Warbirds Replicas P51 Mustang

RICHARD WILLS

Gordon , re the sound system . On my blue nose P51 , I  fitted the speaker under the wing . Behind the spar and just clear of the fuselage . I simply cut the wing skin off between ribs and glued a piece of the 2mm or 3mm depron in as the new skin with the speaker epoxied in the middle of it . A small piece  of lead was then sunk into the opposite wing tip . 

The system works well and gives a good bass sound . 

But as the Mustang has a bit more room than the Spitfire (which is a juggling act for space ) , I would have preferred the speaker in the "tank bay " as you suggest . Not least because access for maintenance would be simpler and I would avoid one more connector when the wing comes off . 

With the sound outlet , you have to think that the whole 3" square or more depron "trampoline" is vibrating so you really want it all to be able to emit sound straight out . 

Paul found some very fine stainless mesh , which could be used to replace the original skin and I hope will allow a full flow of sound . I intend to use the same method on my BOB Spitfire . If you want some , email me Gordon . 

As Paul said , check C of G , but I would have thought you can slide the battery back far enough to take up the slack .

I dont know why , but a square of Depron of larger than 3" square just seems to work better than anything . The one on my Heinkel is truly impressive for such a simple installation , 

Advert

Richard,

Thanks very much for the insight on mounting the sound system. I have had a look at mounting it in the rear fuselage just aft of the wing and there is certainly enough room to fit the transducer on a 4” by 4” depron sheet replacing the balsa lower skin.

I plan to wait to determine the CG  location before making the final decision on location. Will pm you on the mesh.

Meantime, getting on with the fuselage build, installing the instrument panel and figuring out how to fit the brave pilot.

BEBAB640-8423-4177-B07E-45B5A09B72B4.thumb.jpeg.17b4c613b31d3a3960cd7585c335769f.jpeg

Hi guys,

A slightly off topic but very revalant subject is weight. This document by a Gentleman called Gary Weaks although technical does highlight why weight is such an important thing with our models. It's only a few pages but we'll worth a read. I am sure the old hands are aware of this but thought the newer guys might appreciate it as an insight into the scale issues to which many aspire to make a perfect model.

That extra weight can make all the difference between a good flying model or one with the glide slope of a manhole cover.Weight and flight performance of scale models by Gary Weaks-1.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK nearly time to cut the flaps etc out. 

Thought I would get on with a few of the last mins jobs. 

Couple of quick questions. 

1) trying to sheet the wheel wells. Any hints and tips on getting the right shap and size and how do you hold the sheets in place while they glue. Was thinking of using ca but not sure. 

2) putting in the leading edge how do you hold it in place when you glue it on?

Thx 

Jon

On 07/03/2021 at 19:29, Gordon McConnell said:

Meantime, getting on with the fuselage build, installing the instrument panel and figuring out how to fit the brave pilot.

BEBAB640-8423-4177-B07E-45B5A09B72B4.thumb.jpeg.17b4c613b31d3a3960cd7585c335769f.jpeg

Gordon 

I find fitting the pilot with a blindfold helps keep them brave for a while longer.... I found with my aircrew it lowered the screaming pitch on the maidens ??

10 hours ago, Jonathan S said:

OK nearly time to cut the flaps etc out. 

Thought I would get on with a few of the last mins jobs. 

Couple of quick questions. 

1) trying to sheet the wheel wells. Any hints and tips on getting the right shap and size and how do you hold the sheets in place while they glue. Was thinking of using ca but not sure. 

2) putting in the leading edge how do you hold it in place when you glue it on?

Thx 

Jon

Hi Jonathan,

I cut pieces of sheet balsa roughly to size and then made the final "adjustments" by trial and error.  Re the gluing, I used medium CA and a spray of kicker to hold things firmly in place while I finished the job.

For the leading edge, I used aliphatic resin and held the edge on while it dried with lots of masking tape.

• Thanks 1

Sometimes you can't believe how stupid you can be.....

I thought I'd fit the magnets to hold the battery hatch lid on.  Drilled four holes in the hatch frame and four matching holes in the body.  Epoxied in the four magnets in the body, then did the four in the hatch.  Some 20 minutes or so later it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't checked that I'd matched the magnet poles, so that the magnets attracted rather than repelled each other.

Aaarrgh!

I quickly checked and, would you believe it, every one was in the wrong way round!  So my battery hatch would catapult off every time you tried to fit it!

Thankfully, the glue wasn't properly hard, so I got the magnets out without damage.  They're now in the correct way round - doh!

Onwards and upwards, or, in my case, sometimes backwards! 

7 minutes ago, Tim Kearsley said:

Sometimes you can't believe how stupid you can be.....

I thought I'd fit the magnets to hold the battery hatch lid on.  Drilled four holes in the hatch frame and four matching holes in the body.  Epoxied in the four magnets in the body, then did the four in the hatch.  Some 20 minutes or so later it suddenly occurred to me that I hadn't checked that I'd matched the magnet poles, so that the magnets attracted rather than repelled each other.

Aaarrgh!

I quickly checked and, would you believe it, every one was in the wrong way round!  So my battery hatch would catapult off every time you tried to fit it!

Thankfully, the glue wasn't properly hard, so I got the magnets out without damage.  They're now in the correct way round - doh!

Onwards and upwards, or, in my case, sometimes backwards! 

Thanks Tim, it's taken me 20 minutes to stop laughing ? 

51 minutes ago, Tim Kearsley said:

Richard Wills, you should be on the stage....

Tim , I have never been on the stage as I consider myself a very private person . But I did grow up in the Circus . 

My Dad had one of those big cannons , which he was very proud of and it was while auditioning for a girl to fire out of the cannon , that he met my mum . 

He always insisted that he had turned her head , but she maintained that was the rifled bore . 

I suppose watching mum "gliding " through the air was what sparked my interest in flying .

Eventually , unlike some disgruntled kids who ran away to the circus , I actually ran away from the circus . 

I suppose coming home from school every week and finding that your whole family had upped sticks and gone became a bit tiring after while . i don't know what it was , but I never really felt .....

wanted . 

Parents evening was also very awkward , but on the flip side , show and tell was great .

Ive made some nice friends on here though and they dont live in caravans .

Well as promised some pics. The Socks are P51 socks my brother got me for my birthday.

Also finally cut the flaps and ailerons from one wing and sheeted the wheel wells. 

The cutting went OK but I do have a question on how to finish the alierons, do I sand them flush / what do I need to do to finish them. 

thanks

Jon

sock.jpg

flap.jpg

ali.jpg

wheel well1.jpg

Wheel well2.jpg

36 minutes ago, Eric Robson said:

I don't know about Pretty Polly but they have the markings of Big beautiful doll.

Jonathan you really don't want all those nobbly bits on your ailerons.

Eric,

Thanks for the feedback, do I sand /cut the sheet and the nobbly bits back to flush with the spar?