Hello from Holmfirth

Hi my name is Brian and i am a keen maker of things.

My interest for the last -too long to mention has been based around steam models and model engineering.

I have been interested in and made cars boats and a single aircraft namely a soarcerer which came as a free plan which i was given.

I used to watch pilots flying their gliders on a hill near me but never had a go.

I am thinking of buying the lazer cut kit for the above and then have a bash at flying it.

Are the kits from the lazer cut suppliers ok to work from and how much do you have to add to get it finished?

Brian

Advert

Hi Brian and welcome...

The Soarcerer seems a very straightforward model but it would be best to try to get in contact with some local flyers as model flying isn't quite as easy as it may look. Some basic instruction/intervention might avoid early disappointment!

Depending on the supplier, laser cut packs don't normally include the sheet wood for skinning and strip wood that doesn't need laser cutting. They do take the hard or repetitive work out of cutting out formers and wing ribs for example. You will also need to supply your own covering and such things as hinges and control horns.

Search out some of the build threads on this forum for tips and ideas about building. This link would be a good start!

Your first requirement will be to knock up a flat/true building board...

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/07/2019 18:36:50

A Chris Foss Phase 4 may be a easier introduction.

It's a kit, from a proper kit maker. It will assemble into a flyer, without too much hassle, to a maker of other models.

Get some instruction. Chucking it off a slope, is the easier bit, landing is difficult.

Dont do the £100 a flight route.

Posted by Don Fry on 28/07/2019 18:48:48:

A Chris Foss Phase 4 may be a easier introduction.

It's a kit, from a proper kit maker. It will assemble into a flyer, without too much hassle, to a maker of other models.

Get some instruction. Chucking it off a slope, is the easier bit, landing is difficult.

Dont do the £100 a flight route.

Don, are you confusing the names Phase 6 & Wot 4 when you mean the Middle Phase ?

IMO the Soarcerer is a better first sloper to learn with & given Brian's model making background I suspect he won't have much problem building one from the plan.

Thank you for the replies. All encouraging. Hi Paul, from my house I can see if anyone is flying at Tinkers, the rights of way I only just found out about. If I see anyone I will be popping up to have a look and a chat.

I intend starting the build in the autumn when the nights draw in. In the meantime I am collecting all the bits and pieces.

There is a shop local to me in Honley so I should be ok with getting it all.

The building board is a good idea, I have one with a wooden yacht on it but it's not ready for taking off just yet so I will make another one. Something I can press pins into this time. Ply is a bit hard, does anyone have a surface material recommendation?

An old late friend told me to wax the surface with a candle so that the glue does not stick, or maybe he meant the drawing? I can not remember.

When i have something tangible I will post again.

Cheers

Brian

Nothing wrong with the old Sorcerer. It's a classically designed model with proven flying abilities and it's tough too. Just what you need for flying from the slope. Given your ability you will have no problems with it.

Lots of people use a kitchen worktop topped with a sheet of plasterboard to build on. The plasterboard takes pins nicely and the worktop helps the whole thing to stay true. When the plasterboard gets a bit manky you simply take it off and throw away and replace with a new bit.

The waxcandle trick is an old one. You rub it on the plan to stop bits of model sticking to it. You can also use cling film or a company called SLEC sell plan protector film.

Hi Brian, welcome to the hobby. So much to learn and so many pitfalls to make when starting out, so profit from our mistakes here, pointless to make them over and over again.

The only advice I'll give is that if you build your own model from scratch (unassisted) , glider or powered, and actually get it to what appears to be flying condition, your chances of crashing it either through inexperience on the sticks or an error in building, a mistake in radio installation or final adjustment, is pretty much guaranteed. You mention "having a bash at flying it"..........I hate to say it to someone who's clearly an experienced modeller in other areas, but I fear there'll be more bash than flying!wink

All is not lost,............as was said, get to know some local flyers - even if you complete the model unaided, get an experienced chap to cast their eye over it, there's bound to be something that shows up that'll need attention or fettling, might just be trivial, might save you the loss of a model within the first few seconds. Have them test fly it to sort out any snags when in the air.

Imagine what horrors you could find if I presented a live steam model to you that I'd built, because I've absolutely no previous experience in that areacrying

Best of luck, we're all very happy to help as much as we can.

