Saved from the bin

Ron Gray

Just under 2 years ago I was flying my DLE55 powered 2m ish SU26 but made a right mess of some (too) low level aeros which resulted in a coming together between 'plane and terra firma (tarmac runway). The damage was quite severe, the following photo shows some of the damage.

img_2497.jpg

I gathered up the bits and took them back to the hangar where they stood in the corner gathering dust. About 6 weeks ago I decided to get rid of the bits but before I did I had a closer inspection of the damage. Here is a list of what I found:

1. Top of rudder missing - ground off upon contact.

2. Bottom of rudder smashed as a result of tailwheel assembly being pushed up into it - C/F tailwheel assembly smashed.

3. Port wing forced into fuse crushing inboard section of wing and breaking fuse structure around wing mounting. Initially I thought the rest of the wing was OK but it was the film holding most of it together!

4. Starboard wingtip ground off upon contact with tarmac.

5. Canopy front section smashed as a result of cowl being pushed back into it.

6. Main fuse side rails crushed back to fuel tank as a result of engine being pushed back.

7. Bulkhead split.

8. Engine mounting box in several pieces.

9. Cowl mounting ring in many pieces.

10. F/Glass cowl - underside crushed.

11. DLE 55 - several cylinder fins ground off from contact with tarmac.

11. CLE 55 - flexi header pipe crushed.

12. Underside of fuse U/C mounting plate and supports snapped ripped out and crushed.

13. Underside of fuse around exhaust can crushed.

Now the surprising thing is that with the exception of the underside of the fuse all other fuse damage had left most of etc covering film intact so I decided to have a go repairing the damage. Fortunately I had a spare wing for it otherwise I may not have bothered with the repair as the port wing was well and truly a lost cause.

Anyway without boring you with the details of the rebuilding works this is what it looks like now with just the cowl to sort out.

ad06d718-ad51-4a54-8933-ca2521351eeb.jpeg

0704ba39-0455-487e-abe6-ea3d953f1ba3.jpeg

Which just goes to show that even 'lost causes' are worth a second look and can be rather enjoyable.

Hopefully it will be up in the air again next week.

Advert

We have a chap in our club who used to regularly reduce ARTFs and beautifully built kits to little more than matchwood (he's much better at the flying lark now, thankfullywink), and would diligently put all the bits back together very much as Ron has done. On one occasion, I refused to believe that a model that was smithereens a few weeks ago, was not a brand new item, until he showed me the patchwork of gluelines in the fuz. One has to take one's hat off to such determination and handiwork. yes

Thanks for all your comments but to be honest it does look better from a distance! I'll take some close up shots of it to show some of the work I've done to get it to the state it's in now and you'll see what I mean. Regarding the cowl, I've got 2 choices, I can repair the damaged one by re-glassing from the inside and rebuilding the mounting ring or I could use a spare one that I have - guess which option I'll be using?!!! Soon after I bought the plane I was fortunate enough to be able to get a spare wing (the port one as luck would have it) a spare cowl and spare elevators. As I've described above, the wing that took the brunt of the damage was the port one so I was in luck!