Famous model flyers

I met Howard Boys a few times many many years ago, (1950's -1960's). He was a member of our the local Rugby MESAS club. Rugby Model Engineers Society Aero Section.

He occasionally flew some of his single channel RC models at Brownsover, Rugby, and also at Church Lawford aerodrome.

There is a tribute to him on the 'antiquemodelaircraft' site.

Ray.

Hanno Prettner used to fly at the Sandown shows in the 1990s. And very good he was too. I have one of the little signed cards that he used to hand out there.

hanno.jpg

It's on my model room wall beside two signed posters from Christophe Paysant-Le Roux who continued the "modelling celebrity" slot in the years at Sandown after Hanno stopped.

Ayrton Senna has been mentioned, I have a magazine article somewhere about his model flying - possibly in one of the French mags.

Also mentioned earlier was Mike Oldfield. Tubular Bells is probably his best-known album, but his second album Hergest Ridge is named after a hill near where he lived at the time and a model glider appears in the image of the hill on the album cover.

The late, great Derek Piggott, who died on Jan 6th., aged 96. He was a member of Croydon & DMAC and was on the first British post-War Wakefield team in 1948 at Akron, Ohio. During the War he flew Horsas and Hadrians and also Dakotas doing supply-dropping in Burma. He went on to become a legend in gliding as CFI at Lasham from 1953-89. He did the stunt flying for Magnificemt Men and The Blue Max, during which he flew a replica Fokker Triplane under a bridge (actually in Co. Wicklow, rather than France), as well as many other movies. He set a UK altitude record of 17,000 feet flying a Sedbergh, with an ATC cadet in the righthand seat ( and a couple of weeks later was one of those who taught me to fly a T-31 at RAF Detling).