How to remove glue from ARTF before recovering....

Fatscoleymo

As the title suggests. I have almost completed stripping back a HK Giant Stik that was covered in that self adhesive very brittle covering. Looked good but punctured extremely easily and had become 50% patches. I will recover in HK film which I am assured is good stuff.....but the adhesive residue left on all surfaces is very sticky. Can anybody offer any pointers as to what will best remove it?

Advert

• 2 weeks later...

Acetone is always my last resort - and my general experience is if that won’t remove it than nothing will.

I always test in increasing harshness along the lines of

Kitchen surface or window cleaner

Methylated Spirits

Isopropyl Alcohol

White Spirit

Cellulose Thinners (Acetone)

I leave the cellulose to the end because it is really harsh stuff. Atomises in the air quickly and stinks, harsh on the skin and can melt some materials. Always test on a small patch first before using cellulose.

Cheers,

Nigel

One caviat: Agressive solvents can attack the glue joints. The glue is heat sensitive so a warm knife scrapes it off well. Be careful around any PVA joints with heat! Another trick is to iron the area with a tissue interposed to absorb the lumpy bits of glue.

I would then iron on some scraps of film to see the effect. Because the heat sensitive glue flattens under your film iron it may well look fine.

Posted by Nigel Heather on 23/11/2019 07:38:11:

Acetone is always my last resort - and my general experience is if that won’t remove it than nothing will.

I always test in increasing harshness along the lines of

Kitchen surface or window cleaner

Methylated Spirits

Isopropyl Alcohol

White Spirit

Cellulose Thinners (Acetone)

I leave the cellulose to the end because it is really harsh stuff. Atomises in the air quickly and stinks, harsh on the skin and can melt some materials. Always test on a small patch first before using cellulose.

Cheers,

Nigel

Is all so-called cellulose thinners acetone? I have always been somewhat confused (I know but I try!) with the various different paints and the variety of thinners and usually try for those that are water based partly because of the ease of brush cleaning. I've used acetone for thinning epoxy in the past but I was unaware that it and cellulose thinners were the same.

Geoff

Acetone and cellulose thinners are totally different solvents, although they do have some similar properties.

Either way you MUST ALWAYS work in a very well ventilated area when using these solvents and try to avoid skin contact with them as much as possible. Safety glasses are also a good idea in case of splashes. Finding solvent proof gloves might be a bit difficult as most disposable gloves melt in seconds !

Got it all done using Isopropanol - Isopropyl Alcohol. Mind-numbingly tedious.

What worked for me was using cotton sheet offcuts (donated willingly by swimbo) - apply solvent to one cloth and rub a small area, then use another clean cloth to remove residue. Repeat at least twice for each area then move on. Change both cloths frequently as they both pick up glue and redistribute it...…. Then go back over everything, check and do 50% again....

Bert - It's no good leaving the residue on as it is too tacky to apply film over - the film would stick to areas in 'the middle' before it had been shrunk.

Presently finishing off the addition of flaps, then will be ready to recover.

Fats