2020 PSSA Mass Build - Sabre - The Completed Model Thread!

Although I still can't confirm WHEN the Sabre Mass Build Event will take place - for obvious reasons - I'm conscious there are some models completed or fast approaching completion in good time for our original target date - whilst others still have some significant work to do!!

I'm hoping this thread might generate a little excitement ahead of the meet and help motivate us all to the finish line... I cannot wait to get all these models together and flown at what will be our flagship event - this year - or next?

A place to post a photo or two of your finished F-86 Sabre!

Please keep the posts brief and to the point - add a little description of your finished model, maybe describing the chosen subject, the type of finish, achieved AUW, R/C channels and any special features etc.

Lets get a big list of finished models all available to view and admire in one place! Many thanks for your participation, see you all on a slope one day soon!

1586020585097493193861.jpg

• This is the Italian Aerobatic Team Cavallino Rampante version in the colours of the team. Apparently the fuselage was painted in a Lancia Car Body Colour! According to the website "Cavallino Rampante (Prancing Horse) aerobatic team has been established in 1956 from 4th Aerobrigata of Italian Air Force, as a successor of Cavallini Rampanti but this time flew five Canadair Sabre Mk4 (F-86 Sabre)."
  • AUW 4lb 7.5oz including 4oz of lead in the nose which works out to be 23.6 ounce per sq foot wing loading
  • In deviation from the plan I made a lost foam fibreglass fuselage, which was quite light up and until the application of covering. I used however exclusively film. The Antique Cream I think weighed heavily. It was the only covering I could get in the right shade of Antique Cream. It was Glosstex. The Red and Blue were Solarfilm. Glosstex is Solartex with a gloss covering to save you having to paint it.
  • The model has 4 channels, Rudder, Elevator, Ailerons, Flaps. Crow Brakes are also programmed in, with about 70 degress of drop in the flaps which are bottom hinged, whereas the ailerons are top hinged using Blenderm tape. I tried to use silicone but could not get it to adhere
  • Hoping to maiden it soon, just waiting for the right day.

Edited By Peter Garsden on 22/05/2020 17:38:39

Edited By Peter Garsden on 22/05/2020 17:39:23

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

20200720_200503.jpgHello all !

Altough i still have to add panellines and do a few last ''things'' ,let me show you the plane i'm participating with in the 2020 SABRE MASS BUILD.

The model has working speed brakes , real gun ports , nav-and tail ligts , a working eject seat with shute and releasable canope , wind-splits on the wings but has no rudder or flaps !

It's operated with 4 channels and the weight without battery is 1750 grams.

It is a replica of the sabres used by the Italian aerobatic team ''CAVALINO RAMPANTE'' in the mid-fifties.

It is glass/epoxy covered and painted with spray cans , and has vinyl decals.

20200720_200508.jpg

20200720_200550.jpg

20200720_200559.jpg

20200720_200648.jpg

20200720_200740.jpg

20200720_200801.jpg

20200720_200814.jpg

20200720_200913.jpg

x20200720_201216.jpg

20200720_201800.jpg

20200720_200503.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My subject for the mass build was the F-86F that was used by NASA at their Ames research facility to investigate boundary layer control. This was the first flying aircraft they used (they did some wind tunnel testing before) and was in service with NASA from 1953-65. I have searched the internet and can find just one picture of this plane in a NASA history book from 1999 and its black and white! But the colours used by NASA are well documented elsewhere and some computer flight sim artists have made up digital versions, one of which looks pretty accurate to me. The full-size had a very large protruding instrument stalk on the nose which I omitted for safety.

