Spektrum SAFE or Low rates

Some wooly thinking here on my part.

So if my model is on SAFE mode and upside down I think that SAFE would try to correct it to level flight but if I also have low rates on would SAFE obey low rate control or opperate at higher rates to get the model level as soon as possible.

I dont have a Model set up at present so cannot do a test.

Edited By P J Hearne on 10/02/2020 03:37:16

Advert

SAFE works on high and low rates, if you are flying upside down you must be in experience mode, you cannot do that in beginner or intermediate in experience mode you have full control of the plane, the only thing that will keep working on all three modes is AS3X ( gyros ). Hope this helps.

I tried to teach using a model with one of the auto stabiliser setups and it was impossible. The model just didnt react as it should and you could hold the controls in any stupid place and the model just ignored you, which taught nothing. It was also hopeless on a windy day as you couldnt turn at all as the gusts tipped the model too far locking it into stabiliser mode and disregarding all input from the tx.

Low rates with a buddy box gets my vote every time.

Posted by David Davis on 10/02/2020 08:53:26:

Would SAFE work in all conditions? If you were flying a model with a 2 metre wingspan, inverted at high speed 500cms above the ground and you hit SAFE, would it have the sense to put in down elevator first and then climb or would it roll first and smash itself to pieces? devil

Safe has no spatial awareness, so in your example it would probably try to roll upright and therefore hit the deck.

It definitely has it's uses, but it's not an auto pilot!!cheeky

Kim

I for one cannot fly without the use of SAFE, old age, arthritis. But I can use the beginner, intermediate on bad days, and on good days expert . We get a lot of cross wind coming off the sea and AS3X is a god send for me. I can do very good landings where thoughs without have trouble. SAFE is not a auto pilot, I agree with Kim on that, I have still had my share of crashes (pilot error ) it's just a good help for people like me. I had the basic instructions from a qualified flyer, then I got my Eflite sports cub and grew in confidence. I can now fly scale aircraft , with SAFE and enjoy myself. Sorry for going off the subject somewhat.

Chris

Thanks thats good to know. I am returning to model flight from several years ago when there was no AS3X so am keen to learn all I can about it.

My Flight Simulator a Real Flight 9 would suggest my skills have improved though I have yet to test this for real at the flying field.

I have rejoined my old Club and am hoping to get advice and instruction there soon.

Have put together and progrmmed Tx for an Eflite Maule M7 though am worried its a bit large for transportation.

I guess there is always preflight worries with this hobby.

My experience of new flyers using Beginner mode is that the plane is so desensitised in SAFE mode where they have to push and hold the sticks into the corners to get it to turn and the self levelling on releasing the sticks make the transition to regular flight quite interesting as they try to unlearn SAFE mode flying and progress is actually slower than the traditional buddy box system.

But for a lone flyer without access to an instructor then they are a way of getting in the air.

PJ - we had a new member join last year who last flew 30+ years ago, we just did the first few take off and landings (plus trimming) for the first few flights while he got his eye back in.

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 10/02/2020 08:46:45:

I tried to teach using a model with one of the auto stabiliser setups and it was impossible. The model just didnt react as it should and you could hold the controls in any stupid place and the model just ignored you, which taught nothing. It was also hopeless on a windy day as you couldnt turn at all as the gusts tipped the model too far locking it into stabiliser mode and disregarding all input from the tx.

Low rates with a buddy box gets my vote every time.

Totally agree when I was learning had this happen to me - the model drifted out of my life - never used SAFE since and will never again !

Posted by P J Hearne on 11/02/2020 04:06:22:

Thanks thats good to know. I am returning to model flight from several years ago when there was no AS3X so am keen to learn all I can about it.

My Flight Simulator a Real Flight 9 would suggest my skills have improved though I have yet to test this for real at the flying field.

I have rejoined my old Club and am hoping to get advice and instruction there soon.

Have put together and progrmmed Tx for an Eflite Maule M7 though am worried its a bit large for transportation.

I guess there is always preflight worries with this hobby.

If you want to learn about SAFE.and AS3X, I suggest you love at this site, it's a dedicated site for people wanting to learn. RC GROUPS .COM. EFLITE SAFE RX IN ANOTHER PLANE. Sorry don't know how to past that on here. First page is about setup and then there's a lot of reading, ask your own questions. As I said I have learnt to fly with and without SAFE I find it a great piece of technology, but you have to learn what it can and not do. I have shown people who haven't flown how to fly with SAFE and they found it very easy to learn. We have a member here that's been flying for years, an experienced flyer with all types but even he struggles with a SAFE plane , you have to learn it. With mine I can take off , land fly fast and slow aircraft in very strong cross winds and turbulent winds which we get here. So don't be put off . LEARN about this technology and you will enjoy it.