Cutting steel wire

nigel newby

Advert

I would silver solder a Z bent piece of bike spoke wire to one end of the cable before cutting it. Then tin the area of the intended cut with a small piece of silver solder & cut with a dremel disc. The silver solder can be neatly filed flush with the steel strands in order to be able to slide the cable through the bowden outer. A threaded clevis connector socket is then soft soldered to the cable. To avoid damaging the plastic outer it's best to use a crocodile clip on the inner to act as a heat shunt whilst soldering the connector in place.

Posted by Joe Beavis on 11/12/2018 21:00:36:

The cutters in Ron Gray's post look good. Felco also make excellent cable cutters. You will never regret having the proper tool, as they also cut piano wire more cleanly than side cutters.

Side cutters are only good for "soft" metal they will be damaged first time they're used to cut piano wire & won't last long on steel bowden inner wire either.
IMO using a dremel disc is the most economical, satisfactory method.

Posted by Ron Gray on 11/12/2018 22:22:24:

Using the 'correct' cutters the cable will not fray making soldering unnecessary for cutting purposes. Many years of cutting control cables for bikes and motorbikes proved this to me!

My experience exactly. But I've both built and maintained a lot of bikes so my cutters were worth buying.

Geoff

@PatMc - very true, like Geoff, I bought mine some years ago before I got back into R/C so the cost didn’t come into it. Having said that, most ‘planes I built now have pull/pull systems so they are still used quite a bit. Still, is £26 a lot?

Edited By Ron Gray on 11/12/2018 23:07:28

Ron, if I had the same interest in bikes & motorbikes as yourself I'm sure I'd have bought the same or similar cutters. But since I haven't I'm happy using a dremel to cut steel wire & cable.
I also often use pull/pull systems, the fishing trace wire I use is plastic coated, so there's no fraying problem & it's easily cut using side cutters.

Nigel, I've been soldering using lead/tin solder for close on 70 years. The fumes you get with flux-cored solder is mostly from the flux. I'd be surprised if the Bowden cable itself had any lead content.

I once worked with a guy who had a habit of holding the solder in his mouth but I wouldn't recommend it

Geoff

Two things. As a returnee I hesitate to tangle with my elders and betters, but my sidecutters regularly go through piano wire upto about 18 swg as well as any bowden cable and they have one mark, which was some 16 g wire. Knipex, not cheap.

Lead solder has become inapplicable through plumbing requirements and I'd guess plumbers use tons, or even tonnes of the stuff for every ounce we modellers use. Thorough nuisance where a LiPo eg has been tinned with lead-free.

BTC