Weston Glow Fuel

Rocker

Someone in our Flying Club has recommended Weston Liquid Gold Glow fuel but no one else is using it in our club .Just check it out on their Web site and I like the price and free postage on 4 gallons but what is it like ? ,it is a good price but is it a good fuel ?

Advert

I've only used a gallon of the 10% so far, but no problems at all.

main weapon of choice is Irvine 53 on an enya No3 plug, up until now on MT Irvine sport mix - changed to Weston because of price..... 4 gallons delivered for about £60 !!!

no drama's on change over either.......ran the last tank of MT, filled up with Weston mix, couple of clicks of the needle at the top end and haven't touched it since. Put a tank through an SC46 just for test.......all went fine.

I know it's hardly a conclusive test but I'd say early signs encouraging.............much better than those wiggly amps engine thingies

I note the viper fuel is stated as containing 18pc oil.

Quote 'to comply with warrantee'

Is that a new thing for weston fuel?

I spoke to Weston years ago, about this. I was told that the 18% was at the request of some buyers, as they wanted 18%. Most engine instructions from yesteryear stated a minimum of 15/20 oil. back in the days of Castor. modern oils are much better. When i first bought some weston fuel , i bought 1/2 gal of all there fuels. both 5 and 10 % nitro. we found the 10% the best. The Viper with the 18% smoked and cough a bit.

Hi Rocker,

I`ve been investigating Weston UK Liquid Gold for my project, posted on this site. Some have suggested using this fuel for my Super Tigre S3000/30cc engine. Weston told me that this fuel was developed with this engine in mind, because it requires a 10% oil content. I`m going to order some for use in this engine alone, and continue using 20% oil mixes for my other engines. Personally I would use the fuel mix recommened by the engine manufacturer. Your right! Liquid Gold is an attractive price, but will it still be so if your engine wears out quicker?

Regards Roger

Hi everyone,

It would seem I brought this debate to an end. Whoops! That wasn`t my intention at all, so I`ve done something I hope is worthy of more comments.

The original query was, Is Liquid Gold as an attractive as its price suggests and is it good fuel?

Well I`ll try answering that like this:

I`ve not used this fuel myself, but others have noted its good, I`ve looked at other sites where modellers use it. Its easy to find people who says its good, use it regulary, have no complaints, and recommend it.

Anyway, I`ve ordered some fuel from Weston UK, Liquid Gold 5% nitro x 2, Pro snyth 5% x 1, Pro synth 10% x 1, so as to get the free carraige on four gallons.

So: " Is Liquid Gold still an attractive price if your engine wears out quicker?"

I`ve done a few sums to look at this, a few things are assumptions and may contain errors, (Disclaimer).laugh

The price differance on 1 Gall LG 5% and 1 Gall PS 5% is £2.43

If you would take as an example an, ASP .61 2S at a price of around £87.00 inc pp, and use a 9oz/270cc tank.

It would take about, 21 Gall of fuel used to save £87.00 approx. This, I think!... Is what is required.

So 21gal = 95000cc... You would need to use 352 tank fulls of fuel.

During 1 season you have to make 352 flights to use all the fuel.

This is only 6.8 flights a week. Every year you could buy a new engine, (warranty void of course).

Providing that: The same engine lasts that long, (modern engineering probably would).

So now you have to go flying in order to save money to buy that new engine!laugh

Didn`t fancy building tonight so done this instead!

Roger

• 2 months later...

There's so much twaddle talked about westons fuel, I've used prosynth 10% from about 1994 to 2002 then I started buying liquid gold 15% and used it ever since. On average I use about 6 gallons annually, sometimes more, sometimes less.

One engine worth mentioning is a YS 45 2 stroke which I bought second hand in 1997, it's run exclusively on westons fuel since then.

When I bought it it had a minipipe on and had been around the world several times. On 15% fuel it is phenomenal. On a hangar 9 F-22 I fitted it with an 8 x10 apc prop and it turned around 18000 rpm, far too noisy so it flew regularly with a 9x8 at about 17000 rpm. Still too noisy though. It's next home is a wot 4 with a funfly prop so hopefully it'll be less noisy.

If I take the prop off I cannot turn the engine over compression by hand on the prop driver and it's still on the same set of bearings it came with. I've only changed the plug once.

I reckon I've put at least 40 - 50 hours on it whilst I've had it.

Now if you compare asp or their clones would you expect them to last that long anyway?

I also have an OS 52 4 stroke that I got second hand in the 90s and it still works fine, I don't think the tappets have ever needed adjustment.

So unless you can compare engines of a standard level of quality your not really comparing like for like as asp, sc etc seem to have have varying levels of quality.

Westons sell the magnum brand of engines which are clones of SC and ASP and they recommend their fuel for them whereas just engines don't for asp, why I wonder.

One other comment I'll make about the fuel, I can't ever remember having a piston ring stick whilst using engines brought out of layup as opposed to those engines that have a dose of castor in their fuel.

I agree with above. I took the plunge with Weston 10% about 6 months ago. Bought 4 galls and have used about 2.5 galls of it. mainly through an Irvine 53 and an SC46 with a few tanks through an ASP1.80fs and had no problems at all. In short I think it's great fuel and a really good price........local shop is selling MT Irvine sport at nearly twice the price of Weston

I have been a user of Weston Prosynth 2000 5% and 10% for at least 8 years. Started using when I got tired of the price of Model Technics. I run it in 4 stroke and 2 stroke engines from OS, Irvine, ASP & Laser with no problems. I have never had a bearing problem and have very few issues with gumming up even after leaving engines for over a year with no usage. I get comments about why use it when you don’t what’s in it but it works for me and I have never heard a poor comment from anyone who has actually used it.

• 2 months later...

Agree with all of the positive points on Weston Fuels. I use the 10% Liquid Gold and all engines run well. A stubborn 70 four stroke that struggled with Model Technics (prone to dead sticking) works so much better on Liquid Gold.

The service from Weston is excellent - ordered 4 galls on Wednesday afternoon - arrived Thursday afternoon. From Weston to Central Scotland and with other bits and pieces in the order benefiting from the free postage.