Fairey Gannet

Advert

Posted by John Bisset on 25/10/2019 15:06:51:
Posted by Andrew Calcutt on 25/10/2019 09:00:24:

I think the gannet had two engines and counter rotating props,would make a good model,don't forget the folding wings!

Now THAT would be a model to behold, if someone could replicate the wing power fold ! And of course the contra-prop assembly.

As a small boy I recall seeing the Gannet AEW3 demonstrate its single engine capability at a Lossie Air Day, immediately followed by its demonstration of an (excellently controlled) belly landing on the short runway when the second engine didn't wind up quickly enough as the pilot did a 180 turn in front of us. I watched through my camera viewfinder thinking 'surely that's not right' as the starboard wingtip cut a furrow in the grass before the belly landing. No-one hurt, some impressively fast exits by the crew as the wreckage slid off the runway, debris and radar bits all down the runway and I never even pressed the shutter!

The 2 engines set up has already been done, almost 60 years ago - see the1960 Aeromodeller Annual.

Page 144 shows a photo of Bruce Randle's Control Line model, using an OS15 and an OS35 - contra-rotating! Only a small photo, but it goes to show there's nothing new. It does look a bit tight in there.
It apparently flew at the Knokke C/L contest.

The 2 engines set up has already been done, almost 60 years ago - see the1960 Aeromodeller Annual.

Page 144 shows a photo of Bruce Randle's Control Line model, using an OS15 and an OS35 - contra-rotating! Only a small photo, but it goes to show there's nothing new. It does look a bit tight in there.
It apparently flew at the Knokke C/L contest.

I remember all this very well. The plan for the model is on Outerzone, here:
**LINK**

Edited By brokenenglish on 26/10/2019 12:19:46

It does look a trifle slimmed Tom, though I suspect that was a model of an early prototype - with no extra tail fins, no rear observer's bulge or hatches, no radome of either sort, no tanks, none of the extra bulges, intakes and excrescences that serviceability and use required.

Strange to see a sleek Gannet.

I remember that kit; mine was badly built but much played with. Like Geoff's, mine didn't fly well.

The 'Doolittle' plan by Mike Lovell is the one from Flying Scale Models June 2008 - would you believe that it just slightly stuck out of a pile of hundreds of RC mags when I started to look for it - so it was the first mag I opened today! If Martin or Andy need a copy of the construction article I could be persuaded to scan it ........

Posted by J D 8 on 27/10/2019 10:10:00:

The KK kit is of an AS [ anti submarine] mk1 which had none of the protuberance's of the AEW version.

The AS one went out of service quit early as helicopters took over the roll.

Edited By J D 8 on 27/10/2019 10:14:49

True, though the main anti-submarine version in service had a rear canopy situated on top of the fuselage, for the observers in the rear bay which was behind the wing. That's why i reckoned when I built mine that it was a prototype.  It;'s a long time ago and I'm not sure I have a picture of an early Mk1 to see when the rear canopy appeared !

Edited By John Bisset on 29/10/2019 12:51:08

Posted by kc on 29/10/2019 11:27:03:

The 'Doolittle' plan by Mike Lovell is the one from Flying Scale Models June 2008 - would you believe that it just slightly stuck out of a pile of hundreds of RC mags when I started to look for it - so it was the first mag I opened today! If Martin or Andy need a copy of the construction article I could be persuaded to scan it ........

That would be very welcome if you could, please?

• 11 months later...

I was chatting to a family friend, Joan, who like my mother, worked at RAE Farnborough in the early 1950s. She was very keen on aircraft, and took any opportunity to get flights in aircraft being tested. She described going in a twin engined, three seat aeroplane with contra-rotating props, so I'm pretty sure it was a Gannet (she couldn't remember the name).
As part of the flight test the pilot shut down one of the engines, to practice the in-flight re-starting procedure. He then had a great deal of difficulty re-starting it. After about half an hour he managed to get it going and they returned to Farnborough and landed.
Having parked up the aircraft, the pilot and his observer got out and went off for lunch. At this point Joan, seated in the rearmost cockpit, also tried to get out but found her canopy wouldn't open. Eventually the ground crew turned up, and even they struggled to get to get the canopy open, so it was another thirty minutes before they finally freed her.