Average current draw

John Wagg

I have a battery charger/discharger.

Does anyone have an idea of what would be be be an average current draw for a receiver battery. I have a couple of batteries that I want to test but can only set a constant current draw.

At the moment I have set 200 mA but is this enough to give a representative of battery life time ?

Advert

John

Just remember that whilst the average current draw may be measured in ma the servo peak current can be more than 10 times as much.

Small batteries suffer voltage drop more than big ones. Receivers tend to be more voltage sensitive than servos and the loss of a receiver for just a second (not all recover than fast!) at the wrong time can be serious.

Posted by Simon Chaddock on 09/11/2019 18:54:49:

John

Just remember that whilst the average current draw may be measured in ma the servo peak current can be more than 10 times as much.

Small batteries suffer voltage drop more than big ones. Receivers tend to be more voltage sensitive than servos and the loss of a receiver for just a second (not all recover than fast!) at the wrong time can be serious.

At situation best resolved by a low ESR pack, not by adding another equally poor cell in series
Cheers
Phil
www.4cells-are-enough.com

Posted by John Wagg on 09/11/2019 19:07:15:

Noted Simon, Thanks.

The Ni-Cad is from about 1994 and the Ni-mH is fairly new but got cooked on a fast charge, Might use the Ni-mH but not the Ni-cad.

Currently (pun intended blush) the Ni-cad does over 2 hours but not done a full test on the Ni-mH yet.

Cheers

John, I would seriously have a look at Life packs. There are lots of good videos etc. available. I ditched all my NIMH packs years ago, and have never looked back. There is a load of rubbish talked about them, but as an average club level flyer, I would not use anything else!.

Simon, I'm not sure about Life packs as to being able to trickle charge or fast charge properly.

With the NimH's I can trickle charge with some impunity and get reasonable safety margins for flying.

Always open to new ideas and education though.

Just returning to RC and I am more used to ni-cads as being the staple source back in the 70s,80s & 90s.

Posted by Steve J on 09/11/2019 20:45:27:
Posted by John Wagg on 09/11/2019 20:42:30:
Posted by Steve J on 09/11/2019 20:38:01:

Posted by Phil Green on 09/11/2019 19:09:00:

+1

Sorry but no "link" and done a search as well.

www.4cells-are-enough.com is a joke.

You're not kidding. Low on stock and outrageous prices.

Posted by Steve J on 09/11/2019 20:45:27:
Posted by John Wagg on 09/11/2019 20:42:30:
Posted by Steve J on 09/11/2019 20:38:01:

Posted by Phil Green on 09/11/2019 19:09:00:

+1

Sorry but no "link" and done a search as well.

www.4cells-are-enough.com is a joke.

About the number I have left working LoL.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2863122-A123-LiFe-performance-as-Receiver-Battery-Packs

Just reading through the above post and not convinced yet. Seems a bit over-complicated just for a couple of hours flying. My usual max' flying time would be a couple of hours slope soaring or I.C. power flying at the field.

Posted by John Wagg on 09/11/2019 19:07:15:

Noted Simon, Thanks.

The Ni-Cad is from about 1994 and the Ni-mH is fairly new but got cooked on a fast charge, Might use the Ni-mH but not the Ni-cad.

Currently (pun intended blush) the Ni-cad does over 2 hours but not done a full test on the Ni-mH yet.

Cheers

1994 NiCd giving in excess of 4/5 of its rated capacity? Bring back (good quality) NiCds...

I'd be happier using that battery (after a black wire corrosion check) than a new budget NiMH although I favour LiFe where my servos allow them.