Replacement Charger?

Neil67

I have an Overlander RC 6 Touch charger which has started to reboot every few seconds, making it impossible to charge anything.

Happens with all batteries.

Contacted Overlander but advice was "we won't be able to fix it as it is an old model".

Recommendations for a new charger - do I trust Overlander again?

I have an I max B6 bought from Hobbyking a couple of years back so supposedly not a clone, which works well.

Hobbyking currently showing same charger but now marked as "copy". Are "copies" or ebay Clones safe given the whole risk around charging Lipos?

Any advice welcomed.

Advert

Just my view here Neil

My advice is to give Overlander a chance after serving us well for 45 years.

Fixing a Charger is marginal at the best of times

Some parts loaded and more overheated than others means that e.g. We spend £25 faffing and posting

After fitting a power chip, literally fitting new into a well used device. Then it blows again?

If a Charger lasts 12 months then it has paid us back

Give Overlander another look in

Posted by Doc Marten on 13/03/2020 23:23:19:

I like the Turnigy Reaktor, it also has a foam cutting programme in the menu.

Yep, my Reaktor has worked very well since I blew up the main charging port on my iCharger so that it can only charge 3 cell packs. Nice bit of kit and great value for money.

Posted by Neil67 on 12/03/2020 20:06:53:

I have an Overlander RC 6 Touch charger which has started to reboot every few seconds, making it impossible to charge anything.

Happens with all batteries.

Contacted Overlander but advice was "we won't be able to fix it as it is an old model".

Recommendations for a new charger - do I trust Overlander again?

I have an I max B6 bought from Hobbyking a couple of years back so supposedly not a clone, which works well.

Hobbyking currently showing same charger but now marked as "copy". Are "copies" or ebay Clones safe given the whole risk around charging Lipos?

Any advice welcomed.

Unless the 'repair' is a very simple and obvious fault i.e broken cable, connector fallen of a pcb etc. then I suspect that the 'repair' would be to simply replace the failed unit with a new one, either under warranty or chargeable for a current model out of guarantee. |They are a throw away item. Have a look at the HK Turnigy Accucel chargers, I've had a couple for years (8 cell and 6 cell) and they still perform well.

Edited By Cuban8 on 14/03/2020 09:38:24

The ISDT Q6 Pro is an excellent charger, its very small but its a 300 watt charger where most are only 50w, it does pretty much every chemistry including LiPo HV, the colour menus are dead easy to navigate and its just a really nice package and not expensive.

I use mine for everything, the usual 3S 2200's, loads of LiFePo4, my 10S 5000 ebike LiPo battery, Lion torch batteries, nims, car batteries, leisure batteries, its so versatile.

The video doesnt mention that it also does ESR measurements which compare well with the Wayne Giles meter.

Edited By Phil Green on 14/03/2020 13:31:51

Posted by Phil Green on 14/03/2020 09:56:02:

The ISDT Q6 Pro is an excellent charger, ..........................

I use mine for everything, the usual 3S 2200's, loads of LiFePo4, my 10S 5000 ebike LiPo battery, .................. its so versatile.

Edited By Phil Green on 14/03/2020 09:57:16

Hi Phil

I am intrigued by the reference to charging 10s Lipo. I like the ISDT products but need 10s chargers so had discounted them for that application. Are you splitting those packs for charging or do you know some trick I don't?

For 10s I am presently using iCharger or Chargery products.

Dick