OS 40 FS pre Surpass

Martin Arnold 1

Advert

Posted by Paul Marsh on 17/04/2020 15:49:44:

I've got 5 kicking around. they were off the OS Radial,same ones, but used a collector ring instead.

arent those bigger? my asp radial uses the same 11x.75 thread as a 90 fs and i think my FF240 and 320 do as well.

The FS 40 ( one of the best engines OS ever produced IMO) uses the same exhaust pressure adaptor ( some call it a silencer) as the 20 & 26 OS engines. I think the ASP, SC 52 fits. Sometimes the OS version turn's up on eBay.

They can go for surprisingly high prices. Have you tried Just Engines? I sold a new one in its packet a few years ago. It was a spare I had and the auction went over £20 - I was amazed and wished I'd bought 20 off them when they were available. LOL.

The pressure adaptor ( which some think is a little Muffler) is best left off. It does nothing to quieten the engine as its quiet to start with. Its not high power like later generation OS engines. The FS 40 sets up better and runs better off pressure.

FS40 OS - 1982 - First version had a spring needle. Like a control line or stunt engines Needle. Flexible. Later versions had the grey shorter Needle. Like on the Surpass 40

Steve

Edited By Steven Webb (Steve Webb Models) on 17/04/2020 17:04:46

The slight problem I have, is that this is one of two fitted to a DB Super Trouper Twin, It would become rather expensive to replace both exhausts (£60-70 for two systems) and I don't want to have odd exhausts on a twin, which is why I'm trying to find a header for this one from somewhere.

Have spoken to JE, no luck.

There is a rather nasty one on Ebay at the moment at £54.00 with an hour or so to go, but this seems like too much for dog !!

Thanks for your input.

Edited By Martin Arnold 1 on 17/04/2020 17:26:00

Yes it does, it quite surprised me when I first set the plane up how much power the little 40's running together have, mind you it has quite a light wing loading being 72" span and weighing 7.5lbs

Haven't flown it for years, an old flying buddy of mine built the airframe for me from a Dave Boddington plan about 15 years ago and I did all the installation. I was just preparing it for an outing with new bearings in the motors and a good fettling............When all this lot happened.

Posted by Martin Arnold 1 on 23/04/2020 13:18:42:

Thanks so much Keith, the pipe is fitted and my twin is ready go...........When we are let out of course !!

This has lifted my spirits no end in these dark days of doom and gloom, to be in receipt of such a kind gesture.

super trouper.jpg

Wow, what a brilliant looking model Martin, and it's good to see the exhaust part on it. I bet it will sound awesome with two FS40s purring away. I loved the sound of the one I did havecrying 2 which the part is off.

Jon - Laser

Will see what I can do....... Having replaced the bearings in about six engines and tested them (4 Saito and 2 OS only run four strokes these days) in the last 2 weeks, the neighbours are used to the music, they probably think they are some sort of garden tools !!!

Edited By Martin Arnold 1 on 23/04/2020 18:46:58

Edited By Martin Arnold 1 on 23/04/2020 18:47:56

I am pondering digging out all of my models and giving the engines a quick run up. I was worried about the noise but one neighbour essentially shrugged his shoulders and said it was my garden and i choose what i want to do in it.

I think i will run them in phases over a few weeks. Get some of the little ones done first and then move on to the big ones. They wont need to run long. Just enough to get them hot and flush some new oil through them.

I might make a video series. Lockdown engine testing, perhaps it will catch on?

Well I tried to upload a video into my album but it said the file was to large at 47mb, how do I uplaod a video then ?

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 23/04/2020 18:17:34:

Martin, can we get a little video of the engines singing together? Might upset the folks next door but a little music might brighten up the forum