Gee Bee Models Dreamer Bipe

Now that Oodalally is about finished the next one on my board is this, a started project bought at a swapmeet last Spring.

There is a good build thread at forum.flitetest.com should anyone be interested and the plans are on Outerzone.

000_0475.jpg

c2.jpg

img_6162.jpg

.......I will definitely need a lot more stick time before I dare to fly it, so there's no hurry with the build !

Advert

You'd be surprised. Some biplanes can be total pussy cats in the air. My 2nd (or 3rd) model was a Flair SE5a with an OS52 fs and it flew like a trainer.

The Dreamer looks very nice. Biplanes can end up as hangar queen because they're such a faff to assemble/dissemble at the filed. Often the main awkward bit is the interplane struts so while it's easily accessible make sure the fixings into the wings are sturdy and easy to use.

Geoff

Thanks for the advice Geoff, points duly noted..

The kit/plan says wire cabane struts and on a site somewhere someone has made them from 1/8 ally and dispensed with the interplane struts

........I'm still giving it a serious dose of looking at and may even build it with a strong cabane box and have bolt on wings

Rgds DC

Trial fit of wings/tailplane and my initial idea for top wing support, cut from 1/8 ply rather than bent/soldered wire.

I think cross grained balsa sheet stuck onto the uprights will stiffen them up, and then 1/4 or 5/16 balsa supports under the wing which will also locate the dowels for the rubber bands, and maybe even small front and rear ply cross pieces at the top of the uprights...what do you think ?

img_6187.jpg

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 13/08/2019 15:55:30

Posted by Dave Cunnington on 05/08/2019 19:46:51:

Now that Oodalally is about finished the next one on my board is this, a started project bought at a swapmeet last Spring.

There is a good build thread at forum.flitetest.com should anyone be interested and the plans are on Outerzone.

000_0475.jpg

c2.jpg

img_6162.jpg

.......I will definitely need a lot more stick time before I dare to fly it, so there's no hurry with the build !

Looks just like the Aero Master Bipe from the 70's ? Flew well no vices . That came with a choice of wing section If memory serves .

Looks just like the Aero Master Bipe from the 70's ? Flew well no vices . That came with a choice of wing section If memory serves .........……..

The Aeromaster came with a choice of wingspans, 48" or 52", on either both wings, or single pair of wings,and a choice of wing planform, either straight winged, or swept back wings. Don't recall a choice of wing section, though. I have a kit for an Aeromaster here,and can't find any mention of wing section change,although mine is one of the later kits with the radial cowl...…………….Mal

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers Denis, you may well be right there, especially as I'm still a learner airframe driver.

This was a "started" kit with a lot missing, hence my home made cabane, and the main u/c is from "stock" with a home made sort of imitation air scoop box thingy to tidy it up.

The ground angle looks about right, and I plan to attach balsa fairings to the legs. I bought a pair of used spats at Barkston, guessed the size wrong and they're too small...…..spats are fine to look at but maybe not too practical anyway !

Have to wait for flight to check the efficacy of it all.

Rgds DC

Edited By Dave Cunnington on 31/08/2019 10:28:02

Posted by mal brewer on 21/08/2019 13:16:06:

Looks just like the Aero Master Bipe from the 70's ? Flew well no vices . That came with a choice of wing section If memory serves .........……..

The Aeromaster came with a choice of wingspans, 48" or 52", on either both wings, or single pair of wings,and a choice of wing planform, either straight winged, or swept back wings. Don't recall a choice of wing section, though. I have a kit for an Aeromaster here,and can't find any mention of wing section change,although mine is one of the later kits with the radial cowl...…………….Mal

Ah yes the Aeromaster, IIRC it was designed in the '60s - fantastic model, I have built six of them, am presently flying one I built about ten years ago and have a kit tucked away just in case. I built the first one from a plan I borrowed from Ken Binks. My current one is a "Super Aeromaster" that was kitted by Great planes but I built this one from the plan. Rather than using rubber bands the wings and u/c are all bolted on. I leave it fully assembled and it fits nicely in my Peugeot 3008.

Hi.

yes you're quite correct about the 'Aeromaster', it was designed by Lou Andrews. Ken Binks,one of the top fliers of his day,did a kit review of the model in the RCME , and raved about it, I seem to recall it was in the early '70's. The 'Skymaster' biplane, as flown by the Skyleader' display team was a virtual copy of the 'Aeromaster'. the team included Ken Binks, Chris Foss, and two other well known modellers,forgotten their names ( old age creeping on! ). The kit I have is the Great Lakes version,but I have a complete original model here,if anybody is interested in it...…………….Mal

• 7 months later...