Spitfire plans

HowardM

Hi,

Another newbie here.

I just retired and fancy building a big Spitfire about 3ft span or so.

In my youth I made Yacts and Planes, so not a novice, just out of practice.

Can someone point me to good plans which don’t need too much interpretation please.? They should include control lines etc for instance.

thanks

Howard

Advert

Hi Howard,

Welcome to the forum. I am not being negative but there are a number of things to bear in mind in this great hobby.. The 1st model that most new people on the list to own is a Spitfire. Fantastic choice BUT warbirds are not really suitable to cut ones teeth on.

PLEASE consider a trainer type model either foam or built up. this way you should achieve success in learning to fly (with help from a local club flyer).

Not sure that you will find a 3ft model. The norm is from about 48" upwards. (larger models tend to be a little more stable). I would certainly recommend contacting a local club 1st to see the type of models they fly, radio gear etc etc.

Please feel free to ask any questions on here that you may have.

Graham

Hi,

My planes were free flight gliders or control line.

Radio Control was beyond the means of a paperboy in the 70’s

My main interest was pond yachts using planking construction.

In the 80’s I discovered Formula Ford and Wimmin, so no time for models.

In motor racing terms a Spitfire is the equivalent of an F1 Mercedes!

Start with a trainer such as Tyro Major which is available as a free plan to download from Outerzone then join a club where instructors are available.   See what make of radio the local instructors use and buy the same make so they can use  a buddy lead to your transmitter.

Consider getting David Boddingtons out of print book s'h here at a pretty cheap price - still relevent except for electric flight.  Covers all basic things.  No modern books on electric -everything is online now,

Edited By kc on 11/02/2020 19:18:54

If you really must have one then the Tony Nijhuis 44" is fairly simple to build and flies a treat, almost impossible to stall unlike some others I could mention. I had one with an OS26FS, retracts and flew it for years before selling on.

It weighed 3lb 10oz against the hand launched electric original at 2lb 6oz.

As stated above, you will need to get your wings first and at least one or two hot models tamed.

A 1:5 Spit. is 90" and a very large model indeed. Things are compounded with the 50cc petrol motor, powerful servos and the super expensive retracts required. Don`t do it.

Check out the Flite Test Spitfire.

You can build it from Hobbycraft foamboard for very little money so it won't matter when you spank it into the ground, it's easy to build and flies okay... Maybe it's not the ideal first model but at the price you can build several for the cost of a conventional balsa trainer.

Putting in a gyro stabilised system such as the Spektrum AS3X would help when learning to fly.

Plans and build video here: **LINK**

They also do loads of smallish, cheap, get-you-into-the-air-and-flying-with-as-little-difficulty-as-possible models as well. I recommend the Bushwacker, Explorer, Tiny Trainer, Old Fogey or FT Flyer.

This appears to be a rather nice control-line Spitfire Howard, - 46in span. Do you still have any of the engines from your youth and what are they?

If you fancy getting into Radio Control you might consider a glider or, to be precise, an electric motor-glider to start with. There have been several excellent free plans in RCM&E over the years, straightforward to build and relaxing to fly. For example Easter Eagle, Red Eagle and more recently Firestreak.

Whatever you do, do consider joining a club, as others have suggested.

Welcome back to the hobby, by the way.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 12/02/2020 13:25:08