Edited By Cuban8 on 29/07/2019 12:03:53

Is this the model Brian? Looks pretty ideal if it is. If you can build model boats you should find this pretty easy. Just check the C of G is where it is shown on the plan and follow the recommended control deflections - if there are any. Choose a day with light winds and test glide over long grass, like they always used to say!

I always use cellophane to cover my plans, available from art shops - or florists!

No doubt you have a cutting mat to cut the balsa on.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 29/07/2019 20:21:21

Hi Piers,

yes thats the model. There is a smaller version as well on a web site called outer zone.

I think though I will go with the larger version basing it on a more stable platform. I had looked at the lazer cut kit but I think I prefer to cut my own.

Bruce your probably right plaster board will be messy as I will be doing it in the house. I like the cork idea and I have a load of that as I use it for boiler insulation.

Whats the best budget radio radio gear around hundred to one fifty mark?

Brian

Edited By Brian Dickinson 3 on 29/07/2019 21:14:09

Brian, just about all radio is good, just personal preferences, and importantly, how the transmitter fits your hand.

But I would say, they are all computer driven, menus to navigate, sparse written instructions. If you choose a route whereby someone has an input to teach, that someone might be happier if they were familiar with your transmitter. Also, a good teaching tool is the buddy system, your transmitter is a slave to the instructors transmitter. Much better than handing a single transmitter back and forth. But the transmitters have to be compatible.

So I would wait and see what others are using locally to you.

Edited By Don Fry on 30/07/2019 07:17:06

Brian, if you ask 10 club members that question you will usually get 12 answers. If you ask it on this forum, it usually ends in a war! I don't know the answer but when you find out, let me know!

By the way, are you going to fit ailerons or stick with the standard rudder/elevator version?

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 30/07/2019 07:30:28:

Brian, if you ask 10 club members that question you will usually get 12 answers. If you ask it on this forum, it usually ends in a war! I don't know the answer but when you find out, let me know!

By the way, are you going to fit ailerons or stick with the standard rudder/elevator version?

Radio? See what your new flying buddies are using and decide what suits you best, and which you like the look and feel of. Don't be tempted to under purchase to save a few quid now, but then regret not having some useful extras as you build more complex models later on.

If you have a choice, go for the aileron wing or as it's a simple structure, perhaps build one of each and see how you get on.I always found R/E models as slope soarers to be quite restricted in what you could do with them in a good blow as they seemed quite sluggish so better suited to lighter wind conditions. Horses for courses and depends on the the pilot's expectations.

Building boards? I still use my ancient South Yorks Models building board/jig faced with cork tiles.It's really just a sheet of dense contiboard with a couple of lengths of 2X1s screwed to the underside and a series of holes for the jig brackets. Must be 30 years old now and still flat and true. A building jig makes life so much easier.

Seems an extravagance, (a couple of quid for a big sheetwink)  but the stuff sold as 'plan protector' (get mine from Balsa Cabin) really does work so much better than normal polythene sheet or whatever else I've tried in the past. Don't know what it is, might be my imagination but it does have an extra slippery feel to it. Epoxy, PVA and Cyano doesn't adhere to it - although thin Cyano will wick its way through pin holes and stick to the plan if you're not careful - to be expected though.

Edited By Cuban8 on 30/07/2019 09:48:12

Personally I wouldn't use polythene but nothing sticks to cellophane, here for example.

The model should fly well with just rudder/elevator but if you did decide to fit ailerons you could reduce (or eliminate devil) the amount of dihedral. Most rudder elevator models usually feature quite a large amount of dihedral which does not work so well with an ailerons wing.

Posted by Piers Bowlan on 30/07/2019 10:38:19:

Personally I wouldn't use polythene but nothing sticks to cellophane, here for example.

The model should fly well with just rudder/elevator but if you did decide to fit ailerons you could reduce (or eliminate devil) the amount of dihedral. Most rudder elevator models usually feature quite a large amount of dihedral which does not work so well with an ailerons wing.

Amazing what you can find out **LINK**

Agree, Polythene is hopeless as a plan protector.

This does exactly what it claims and only a couple of quid......**LINK**

As a general rule for a first build it is better to follow the plans. Don't start upgrading or overthinking things.

Hard balsa pushrods are fine and nice and lightweight down the rear of the fuselage. And cheaper than carbon fibre.

As I said previously, the Sorcerer is a proven, classical design.