Carb Problems

cymaz

Just tried to start my RCGF 30cc single gas engine. Great spark and the timing is at 28* before TDC. The carb is a HLIC 10Z, my best estimate going by the id numbers and logo on the carb body.

The engine will run on the prime but then go dry. There is plenty of fuel in the carb as I've checked it with the top off. There is a reed block after the carb. There is signs of fuel on all four petals (?).

I've also tried a different ignition box and battery with the same results. Fires then goes dry.

I'm thinking that it could be the reed block playing up or it has a small crack or something like that. I've managed to order a new one with the manifold block. I will also get a carb service kit.

What are views of the engineers out there?? I would love to know your opinions and you spin on it.

Advert

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Boys, I think the needle on the diaphram side of the carb is stuck, probably with dried up fuel, whip the cover and lift out the diaphram, press the arm down gently watching the needle lift off its seat and reassemble, start it with a splash of fuel down the carb or keep flicking with full choke and half throttle to draw fuel through. this often happens when they have been left for a while, i think the petrol evaporates and leaves the sticky oil behind Pete

Hi cymaz . Has the carb been taken off before you had it ? If you suspect it has then check the carb gasket and that the carb pressure pulse passage hole in the reed block , gasket and carb line up . Its a hole on the carb face that fits to the reed just outside the main venturi hole. With this hole blocked the carb will not get a pressure pulse from the crankcase to pump any fuel and run dry as you describe . Its a simple thing to overlook. As also said if the diaphragm drys out then they can get brittle and hard and wont pump any fuel.

I’ve changed the float needle valve and the diaphragm and reed block after it wouldn’t run - just started on the prime.

It then began to run but wouldn’t slow to idle, only running at over about 3000rpm or so. I thought it also could be a front bearing leaking.

I am going to change the bearings as well....all that will be original is the crankcase, head and piston !

Hi Cymaz has the spring been removed from the carb butterfly valve ? this can cause wear resulting in a fast idle. The bearings if suspect could have worn the oils seals This can result in hard starting and poor idle The seals I believe are fitted in the bearings as opposed to separate oil seals but not sure . The crank case compression is more important than cylinder compression as thats the only way fuel can get to the cylinder , That would be my next check if it still runs fast .

• 1 month later...

Just ran up the engine again. It’s had new bearings, Walbro  carb swapped from the old Hi-Lo, reed block, gaskets. It started but ran really rough and wouldn’t pick up at all.

What to do? Just as well I bought a new ignition box from Just Engines. Swapped out the old one and wired in the Rcexl unit........different engine altogether! Smooth idle, clean acceleration from idle to WOT.

party

So the conclusion is that it was the ignition box all along. Although the rest of the work done and new parts put on the engine will not do any harm and may stop any potential problems for a while yet.

Time to fit it into the Dragon Lady.......clock

Edited By cymaz on 09/12/2018 17:52:15

Ran the engine again on Monday evening after work. I have turned the carb 180* to where the final position would be for fitting into the airframe and added an inlet extension. So I was keen to see if the engine would still run, and it still does!

Leaned out the carb a little more. As a result it’s running smoother and the throttle response is very good......the Walbro carb doing its duty.

• 1 year later...

Put the old carb on , Hlic carb. Wouldn’t draw fuel. Took the diaphragm off only to the gasket was on the wrong side. Put it in the correct way round and it draws fuel well and it doesn’t drain from the fuel line.

Will try and start it tomorrow and report back

Did the engine run today. I put the HLic carb on. To start with it wouldn’t draw fuel. Thinking it was completely dry, I took off the diaphragm cover. Turns out the gasket and diaphragm were the wrong way around. First run the gasket on the reed cage was leaking. Luckily, the RCGF and DLE are straight swaps. New gasket ....perfect. Draws fuel well now and holds it nicely in the delivery pipe.

Video on YouTube shows the second run with a warm engine. I’m not a fan of watching a engine being endlessly flicked over for hours.

30:1 fuel/oil mix, CM6 plug, Xoar 20x8 prop. DLE exhaust. 28* before TDC timing.

Instead of using a petrol oil mix have you ever thought about using one of the pre-mixed alkylitic fuels ? Husqvarna do their own another is called Aspen2 . they contain NO ethanol to rot out fuel lines or any other rubber bits or any of the other harmful chemicals that get added to fuel,and its evironmentally friendly . I've even found in small two stroke engines it'll de-gunk a carb the other added bonus is ..... it has a higher octane rating too

Edited By Andrew Dunn 1 on 15/04/2020 17:11:13

We are lucky where I live to have a Texaco garage in town. The Super Unleaded fuel from Texaco contains no ethanol. I always use this for my Rc engines and lawnmower.

The nearest stockiest for Aspen 2 is about 10 miles away and costs just above £5/ litre. I’ve not yet had any problems with rot. The only problem I’ve had is fuel tubing hardening up. Clunky lines are changed and inspected regularly. Hopes this helps.