Hi I'm Laura

Hi everyone my name is Laura, 22 from Derbyshire. I joined here as my dad was huge into model planes and I used to fly them with him when i was younger. I gave it up after I left school but now feel I want to get back into learning about them as he died 4 years ago now so I feel attached to come back to the hobby I enjoyed with him.

Feel free to say hi, I want to ask and learn lots while I am here to will ask away if that's ok. Thanks and hi again, Laura x

Advert

Hi Laura & welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about the loss of your Dad.

But you've come to the right place....centuries if experience on here so any question you like...ask away. Are you planning to join a local club & learn to fly there? If you used to fly with your Dad I'm sure the knack will soon return.

Enjoy your new hobby...thumbs up

Hello Laura and welcome to the forum,

Sorry to hear that you lost your father when you were so young.

Was he into electric models, models fitted with internal combustion engines or did he dabble in both? If you're already an experienced pilot I expect that you'll be joining a local club.

It's a shame that you don't live close to me in the middle of France. Lady members are not charged club fees in my club in order to encourage female participation.

lady member are admitted free 2.jpg

Hi Laura.

Great to have you join this madhouse.

I am sure that you will get back into the knack of flying very quicklyand I am sure that any club would welcome you, I know that ours would.

Ask all the questions that you like here. You will get some conflicting discussions but I am sure that you will soo sort the wheat from the chaff.

Hi guys and thank you soooo much for the welcome! My dad died years back now so I'm totally ok with it and am enjoying life.

I am not an experienced flyer as I was quite young and mostly watched my dad so have lots to learn and am grateful to have you guys to help me with tips and advice. I will definitely need a couple of great pointers!

And women for free at clubs how cool is that wow is that a bit sexiest though lol!?

My dad flew electric ones I remember but I don't remember much else just that he had two and they were old war type planes which looked really cool.

Thanks again, look forward to chatting more to you. Oh and why is this a "madhouse" lol!? Laura x

Hi Laura, welcome to the best flying forum around. Peter Miller is a renowned model plane designer, builder and flier. "The madhouse"is just an expression of all the great building and flying queries etc that goes on with this very freindly forum lol. The Chit chat section is also very informative on all subjects. Cheers

Posted by Laura Stevenage on 13/04/2019 09:26:36:

Oh and why is this a "madhouse" lol!? Laura x

Give it a few weeks and you will have your answer

I echo the comments of the other guys though and welcome you back.

I suppose the next step for you would be to work out exactly what equipment (if any) you current have from your father, and then consider which direction you would like to go. I personally favour an ic (internal combustion) engine powered model but others favour electric. There are pro's and con's to each so you have decide on what you think is best.

Hi Laura

My suggestion is go to a club, you will learn a lot there from people who have years of experience. I find most radio control flyers very helpful, if they have a club trainer and offer you a flight just except it as it is a good ice breaker. Even though will you think you have made a mess of the flight the one taking you up will have experienced it all before. Most clubs will be glad to welcome new members and we understand as we had to start somewhere ourselves. Not only that but having a female member will help them in behaving themselves!

Welcome to the forum Laura. There is a British Model Flying Association Club finder here which might help if you, just click on the area where you live. There is usually a link to the club website and contact details as some club flying sites can be hard to locate.

There is a model shop finder here and I think another on this Modelflying forum (but I can't find it) blush.

I would echo what has been said earlier about not buying in hast as advice varies considerably. Just ask 10 modellers what is the best equipment to start with and you will get twelve different answers! The last three issues of RCM&E magazine had a 'Radio Round Up' briefly reviewing the different radio control systems available and their list price.

What is often confusing is jargon in any hobby so there is a Glossary of common terms on this site here.

Good luck.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/04/2019 12:10:50

Sorry you lost your dad, Laura. Whereabouts in Derbyshire are you? Our club flies from a former WW2 airfield just to the east of Ashbourne and you'd be welcome to visit. There's a locked gate for access so we'd have to arrange for you coincide with me or another member to let you in.

We have a couple of trainers for you to try.

Geoff