Old 35mHz Futaba

Mel Jones

Advert

I gave away my almost new and expensive 35mHz Rx`s for use by some youngsters because 2.4 came about just after I bought them, but have kept the JR 3810 tranny since I can use a 2.4 module in it.

Beware though, the lithium back up battery has a limited life and is very difficult, if not impossible, to replace. I tried this on a 388. When it dies you lose all memories and the Tx is effectively dead.

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 20/10/2019 20:41:34:
Beware though, the lithium back up battery has a limited life and is very difficult, if not impossible, to replace. I tried this on a 388. When it dies you lose all memories and the Tx is effectively dead.

They're not that difficult to replace. I've just done a 347 for a lad and fitted a 2.4GHz module in it - working fine now.

Sourcing batteries with the solder tags welded on is tricky, but I just soldered some short solid wire leads straight to a standard battery.

OK, it lost all its memories, and I did a recalibration of the sticks as a precaution, but its really not that difficult. It just needs a bit of care and patience. Plenty of guides out there on t'internet!

wink

--

Pete

Martin: the 347 is pretty much the same. The trick is to use masking tape or similar, to hold the buttons in place whilst dismantling and replacing.

The PCB is removable, with care - certainly on the 347. (I believe the 388 is similar.)

You can then unsolder the old battery and replace it. If you parallel them up, it will simply discharge the new battery, as you discovered.

Depending on how long the battery has been flat, you may have to do a "system reset". Again, instructions are out there: **LINK**

Not something I want to be doing every 5 minutes, but perfectly do-able. And there's always Mike Ridley! wink

--

Pete

I confess this is an area I am totally ignorant in. How long do these internal batteries last? I've got a Futaba FF8 that's over 25 years old and no problems yet. A FF9 that's' just under 20 years old and two FF9 super that are almost as old, all with no problems. They've always had a main battery installed and kept charged. You say the internal batteries are 'lithium' (rechargeable type?), do they get charged by the main battery(possibly when the Tx is switched on) and the reason people have had to replace them is because the Tx has been left for some time without the main battery installed/Tx switched on?

Thanks Peter. I think that the 347 must be quite different, just look at that reset procedure.

I used to do intricate pcb repairs for a living but on examining the 388 decided that removing all those interboard wire links was not on. Anyway, I had sold it to a mate who probably never switched it on since he just likes having

old radios. I too used tape on the buttons but those springs were a devil.