Best Heating Option For Your Hobby Shed

I fitted one to my 10 ft by 15ft workshop last Friday to replace the 3kw fan heater I had been using. I swapped over because we have recently been fitted with a smart meter and then became aware of the cost of running a fan heater. I love it and found that even without a silencer it is not an obtrusive noise (about the same as our central heating flue). My workshop is at the bottom of a 120ft garden and I was surprised to find that the remote worked at that distance. The exhaust runs through a short length of 30mm copper pipe that serves as a heat barrier where it passes through the wall. I, like you have protected the remaining exhaust with a wire cage. It has been running about 10 hours in total so far and consumed about 1.5litres of diesel. 3 of my mates have been to inspect it, one has already ordered one. Nothing but praise for it.

Martin

Hi Martin. Thanks for the post and your reply is exactly why I posted the video in the first place in the hope others would start to enjoy their winter shed... Honestly think the best compliment I have had so far - although a little expensive - was from my wife who brought a cup of tea up to me in the shed...

After walking into the shed and feeling the warmth she just said...

I want one of those. That said it all... Merry Christmas & may you always stay warm. Regards Peter

Posted by Martin Harris on 29/12/2018 17:16:49:

I've taken the plunge too. I have a Royal Mail tracking number from a seller in Liverpool...fingers crossed for the ETA of Monday week but the Royal Mail tracking site isn't giving me any info yet - although I've been using things for days before getting any updates from them in the past!

I have just just ordered one from a firm in Liverpool as well, priced at £159.99 . Expected delivery is 8th to 10th of Jan . I wont be holding my breath though. I ordered one from a Manchester based firm early in December at £142.99 and noticed that all others on e-bay were then costing £150 plus .I had a refund just before Christmas probably as they didn't want to sell for the lower price . Excuse was that new stock was faulty ?

P.S If its not here by mid January then no hope as its Chinese new year and everything closes down for a week or so 

Edited By Engine Doctor on 29/12/2018 17:40:32

I've been using an electric convector heater in my workshop for years, which wasn't too extortionate, but now think I may also be in the market for a diesel heater too. Just been hit, stung, bludgeoned, robbed ........ by my energy supplier's price hike with a ridiculous increase in my monthly direct debit !!!!! disgust

Hi Martin. I’ve been in my shed✈️ and wife’s been in her craft cabin 👩🏻‍🦰 for over five hours and we have both been warm and toasty with our heaters on - so shortly you will be joining the “Toasty Club”.🔥🔥🔥

You will not regret your purchase and if you have the same unit as me then just get the case off to ensure nothings come loose in transit - including the fuse - if it’s got one internally fitted - then install & prime and away you go. You’ll then be warm 🔥and toasty too... Two things to beware of... (1) your wife may want a craft cabin to play - mine did and it’s BIGGER THAN MY SHED😂 (2) Wife brings you a cup of tea and feels the warmth in your shed then says 🤷‍♀️💁🏻‍♀️ “I want one of those” pointing to the heater. 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

Hope you don’t have to wait too long and the tracking does work but only after Royal Mail have it... Regards Peter

Hi flying Brian. If that’s what you want it’s not a suitable unit. After the temperature you set is reached they reduce heat output to around 2kW so that’s all the control you have. The way it works is more like a furnace and it needs to reach a certain heat level to maintain combustion. I tend to turn my heater off at LEAST half hour before I want to pack up and the wife is starting to do the same... These heaters keep you toasty, cheaply, easily. Regards Peter

Hi Supertiger. If you read my very first entry you will see how I got to know about them... Since that time I have met a number of self employed couriers who have them and delivered to our home. Seems leaving the engine running while you walk to deliver the parcel is not ideal as your van could get nicked. Starting / stopping the engine doing the ridiculous amount of drops they have to do is also not ideal as it kills the battery.

Perhaps you can understand why the courier drivers like them...

I am pleased that so many have found this thread useful and if I had 100 in stock I am sure I could have sold them or if I was on commission I could have done very well however the reason I posted this thread was to inform people so that building and pottering around in the shed did not have to stop when it got cold and I feel the number of visitors to the thread would show lots have taken up this heating option. Stay warm. Peter

Hi again. They do not fit the unit I have show here but go for the less expensive kits which start on eBay for around £120 which includes everything required that you need. They tend to fit them under the passenger seat on the ones I’ve seen. Go and have a search and you will be surprised where they get fitted...

Hi again. Information I have is only what I have read or in conversation with drivers but I suspect the major reason for the shortage is simply because it’s the time of the year it gets cold. Also another most important factor is the daft price as the original German design (the Chinese one is a copy) is around 5 times more... Sorry it wontdo your shop but it’s fantastic for my shed and my wife’s craft cabin... Regards Peter

Mine arrived today at long last.

But, trust me to be the person to get a bad one. Although the box it came in looked OK, inside was a very different story. The base plate is very badly damaged, as are several of the clips. The exhaust pipe is chipped but would work.

The `instruction book`, and I use the term lightly, is for the 2kW version, only showing a picture near the back of two different display panels, one of which is similar to mine. No clues as to how to use the buttons.

Obviously I shall have to contact the seller and get it replaced/refunded but I doubt if another would arrive while I still need it this winter.

Hi Martin. Sorry to hear about your issues but I have to say that all three of the heaters I have had delivered did have bent base plates but as they could all be bent back by hand I never felt it was a problem for me. Regarding instructions - or lack of them. I found YouTube to be the best advice learning from others who had been there before. So here is a good link. **LINK** I also look at the files in The Chinese Diesel Heater Site on Facebook as the files section is great for help although please bear in mind it’s a help forum and as with them all you have to use your own intelligence to pull out the correct information from misinformation... one thing most important once you get it going is to always put it up to high for at least five minutes before you shutdown as this prevents sooting and also don’t play with the settings as they are far from straightforward and are a recipe for disaster for the twiddles- just like Windows can be to that mouse click with people who click first & think after. Keep in touch and I will help any way I can. Regards Peter

Posted by FlyinBrian on 30/12/2018 08:31:28:

Peter

Sorry have not read whole thread but how controllable are these heaters, can you keep them running all the time at a low setting? say 10 ceg C to prevent damp and condensation.

Ta

The heaters are not designed for low turn down....doing so causing them to carbon up due to the lower temperatures....hence the minimum 2kw setting..