Fuel Agitation

Alan Gordon 5

Hi Guys, I have aquired a Seagull Extra 300 with a Super Tigre 91 up front, No problems apart from the tank as supplied is a tight fit in the formers, the trouble is vibration in tank which in turn is causing bubbles in the fuel delivery to engine which in turn is causing eratic running, Any ideas on how to insulate tank to minimise this adgitation ?

If it’s tight in the formers , as you say, there are solutions

1. a smaller tank
  2. cut away the formers
  3. Different design of tank. I always use Dubro 
  4. turn the tank through 90*...you might get some useful space

Get one of these and give it a try.

Edited By cymaz on 06/11/2019 17:21:28

Posted by Martin Harris on 06/11/2019 18:38:10:

i've never tried it but I've seen recommendations to add a couple of drops of a product called "Armor All" (sorry about the spelling!) to a tankfull of fuel to eliminate vibration induced frothing.

Perhaps someone who's tried it might comment?

Yes its a car interior dessing contains silicon . A squit of silcon based furniture polish does the same. It helps treat the result of vibration but its far better to treat the cause of the vibration. A fuel tank should be a good fit to stop it moving but some foam insulation is ideal . A smaller tank and some foam would help after you have balanced the prop and spinner.

Interesting regarding the polish, guys, I realise that enclosing the tank in foam would help but this being an ARTF the tank is good fit and I would have to cut away the former holding the tank to fit foam then I would be concerend with regards to loosing structural strenght. I take on board also the need to balance thr prop / spinner.

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned about cutting the former - you can always reinforce it with some ply. Even if it is one of those laser cut "lots of holes" type formers, it could be doubled up to retain strength.

What about a different shape tank? A longer thinner one?

Most felt clunks are used with petrol engines and turbines. The YS variant was smaller - unfortunately YS bits are now difficult to source within the UK.

Alan, you'll have to see what will fit through the opening of your fuel tank. Sintered clunks will also eliminate the effects of bubbles. Search online and you should find what you are looking for.