Jet Provost 1.5metre Andy Blackburn PSS Plan

Peter Garsden

Looking good, just to harp back to the UPOL P88. I thin it and spray it with a touch up full size gun, with the BIG compressor, and once thinned its nice stuff. Just like thick cellulose primer filler, which funnily enough is exactly what it is With models we tend to sand much of it off, and indeed that is what I do. Its not a polyester base its cellulose. And no heavier than conventional primer just thicker!

408.jpg

Cheers

Danny

You guys are way ahead of me on the JP 1.5 build.

The wings are done and waiting to be hinged.

Started the fuselage build a few days ago. To make the assembly a little easier, formers F3,4 &5 can be glued to one fuselage side while it’s flat on the board. The fuz sides within this area are parallel when viewed from above. This means you can check each former is perfectly upright and longitudinally square when gluing. Like Pete, I had fun and games clamping the nose section whilst gluing and ensuring squareness. Not easy, but the small steam cleaner I borrowed from ‘er indoors’ helped persuade the sides into position.
The only mod to the fuz so far has been the enlargement of the battery box to take a 3A LiPo. This is to power the airborne Blackpool illuminations - nav lights (wingtips, nose and rear fuz).
Next step is the addition of balsa block - much of which I predict will end up as shavings!

Progress on JP 1.5. Half a balsawood plantation now rests in the back garden. I think I used every sanding tool in the box. By far the best being Permagrit’s flat file with coarse grit.
Decided to go for a concealed rudder linkage using square section carbon tube. Somehow Have managed to plank the bottom rear fuz without installing the snake supports first - dang!
tomorrow will order canopy from Vortex (thanks Phil) and install Andy’s printed pilots.

Looking good Jez - great progress! - Yes there's a lot of balsa to remove with the block on the fuselage and especially the nose - and we haven't even tackled the curvaceous air intakes yet!

First vac form (taken from my 'pre-prod' plug) has been trimmed to size and fits really well - Steve has since made a production resin plug and the production vac-forms are now available to purchase from Vortex.

jp canopy 1.jpg

jp canopy 2.jpg

jp canopy 3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Canopy arrived, paired it down with nail scissors, good fit, apart from my seats which are too high, so I adjusted the height. It is higher than scale but not so you would notice. Might affect wind resistance.

Glued in the pilots, and the central control column and the joy sticks, then stuck the canopy on with canopy glue. I had to tape it down and pin it as it wasn't a perfect fit, but that is normal.

1577378907120636746138.jpg

1577378948249-90842102.jpg

Have done the balance - needed about 2.6 oz to the nose which I taped to the front of the battery.

I weighed it at 5lb 2oz, or 82,5oz so with 3.8 square feet we have a wing loading of 21.07 oz per square foot.

All being well I am planning to maiden up the Orme on 2nd January. Will need a launcher and Andy M may be there. If not I can ask a goat or a sheep?