Walnut Scale Mr Mulligan

Couldn't resist, so got stuck in.....

I chose the Pilot as the construction method is different and will progress more quickly.

These two models are basically freeflight trainers, intended to teach me the basics of trimming a freeflight model.

So far it's great, well designed, with really good instructions and plan. I say plan, only the wing needs to be pinned down, the rest is kinda push fit and glue. OK, so it's designed for a real beginner, but a more experienced modeller will still have loads of fun with it.

I also got some other bits from VMC, some lube, some aluminium tubes 3 mm and 5 mm OD.

I intend to use the 3 mm for the rubber motor rear pegs, so a stooge can be used more easily, and I saw a Joshuawfinn video where he uses the bigger tube with the rubber on over the smaller "peg" when he braids the rubber motor.

I also got extra prop shafts and did the thing right this time, as you can see the shaft projects beyond the bayonet cowl fixing, and keeps the button in when the motor runs down.

I have to say Chaps I'm having more fun with this rubber malarkey, than I've had in ages. laugh

D.D.

img_20200604_203746.jpg

img_20200604_203812.jpg

img_20200604_214546.jpg

img_20200604_214529.jpg

img_20200604_214434.jpg

Advert

Some progress on the VMC Pilot, it's very well designed and goes together quickly as you can imagine, I have used the glue included in the kit this time, apart from joining the wing leading and trailing edges, when pinned on the plan.

The only other deviation, but one suggested in the kit, is I covered the fuz top and bottom with tissue, and not the paper "decals" included.This saves a bit of weight. Also i sanded the tail parts down to 1.4 mm, again to save weight as suggested in the book of words. They say 1.2 but I got bored. blush

I also made a stooge, LOL. I made my own design, I don't know if it's right or even if there is a right way, but it does the job of holding the model while you wind the motor. Can be clamped or screwed down. I will make an attachment for the back of my van at some point.

To this end I have made the motor peg from 3 mm OD ally tube.

D.D.

Stooge.

img_20200606_154033.jpg

Wing drying in the back ground.

img_20200606_154128.jpg

Tail feathers in place, not glued yet.

img_20200606_154219.jpg

Sexy stooge Dwain! Mine was a rough ten-minute job from MDF offcuts years ago (funny how a temporary solution becomes a permanent one!) but it has a longer base which gives more options for clamping down. I later bored a hole near the rear so I could also peg it down with a tent-peg straight onto the grass.

Posted by McG 6969 on 06/06/2020 17:06:32:

... you seem to be seriously 'hooked', Dwain.

Chris

LMAO I see what you did there Chris........laugh

I made mine out of a bit of ply from under the bench Jonathon........Cutout is for bigger models in the future, but no doubt it will "evolve"...LOL

Wings are covered , just drying as we speak.

D.D.

Thanks D.F., I am getting the hang of it now mate...

In the above pics, can you see the balsa strips pinned on the board. I wet the tissue, lay the wing on those strips, and pin/weigh the wing down till it drys.

Where I use pins, I put them into the board at an angle just enough to hold the wing in place, NOT thru the wing.

When I use the EzeDope I put a piece of clear plastic over the strips.

D.D.

Because the Techies have got all their rubbish at the other end..

It's not so bad, when blk 4 is finished the stuff will go in there. We have 2 blks under refurb and two other blocks with works going on, plus to cap it all they are ripping up the all weather football pitch at the end of June and making it bigger

On the bright side, next year I will have it all back.

D.D.