New Tv. It's Good But...........

Former Member

Thanks for the link BackinBlack. I spoke to them and ordered the free filter. lets see if it works.

Didn't realise this was such a common problem, I thought it was just me and my telly was starting to go on the blink. at800 confirmed there was a lot of 4G usage in my area and are sending out a filter. Nice easy fix if it works, I'll let you know.

Nev.

Edited By Nev on 03/01/2019 19:51:49

Advert

It does make me laugh in this day and age, and with the techno advances of tv, that we still can't get a reception! Its like having the latest £1k phone, but you can't use it where you live because of crap reception - its unacceptable.

Anyway, we live in a valley and have poor reception for tv, radio, and mobile phones. However, there is so much alternative choice now that there really is no reason to put up with dodgy reception, we use SKY and internet based services, and they offer plenty of channels. There are others......

Edited By Rich too on 04/01/2019 06:52:41

happy new year Percy, we changed our tv recently ..first off we bought a Toshiba....wouldn't do what it was supposed to do...took it back and exchanged it for a Samsung...……..both had/have great pictures...but the smart features were letting down the Toshiba.....if your not 100% happy..take it back and get a different branded set...

ken anderson...ne...1.... happy dept.

Posted by Rich too on 04/01/2019 06:51:33:

It does make me laugh in this day and age, and with the techno advances of tv, that we still can't get a reception! Its like having the latest £1k phone, but you can't use it where you live because of crap reception - its unacceptable.

Anyway, we live in a valley and have poor reception for tv, radio, and mobile phones. However, there is so much alternative choice now that there really is no reason to put up with dodgy reception, we use SKY and internet based services, and they offer plenty of channels. There are others......

Edited By Rich too on 04/01/2019 06:52:41

There's no mobile phone or Satnav reception inside our house, though it's OK outside so we're obliged to have an old fashioned phone line Internal wifi doesn't work either so we have to use Ethernet connections from the router to our PCs. One of the disadvantages of living in a house with stone walls 2' thick.

Geoff

We don't have a mobile phone signal in our house and very weak outside. We have a Sure Signal box from Vodaphone which plugs into the router and acts like a mini base station. We now have a strong signal inside and outside the house. Really works well. I understand other phone companies do a similar device.

Percy

I would endorse what Pete Christy said earlier about making sure your set is tuning to the best transmitter. Setting the postcode may not be sufficient. Explore the settings menu and you should be able to find info on the transmitter, multiplexer etc.

We have to use an aerial amplifier to get any freeview signal at all. You could try one of these:

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5713543

It appears to have a 4g filter built in.

Loads of info on freeview transmitters here. Zoom in on your area, and double click on a transmitter symbol and you'll get a coverage map.

https://ukfree.tv/maps/freeview

I know you don't need this to work as you have freesat, like me. But like yourself, I like things to work as they should. Things are so complicated now. I can remember the excitement when we got 625 lines and BBC2!

remember you can get all the freeview channels and a bit more (better picture to) with freesat which uses the sky dish so if you got a new tv thats got a sat tuner in it all you need is a disk no need to pay sky anything . also there are satalite freesat set top boxes available too cheeply

so if your arial reception is no good just go freesat for freeyes

Percy, we have a Humax Freeview PVR (HDR-FOX T2) & experienced similar pixelation problems to those that you've described when we watched the TV direct - i.e. not via the Humax box. Short version of long story - the problem turned out to be caused by the Humax "power management" setting.
It's possible that the Humax Freesat *& Freeview boxes use the same, or similar, power management settings.
As only takes a few minutes to check the setting & if necessary change there's nothing to lose if it's not causing the problem.
Go to the "Setting power saving in standby", if it's "On" turn it "Off" & see if that makes the difference.