Best Dremel Clone

Neil67

Looking to replace a VonHaus rotary tool, purchased from Amazon but died after six months after very little use. It replaced an Aldi cordless which suffered the same fate, again after little use, and proved a nightmare to return and obtain a refund under guarantee. Any suggestions?

Advert

Maybe Dremel are effectively less expensive than at first sight?

My first one lasted about 8 years of fairly heavy work with only brush replacement before the motor windings failed. I bought a base model replacement for thirty odd quid from B&Q which failed earlier this year - the switch wore out mechanically but fortunately I'd squirrelled away the old one "just in case" and was able to repair it with the older switch.

I'm not sure if you're only interested in cordless ones though - I've never had great results with such things as cordless screwdrivers so have foregone the slight advantages of not dragging the cord around for the lower current per watt and consistent availability from a mains version.

I have a Proxxon bought on a deal (I'd never pay full prices). Its electronic speed controller packed in in 3 weeks light use, so I wired it straight through. Screams, but does the job. I will rant out 1/16th" brass when I do brass masters for white metal kits and whip round three mm thick windows on slot car bodies, so the bearings must be good. Powered off the Proxxon transformer that it came with. I've had it maybe 20 years now. I also got excellent use from Minicraft/Maxicraft tools, many of which I still have (circular saw, grinder, orbital sander, sanding disc). I have never had a Dremel and won't pay that for one, but I did once buy a Dremel cutter and it lasted very well indeed and people do seem to like them. I've just managed to be a professional modelmaker for decades without one!

Martin

Edited By Foxfan on 06/08/2019 17:20:49

I have found my Dremel's accuracy to be quite poor.

It's good for many things but accurate drilling isn't one of them. It appears to be play in the bearings which causes the point of the drill to wander when trying to start a hole; even on centre popped marks or enlarging existing holes.

I've looked online and other users have commented about this.

I've got two Dremel 395 mains powered tools, both now need a strip down for maintenance of the front bearings. After only 20 and 25 years of use. Don't make them like they used to.

Who remembers the 12v brushed motor drills that we used to get palmed off with as 'modellers tools'? Anything currently available will be a 100 times better than one of those!

Bought a battery Dremel while I was in the US in 1998 for $50. The Nicad still holds full capacity and it gets lots of use, permanently fitted with a 1/16th drill. Left discharged for ages and the pack left on the 3hr charger for three weeks many times.

No use for many jobs since it is quite slow but great for 2mm self tapper holes, drilling out horns ready to be tapped m2 etc.

Got a Skil from B&Q many years ago, 35,000 rpm. The brushes wore out so it got chucked under the bench. Amazingly you can still get the spares so it has a new lease of life.

Also have an Aldi battery one which has been very good so far.

One I have and like is a Minicraft. Power is via a transformer with a knob which controls the speed. Best thing about it is that it has a keyed chuck which will hold anything up to a quarter of an inch diameter. Had it for many years as well as some from Aldi, Lidl and Netto. My Dremel managed to lose some segments from the commutator - twice. First time I managed to get a replacement armature but didn't bother the second time as I can manage with the others I have.

Malcolm