Spektrum DX6i Throttle issues

Carlos Contreras

Advert

One other possible problem with a 2nd hand set might be that it's set to Mode 1 rather than Mode 2 even thought he rachet seems correct for Mode 2. Swapping mode 1 to 2 also has to be done in the programming menu. So just wiggling the right stick and trim might give a clue ....

Hi guys thanks for the replies... after reading/watching a few videos I decide to clean the potentiometer.. so open the transmitter, the potentiometer (3 metal flaps holders) clean the inside with Isopropanol (looks clean anyway)... put all back and voila !!! its going to 0% and no problem... just tested the heli and all ok in that part.

Now... second question... fortunately I test the heli without rotors (safety first). All ok.. back to 0% throttle stop... but I turn the transmitter OFF and the motor started like in full swing !!!... is that "normal"? should I disconnect the heli power first? (sorry if sound a basic question... but my RC car don't do that... Traxxas) Thanks !!!

Carlos. wrt to 2nd question. It sounds like your fail-safe is set up with the throttle at 100% rather than 0%.

Have a read up on setting the fail-safe.

edit - If using spektrum receivers, it probably just means re-binding with throttle down. Let me guess that you have reversed your throttle servo in your transmitter since you initially bound the model.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 25/01/2020 12:18:27

Posted by Colin Carpenter on 25/01/2020 12:23:51:

Always disconnect Rx/model before turning off tx ! Otherwise ☠️☠️😂😂Colin

I disagree. In fact, it's a mandatory safety test at our field - to test that the fail-safe is set right.

Obviously hold onto your model whilst doing it - just in case fail-safe is wrong way round!

Posted by Gary Manuel on 25/01/2020 12:34:50:

I disagree. In fact, it's a mandatory safety test at our field - to test that the fail-safe is set right.

Obviously hold onto your model whilst doing it - just in case fail-safe is wrong way round!

Yeah, but the OP appears to be flying a helicopter! Your club's "safety test" is a recipe for disaster in that scenario!!!

--

Pete

Good point Peter. I don't fly helicopters so I'm not sure how faisafe should be set.

I'm pretty sure that it should not be set to throttle up with the copter sat on the ground though. Whatever the intended failsafe is, it should always be tested and not just assumed that it will behave as expected.

Oh and to clarify my previous post. I meant that I disagreed with the "Otherwise ☠️☠️😂😂" part, not the order that the Tx and Rx should normally be switched on and off. Apologies if what I said was misleading. I do maintain that switching the Tx off (or losing the signal!) with the Rx switched on should result in a safe situation and must be specifically set up and tested. That's what I was getting at.

Edited By Gary Manuel on 25/01/2020 13:48:53

Yup Gary... thanks again... it was that... now the fail-safe is set to 0%.... I'm still wondering what would be the safest option for it... ok 100% its a no no... basically its a recipe for disaster.... and a 0% it will depend of how high it is... and my guts says about enough throttle to make it land... BUT... incontrolable with the rotor spinning?... is not safe for anyone... I will prefer a crash with to rotor OFF... what do you think?

My experience with helicopters is to set zero. When they go they go so less rpm at the head the better ! JMO ! I've only ever seen one fly away back in the 80's ! A Bell 47 MASH flew from our field in Bath to an outskirt village about 3 miles away ! Pre failsafe of course ! I was in the local model shop when a chap came in and asked what a MASH ,Heli was worth ! Owner got it back in a repairable condition ! Colin

Nope our club doesn't have a mandatory test for helis, you stick to drones n planes. face 1

Posted by john stones 1 on 26/01/2020 18:50:43:

Nope our club doesn't have a mandatory test for helis, you stick to drones n planes. face 1

Interesting. I'm a member of the same club as you and I thought the safety test applied to all types of models.

Please explain why it doesn't apply to helicopters.

Carlos, As the throttle potentiometer responded to switch cleaner my suggestion would be to dismantle your transmitter again and put a few drops only of 'genuine' 3 in 1 oil into the potentiometer. That will help stop the silvered elements within the potentiometer oxidizing again. Long term a replacement potentiometer/gimbal is the safest option as a helicopter with the blades spinning uncontrollably is not fun!!

Definately set the throttle cut to 0 as even a low throttle setting will cause lots of destruction if mother earth intervenes in your flight plans.

Barry