Jet Provost 1.5metre Andy Blackburn PSS Plan

Peter Garsden

A week at the Caravan and some great flying up the Orme on Friday delayed progress, but now back in the seat. All covering now done so just the gear to install in the fuselage, and detailing ie flashes on the wings, panel line, assembly etc.

Like Phil, I don't like snakes and have gone for a good old fashioned piece of 1/4 square wrapped with black thread and balsa cement/cyano. Can't beat it. I know Phil will like this.

20191104_104327.jpg

I'm using the Pico Electronic Switch again. Never fails. With the now long nose, I will have to make a battery extension lead.

20191104_104417.jpg

Before anyone says anything, the servo attachment is a piece of studding to give it grip, and the screw will get a good dose of locktite. Makes adjustment so much easier. Aerial at 3pm courtesy of left over snake outers and the receiver on a piece of velcro.

Very nice Pete! thumbs up

Quick update on the canopy plug - having sanded the top sides of my fuselage to final shape I've built up a canopy from balsa and blue foam which sits into the cockpit cavity, made underside to then accept a 2-3mm skim of P38. This is now sanded and bar final touch up/polish sanding I think we are ready to add some framework.

jp canopy plug 1.jpg

Once that's done I need to remove it from the airframe and fix the plug to a base which will lend itself to vac forming.

I'm hopeful I can get the finshed plug to Steve at Vortex Vacforms next week. Thats the plan.

Thanks for the pioneering build blog Pete. Because you discovered most of the glitches I was able to knock out my 150% fuselage in record time without having to figure out the discrepancies.

That canopy is looking very smooth Phil. I know from making the plugs and pulling the canopies for the A-10 and A-4 it takes a lot of time to get the perfect shape and finish.yes

I have put on all the stickers and drawn in the panel lines. I thought I would post this because I have found the correct pen for drawing panel lines on Solarfilm or Oracover (used both on this one).

When I made the smaller JP, I used a fine tipped Sharpie but it was too thick. I then ordered a 0.5mm felt tipped black permanent marker. That, unfortunately, doesn't dry quickly enough and smudges. I have trusted tried out a Staedtler thin permanent marker which is perfect, so I thought I would share the good news with you. I am sure you will tell all your family that your anxieties are over and the secret to fulfilment has been found.

15731494429641285319432.jpg

The other essential for drawing lines round fuselages is a flexible ruler.

So I have also made a throttle housing for the cockpit when the pilots arrive and then the canopy then it is all down to balance and maiden.

1573149463084101286120.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well the pilots have arrived from Real Model Pilots. The detail is really good and they are very light. Problem is that they don't fit into the cockpit. To be fair, I need to cut away some more of the former, but I think I will have to shave off some elbow where it isn't seen. I am sure they are the correct scale, I have just not allowed enough depth with the floor on top of the battery box. It would need a complete redesign with the battery box on the floor I think.

Actually, I sneaked into the shed and found them tucking into salted caramel ice cream and chips. They have just ballooned. I told them they are on weight watchers but they just laughed and told me that they haven't had any exercise since someone cut their legs off - as if?

15742812251881802092232.jpg

I hope you're able to trim down those pilots Pete!

The canopy plug is finally finished... Having shaped it on the model, I've since been adding framework and then building up a base from which it can be vac-formed. I've then been chasing my tail for what seems like an age on surface finish - my P38 mixing always seems to produce air bubbles which appear in the surface as you final sand! Anyway all done - It's on its way to Steve Davis at Vortex Vacforms tomorrow morning so knowing Steve we should have the first pulls in no-time!

finished plug 1 forum.jpg

finished plug 2 forum.jpg

Hi Al - that sounds like a useful media! - although I don't have a decent sized spray gun - and I have to ask - if its a P38 'simulant' what do you use to clean the line and gun after use as P38 in the line would be horrendous!?? Sounds like a better way of smoothly building up the layers as I've done here bit by bit by hand.

Hi Phil, you could use Holts Cataloy 'Knifing Putty' available from Halfords. It's ready mixed so you won't introduce air whilst mixing a two pack type filler. It's that fine it fills surface scratches and gives a extra smooth finish especially prior to painting or for your application Phil. Great canopy mould by the way.

Holts Cataloy

Edited By Mark Kettle 1 on 25/11/2019 08:45:25

Posted by Phil Cooke on 24/11/2019 21:43:20:

Hi Al - that sounds like a useful media! - although I don't have a decent sized spray gun - and I have to ask - if its a P38 'simulant' what do you use to clean the line and gun after use as P38 in the line would be horrendous!?? Sounds like a better way of smoothly building up the layers as I've done here bit by bit by hand.

It's called U-POL reface - couldn't remember the name yesterday.

You thin it with Cellulose Thinners to get it through the spray gun which helps to slow the curing time - as you know P38 doesn't hang around when it starts to go off.

Once the Reface has been sprayed, the thinners evaporates and the filler starts to cure on the workpiece but stays liquid in the gun.

Basically, once you've put a coat of filler on, then you get straight on with cleaning the gun. It probably leaves you around 10 minutes to clean up so it is usable without too much panic!

Mark, the advantage to Reface over something like Knifing putty is that it is self-levelling so it takes less time to get to a good finish.

I have used it on plugs before and it is good.

Great work Phil, and v interesting filler discussion. I find flour and water washes away and is not gluten free, better for sticking paper.

Anyway George and Arthur were looking a bit grey, so I brightened up their life with a bit of colour. George seems to have a bad stigmatism, and Arthur appears 'armless enough but only because I had to sand him down to get him into the cockpit. I also had to cut down the triangular sticking out to about 3/16" to flow into the fuselage. Much more former had to go courtesy of a Dremmel and tiny Tamiya Saw.

157469304025784481694.jpg

Gangrene set in below the knee

1574693197042-1668463910.jpg

All tucked up awaiting canopy