This was my first PSSA mass-build so I learnt a lot.

img_2340.jpg

My model was finished in glass cloth and epoxy (the first time I had done it). The finish is ok rather than great I think and I have since learnt a few tricks that I will use to get a better finish next time. Also new for me was spray painting the model (went well with commercial acrylic paints) and making and applying my own decals. These used various images found on the internet resized and printed at home on my ink-jet printer. The whole thing was sprayed with satin varnish to finish. The eagle-eyed will see I omitted the rudder (I didn't want the control snake sticking out of the side of the fuselage). I built in substantial flap movement (about 80 degrees) with crow-braking coming on about half way through the travel. I hid the battery on/off switch in the nose air intake. Panel lines were hand drawn with a pen and I weathered it with a soft brush and dark paint. Finished weight was 1.92kg (4.23lbs) and I use a 4cell 2200mah Nimh battery for radio/servo power.

img_2342.jpgimg_2344.jpg

First flights are always nerve-wracking and especially this one after such a long complex build (for me). But it had to happen and last weekend at the Orme seemed the right time. Martin gave me a try on the sticks piloting the prototype plane first and then he chucked mine off the side of the hill. I was surprised and pleased to see it glide steadily away just like my old Phase 6! The only trim adjustment needed was dialling in more up elevator. Martin warned me the model likes to be flown fast and once I was right in the lift and had attained some height I got used to zooming back and forth in front of the slope. It will take a few flights to get really used to it though. When it came time to land the flaps/crow worked really well, so much I landed a bit further back than I intended but there was no danger - the model was fine. Since coming home I have removed the tailplane (it was only held on with a bit of Pritt for just this eventuality), and got to work with my needle file to increase the upward travel. I felt it could have done with a bit more to tighten the turns during the maiden. Its a great model I am looking forward to getting to know better - well done Martin and Gordon for giving us a top design.

sabre launch.jpg

Edited By robk on 13/09/2020 16:21:58

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

This one is an F86A of the Alaskan Air National Guard. I kept the model as simple as possible - no rudder, no flaps, no drop tanks. But even so, this build has taken me a whole year!

The model is finished in 25gsm glass cloth and epoxy, and sprayed with various different types of acrylic paints. It weighs in at 1.70kg or 3ib 12oz, ready to fly.

But it looks like it will be hanging in the workshop for another 6 months before it gets it's maiden flight.

img_20201108_110211695.jpg

img_20201108_110247417.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Completed my G&M Models F-86 this weekend - A 15 month ‘stop/start’ lockdown build which has kept me challenged and entertained during this crazy period of life!  Thanks to Martin and Gordon for such a cracking plan and short kit!

The model needed just 10g of ballast to achieve the 172mm balance point – with that added it has an AUW of 1835g or 4lb ready to fly and uses 3 Channel R/C for Aileron, Elevator and wing tank release.  No working rudder or flaps on this one – I will programme the Tx for draggerons which should slow things up nicely for landing.  Canopy by Steve Davis at Vortex Vacforms and its fitted with a 3D printed pilot and seat by Andy Meade.  Finish is 25g/m2 glass cloth and Fighter Aces Resin painted with acrylics.  I’ve painted it to represent a/c 11093 flown by the Yugoslavian Airforce display team ‘Team Sabre’ circa 1960.  I think the yellow and blue should lend itself very well with visibility on the slope!  All set up and ready to be test flown when we can get back out to the hills!

740363325_ForumFinishedModel1fullres_edited-1.thumb.jpg.6dcdd9507d5eb4bdea8c6d10b0375239.jpg

1419397180_ForumFinishedModel2fullres_edited-1.thumb.jpg.05961582314d2880eaf0ac3df03efd82.jpg

440583155_ForumFinishedModel4fullres_edited-1.thumb.jpg.43dc5635c0c04c79ae5c6ec4370e6802.jpg

1541835294_ForumFinishedModel6fullres_edited-1.thumb.jpg.ee1409984ee29410f93b98851a1b466c.jpg

Forum Finished Model 5 full res_edited-1.jpg

Edited by Phil Cooke
  • Like 4

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Everyone is raising their game now. I haven't gone to town on this one. I lost my mojo halfway through and I just wanted to get it finished. I made a bit of a gaff on the final lacquer coat, spraying too close and melted some of the paint on the nose. The tanks turned out at 90g each and with the airframe and all the gear plus some lead, flying weight with tanks is 2225g. Somebody tell me this is ok!

Edited by Bob Jennings 1