger models.

Several of my flying buddies have converted to Saito petrols, from what I've seen they've been excellent. On the other hand the NGH four stroke petrols have not been so well received. I'd love to hear of others' experiences with them.

I like electric power and run several models ranging from a few hundred Watts 3S to 1.3 KW 6S. Love the convenience, cleanliness etc especially if I've only a couple of hours to spare for a few quick flights or can only fly during designated 'quiet' times - flight duration is no longer an issue.  However, nothing can beat the sound of a Fourstroke engine in a nice scale model to bring the flying experience to life IMHO. Horses for courses, naturally.

Edited By Cuban8 on 14/10/2018 10:09:25

@Cuban8 - I've got 2 NGH four strokes, both are very similar, they are noisy (even with 'quiet' silencer), messy and low on power (when compared to other makes) but are cheap - you pays your money etc etc. Saito four strokes are excellent but do take a long time to run in plus they do a range of lovely radials.................... slightly off topic, sorry.

Posted by cymaz on 14/10/2018 08:00:11:

????

Got to disagree DD. Kolm and Roto make some stunning 4t engines....just make sure the bank manager knows.

These were not the manufacturers I had in mind but thanks for the info Cymaz.

Ron, Jason. What you say confirms what I've been hearing. A shame really, as with a bit of development and quality control they have the makings of a reasonable product. I wouldn't touch one myself, but for the time being will be sticking with my ASPs and OSs (glows).

A quality petrol four stroke is going to be a considerable investment for most people, including myself,  but I suspect the next time I need a 120 size or above, it'll have to be a petrol.

Edited By Cuban8 on 14/10/2018 12:12:11

Posted by Paul Marsh on 14/10/2018 10:01:45:

I've bought 2 stroke engines for £2 to £5 recently. How about 2 Thunder Tiger GP 42's for £4 each? And bought a OS MAx-S engine for £2.

I went to a local club's bring and buy last Thursday. I took a large box of engines with a whole range from .09 to .61, most in good condition and the largest proportion were OS. Not a single person even asked the price of any of them, though i sold a box of carbs for a fiver, and I sold a nice Freebird that I built from an RCM&E plan with an OS10FSR motor for £8. That was the only offer I had on any of my 8 planes that had IC motors - most of them RTF with servos, receivers (35mHz) and batteries. All the planes that I saw guys walking out with were electric, and I bought a couple myself.

Edited By Dave Hess on 14/10/2018 12:55:26

Posted by SIMON CRAGG on 20/10/2018 09:43:04:

Hobbyking are now listing the ASP .46 as "discontnued"......not good news at all.

I've switched everything over to electric. As far as I can see, electric is cheaper, better power to weight ratio, more reliable, more consistent and cleaner. Maybe it's time to bury those relics from the past or put them in a museum.