Curious ? I have just seen this advertised on you-know-where.

**LINK**

I, like many others, though Flair had stopped production. Interestingly, the name of the registered director at companies house is a chap called "Dean".

Flair never used to supply short kits as far as I am aware. Also the cowl is not fully shaped as per original, being flat at the front with no return.

I wonder if this is someone cashing in on the current high prices commanded for the old kits at the moment.

Talking of which, if anyone is silly enough to want to part with over £200.00 for an old Pupeteer, or Legionaire kit I might know where there a couple that might be available. wink 2

Advert

Posted by Broken Prop on 11/02/2019 21:35:44:

Thanks also Kevin, not for the heads up on the Pup, but on that page I spotted the Tiger Moth refurb kit.

I have been looking for that for months!

Glad to be of service !

Something just doesn't seem right about it. They can't be overruns as the wood is too big to go in a Flair box and the cowl just doesn't look "professional" enough for Flair. It also says "New stock" as if Flair are now producing them.

Has anybody heard anything from Flair recently ?

I understand that latterly Flair has become part of a management training organisation. Kit production is/was used as an exercise in logistical/production planning etc. Thus, periodically they would produce a small batch of kits as consequence of the training courses.

Kit production is no longer their mainstream activity. I would guess the parts for sale (and hardware) are the same as produced when the kits were produced full-time.

I have heard the same thing Robert describes.

I would take issue with a statement Kevin makes about the uncut cowl being not "professional" enough.

I have built 3 Flair kits that were made back when the company was based in Blunsdon: Baronette, Hannibal and Dr.1 and none of those kits had a cowl that was pre-cut. They all looked much as the one in the eBay link.

It's not a problem to a model builder to cut a cowl and I would say the supplied item is fine. Perhaps it's not economic to perform the cutting operations on the cowls or a new supplier is in use who cannot or will not carry out this work?

In my opinion given the RRPs of the last Flair kits I saw, I think the semi-kit option as seen here is a good one. Only supplying the pre-cut wooden parts, the wire struts etc and leaving the strip and sheet stock wood out makes the package more reasonable value for money.

If it prolongs the availability of such proven kits then I think it's a good idea

Thanks for the response folks.

My concern was that these were not genuine items and someone was trying to take advantage of the lack of availability of the kits.

I have contacted Flair and can confirm that these are genuine part kits and that full kits are also going to be available. They are however having some issues with the aluminium cowls apparently.

If anyone is looking for a kit I would suggest contacting them to discuss availability. The kits on ebay are being sold by Dean and I am pleased that production is going to continue.

For my part, the Airsail model kits are now under ownership of another U.K kit manufacturer and hopefully the full range should be available towards the end of the year.

Some pictures of exactly what you get in the short kit would be nice. Flair still have a lot of potential to become a major supplier of kits as they were twenty-odd years ago - I suppose Ebay is a start, but those who would typically  be attracted to their kits, might not exactly be Ebay types!

I'm just sorry that a once powerful name in modelling has withered to the state that it's in now; ironic, as their products on the second hand market or new/unused are so sought after.

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/02/2019 12:30:25

It seems pretty clear from the pictures in the eBay listing what you get.

And there's a list of what you get:

Included in the kit are -- 

Laser cut formers 
Die cut wing ribs 
Aluminium cowl 
Hardwood bag. 
7 sheet plan and assy set 
Instruction booklet 
Sheet and strip material list required to complete the build. 

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 12/02/2019 12:29:25

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 12/02/2019 12:28:45:

It seems pretty clear from the pictures in the eBay listing what you get.

And there's a list of what you get:

Included in the kit are --

Laser cut formers
Die cut wing ribs
Aluminium cowl
Hardwood bag.
7 sheet plan and assy set
Instruction booklet
Sheet and strip material list required to complete the build.

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 12/02/2019 12:29:25

Fair enough, pics are there, missed them when I looked first time.sadLook very good, worth a punt.

Edited By Cuban8 on 12/02/2019 12:38:59

Looks quite genuine to me. The business is given in full and is in Nottingham (a stone's throw from my then girlfriend's flat - now my wife ).

The cowl is different in that it hasn't got a hole in the front but I noticed another eBay advert at the bottom which offers Flair scout cowls for about £10 inc post.

If you fancy a Puppeteer then I would have thought worth a punt at £90. I'd quite fancy it myself but I already have one unflown for years plus I'm waiting for the DB Pup kit to become available, which will be a lot more expensive (at least double).

Geoff

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...