Ballerina Bi-plane

Not sure who,s intrested but since building my ballerina and loving it ive always wanted a bi-plane version but never thought any more about it until Nigel R started his aeromaster build which I wanted to build but due to lock down and my printer out of action got no further than down loading the plan.so out with pencil and paper I modified my ballerina plan which I had enlarged when I built my standard ballerina.i post some pics as I go,actually waiting for my balsa shipment to arrive so might be a slow start.dscf2280.jpg

Advert

What an interesting idea. I'll be watching with interest. I've just made a load of ribs for my Liddle Stik and I was wondering if I could use the templates for an own design biplane. However, I'm not much good at tech drawing even though I had to some at night school a lifetime ago so I'm not sure I could run to a swept back top wing like yours.

Geoff

it will be electric as my original version,im still not decided on the front end,i would like a dummy radial engine to give it a stearman look but not sure if ive got the patience to build one,probally depends on how long the lock down lasts.i nearly went with straight wings but the aeromaster looks so good with a mixture of both.002.jpg

Hi Andy,

I'm about 3/4 through a ballerina build and thinking about it being a biplane had crossed my mind a few times!

I'm looking forward to seeing how she turns out.

For a radial, a 3d printed one is an option and you can just paint it up to look realistic if you want. Even without paint it still looks good.

I'd print one for you if you wanted.

Gary

Hi Gary i might take you up on the 3d printed one if I go the radial way which is the way im thinking002.jpg,i made a 1/3 scale rotec a while back but the thought of doing again but on a smaller scale doesn't inspire me.

Posted by AndyD on 03/05/2020 17:12:27:

Hi Gary i might take you up on the 3d printed one if I go the radial way which is the way im thinking002.jpg,i made a 1/3 scale rotec a while back but the thought of doing again but on a smaller scale doesn't inspire me.

No problem. There are loads on Thingiverse so if you find one you like then let me know and I'll print it for you.

Gary

dscf2277.jpgspent most of the morning trying to get my laptop connected to the internet,dont what I done but its working.one full sheet of 3/32 and lots of bits and pieces and I now have a set of ribs,shall have to see what else ive got in the garage so ive got something to do until my order arrivresdscf2276.jpg.for somebody who don't like making wings I just love to torture my self,my last build was a 1/4 scale pup and ive just finised the wood build of a 1/3 scale DR1 and now im back on with another bi-plane,madness.

dscf2286.jpgdone as much as I can with the odds and ends I had so now its sit and wait for my balsa delivery.i didn't want to waste my time so had a fiddle to see what I could make engine wise,a bit fiddly with such a small engine,to many fingers getting in the way.dscf2285.jpg

its basically the same from the rear to the cockpit then changed for the upper wing and to suit hopefully my radial engine.the top wing is 52 3/4 swept back and the bottom wing is straight at 48 inches giving roughly the same wing area compared to my 65 inch original single wing version.

back in the eighties I used to do a lot of own designs and modifications much more rewarding but shamefully not so much these days.i think I may be getting back into it again as the artf planes have lost their appeal to me.

Posted by Geoff S on 03/05/2020 14:51:22:

I'm not sure I could run to a swept back top wing like yours.

Geoff

My drawing skills are not exactly top notch either - so my answer was to draw just the single panel and build the other with drawing flipped. At least if they're wrong, they're both the same wrong!

Perhaps it's too late but worth mentioning here that Vortex Vacform do moulded dummy radial engines in various sizes. Also a couple of flat 4 engines for Cubs etc. And they also have their range of canopies and cowls.  Plus they do spats and pilot figures in various sizes. 

Edited By kc on 06/05/2020 11:28:20

my skills are very basic and some times draw the rough out line as needed and add to the plan when the various parts are made,knowing whats in my head and putting it to paper don't always come easy,ive found a plane as got to be very bad not to fly and you get a feeling when things are right.

From my own experience the only time a lack of detail plans has really hurt is when the creation works so brilliantly that you want to build another exactly the same!

Fortunately for me it just does not happen that often.

The Ballerina is the only design I have ever built two of and even then they have significant differences. wink 2