PSSA Sabre Woodpack List

Everyone,

I have been asked a couple of times to list what sheet and strip material I have used in addition to the CNC kit.

I don't buy strip material as I prefer to make my own from sheet material using a SLEC balsa stripper:

**LINK**

Here is the minimum list:

8 sheets of Med/Hard balsa (my choice) 1/16" x 3" x 36" for wing skins

4 strips 3/16" x 1/4" spruce spars (or hard balsa if fibre-glassing the wings)

4 Strips 1/8" x 5/8" balsa for false LE and TE

6 strips 3/16" x 3/16" balsa fuselage stringers

4 strips 1/8" x 1/4" balsa rear keels

10 sheets of 1/8" x 4" x 36" Med/Soft balsa for tail-planes and fuselage planking

1/2" x 4" x 36" balsa Med/Soft for fin and wing tips

2 pieces 3/8" x 1.1/2" x 36 TE stock

Other bits and pieces for hinge blocks, fairings etc will probably be in your scrap balsa box!

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 04/08/2019 09:16:15

Advert

The "kit" is a set of CNC parts that Martin is offering to go along with his plan. The rest of the wood (sheet and strip) can be sourced by the individual builder to their tastes. Since Martin and his partner in this venture are not a huge manufacturing or wholesaling concern, it would hardly be cost effective their sourcing ALL of the wood to re-sell onto us builders.

This approach is quite common - see companies such a Belair kits - they sell laser cut parts but not full kits.

Hope that settles your mind.

It's a 'short kit'. All the hard work of cutting out ply formers, ribs and other bits is already done. Great for people like me that can't set up their wood working tools.

The extra wood really isn't very much 'extra'. 8 sheets of 16th at £1.27, 10 sheets of 8th at £1.62 and a sheet of half inch at £3.84 is just over £30 total, add the rest of the bits from an extra sheet or two...

The plan is also in there, but the time and effort that has gone into the design and testing of this model, to be able to sell it on to us, is worth lots more than the £70 I've happily paid for mine.

I'm getting two kits soon that will require almost 200 sheets of 'extra' wood. They're still "a kit" to me.

As I said I sincerely didn't mean to offend and it does look a stunning model but ( bet you knew there would be a "but"!) 19+ sheets of balsa is quite a bit extra......

Just my opinion of course..... I shall now put on my best tin helmet and go and sit on the naughty step 😂😂

Paul,

It is generally known as a " short kit". As Al says, it allows the builder to choose strip and sheet materials to their own preference.

I have had a number of "full kits" where I have thrown away the poor quality sheet material! Not to mention the clevises etc.

The plan is available seperately for those that do not wish to purchase the CNC cut parts and to have total control over the material selection.

Edited By Martin Gay on 08/08/2019 19:51:33

Kit, semi-kit or short-kit, call it what you will - the fact is there are 114 CNC machined pieces in the Mass Build Sabre package, saving the modeller many hours in creating those parts and ensuring absolute accuracy and repeatability for those important components of the build in any scale model, fuselage formers, wing ribs etc.

This is a build project, and we know very well that proper builders like to select their own balsa and like to be left some work to do as well. I think this intent has been captured very well, and from the evidence I've seen the CNC short kits are of very high quality.

Martin,

From the GAMA kit build you said that you used 48 inch long blanking, what thickness of material would that be for especially if it will make the build better.

Must thank yourself Martin and Gordon in putting this short kit together as I know from building from plans how long it takes to cut things out. It must have certainly taken both of yourselves time to draw up the plan and design the kit and get it to a standard where it could be made into a laser cut kit and also build the prototypes to make sure everything fits together.

Thanks once again and keep the good work up guys.

All the Best

Phil Beard

Hi Phil,

I used about five sheets of 48" x 4" x 1/8" balsa (medium to medium soft density) for the fuselage planking - it allowed me to use a single plank from nose to tail and avoided any joints along the way.

This would be in lieu of eight or nine sheets of the 36" long 1/8" balsa.

Paul d,

We are not taking any offense at your opinion. To be honest there was a time when I was aghast at the thought of paying for a short kit when I could do that work myself! These days I seem to have less spare time available and will opt for a short kit, in general, if the price is right!

• 1 month later...

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the wood list, it's saved me a lot of time.

Can I ask why there is a difference in 2 sizes below?

or have I missed something? I would have thought they should be both 5/8 or 3/8?

4 Strips 1/8" x 5/8" balsa for false LE and TE

2 pieces 3/8" x 1.1/2" x 36 TE stock

Cheers

Ray

False LE and TE are cut from 1/8" sheet at 5/8" wide. (5/8" is the widest needed for the LE root). Four strips all the same size is easier to cut than two different sizes of tapered material.

The actual trailing edge (ailerons/flaps) are from pre shaped TE stock 3/8 thick and 1.1/2" wide.

Hope that makes a bit more sense than the abbreviated version.

Martin.

Martin/Gordon,

Thanks for the delivery of my plan pack. Can I please confirm the thickness of the tailplane? The plan says two laminations of 3.18mm sheet but the typical cross section seems to show it as being 12mm thick (2x6mm). Two laminations of 6mm would seem better for containing the joining tubes.

Your recommendations, please?

Steve

Hi Martin thanks for checking that for me, I'm going to look again now but I read your Gamma build blog and you said that it was neater to use 48" balsa fuselage planking. I think you used 36" originally but you had to join the planking.

I think for me it would be much easier to use the longer sheets for planking but your wood list suggests 36".

I may have misunderstood.

On your wood list you mentioned "10 sheets of 1/8" x 4" x 36" Med/Soft balsa for tail-planes and fuselage planking",

I added 10 x 48" sheets, so this could be why I'm getting to £60.

Would you say 8 sheets of the 48" 1/8th would be enough?

***********Edit*******

I've just read all the posts in this thread and you have already addressed this,

So I think probably 7 sheets of the 48" 1/8 should do?

Andy

Thanks

Andy

Edited By Andrew Edmead on 17/09/2019 10:01:29

Edited By Andrew Edmead on 17/09/2019 10:02:11

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...