Glue for foamy?

Rocker

Here is a really dumb question When you buy a ARTF Foamy ,some kits come with a sort of contact glue to glue the components together .it is like the old glue used in the old Airfix kits .When I look to buy this glue because I find it better then Epoxy or super glue I can not find it anywhere .All I find in the Model Shops is either Epoxy Glue or Superglue .What is the best glue for foamy if you do not want to use Epoxy or superglue ?

Advert

Rocker, I used UHU Por to glue my Durafly Vampire together and there is no sign of it comming apart after years of abuse. Multiplex recommend their Zacki for their 'elapor' foam models (EPO to you and me). Zacki just seems to be a slightly viscous cyano but it works very well. I just wondered why you prefer UHU Por? As Sonny says UHU Por is a contact adhesive so once the parts are pushed together it 'grabs' so not much chance of adjustment. Sometimes I find it can be preferable to aligh the parts and then dribble Cyano into the join or alternatively coat the parts to be joined and confidently push them together which will give you a moment for adjustment (you hope!). Be warned, if using thin cyano it will find its way through every nook and cranny, so you may end up glueing parts that shouldn't - including glueing your hand to your model! When using cyano on EPO sometimes it is necessary to use kicker to accelerate it but it can make the glue go yellow. Like you say, alternatively use UHU Por!

Posted by Rocker on 17/12/2018 20:52:16:

So UHU Por would be strong enough to glue say the tail plane and fin OK

Edited By Rocker on 17/12/2018 20:52:58

Using UHU Por as the directions recommend - ie leave to dry for several minutes - make absolutely sure you get t right first time because it really is a contact adhesive. I usually assemble before then to allow a little adjustment. So yes, it'll be fine for the tail plane and fin.

Unless the foamie is EPO then only use foam-safe cyano. EPO, which is very common, is OK with normal cyano. If in any doubt try on some scrap.

Geoff

For years I have used UHU Por for my indoor EPP Shockie style models. The Por joints on the oldest models are turning yellow and becoming brittle. This aging effect happens slowly over several years and I suspect many models will not survive long enough for it to be a problem but some of my models are well over 5 years old. It will be interesting to see if Foam2Foam is better in this respect.