Exponential for beginners?

Thanks Nigel, that is very interesting.

I flew today, had the usual 10% on, with light winds my 3Kg 71" high wing slippery model on low rates (58%) was erratic in the turns. Got to remember to increase the expo to 12-13% in calm conditions.

Some people even expert flyers like it 'raw'.

subscribed.

Edited By ASH. on 30/04/2019 23:52:26

Some car drivers I know still double declutch when changing gear. Technology has moved on now that cars are fitted with synchromesh gear boxes, making double declutching unnecessary. Nothing at all wrong with the practice if that's what you have always done because you NEEDED to do it when you were training your muscle memory etc.

There's no right or wrong way of using the features of your computer based transmitter. Some people argue that using mixes to correct particular flight characteristics (e.g. mixing rudder to elevator to prevent pitching when rudder applied) is cheating. I see it as making life easier and a plane more enjoyable to fly.

Technology changes and there is nothing wrong with using it if you choose - or not using it if you choose not to.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 01/05/2019 10:27:00

Posted by Gary Manuel on 01/05/2019 10:26:21:

Some car drivers I know still double declutch when changing gear. Technology has moved on now that cars are fitted with synchromesh gear boxes, making double declutching unnecessary. Nothing at all wrong with the practice if that's what you have always done because you NEEDED to do it when you were training your muscle memory etc.

There's no right or wrong way of using the features of your computer based transmitter. Some people argue that using mixes to correct particular flight characteristics (e.g. mixing rudder to elevator to prevent pitching when rudder applied) is cheating. I see it as making life easier and a plane more enjoyable to fly.

Technology changes and there is nothing wrong with using it if you choose - or not using it if you choose not to.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 01/05/2019 10:27:00

I enjoy seeing the warts n all when I fly, I enjoy seeing the warts lessen as I practice, I feel a sense of achievement, I did good, I improved, why would I want to lose that ? Cheating ? No, not unless you're competing and claiming a score for what the TX did. Pretty much all wart for me though nowadays. wink

Gary sums it up rather well. Use it or don't, your choice, whatever works for you.

Ash, if you have an arm or control horn offset by any amount (e.g. the control horn is set back from the hinge for some reason, or the servo arm is angled away from the aileron to achieve a differential) then the situation becomes worse, with one direction (the one with the lesser control surface movement) being increasingly twitchy around neutral and other other becoming softer...

",I have driven most means of transport available, from tanks to light aircraft, and there is one thing they have all had in common. Their controls were always linear. "

Errr...

Some new cars have non linear FlyByWire steering.

Airbus airliners have non linear controls, as do most modern military aircraft...

As do some not-so-new cars; 911s of c. 2006 vintage had subtly exponential steering, also speed sensitive if I recall. The effects were like the expo on all my planes, very direct and light at slow speed, gradually but imperceptibly weighting up and becoming less sensitive at speed.

Actually the inverse of my tx....

sublime.

BTC

Posted by Denis Watkins on 01/05/2019 20:48:35:

Don't forget, the OP was relating to a novice

Edited By Denis Watkins on 01/05/2019 21:04:03

Indeed. So the real question is - is it better to let your student learn to fly a model the hard way, or do everything you can to make it easier for him / her?