Rans S-9 Chaos. Peter Miller's new design blog

That's what I thought, Peter.  There is a drawing error as only one is shown - or at least implied as the wing centre-line goes through the R1.  Not a serious problem but it did make me scratch my head for a while, especially as Sarik only supply one rib in the CNC cut set.

Thanks for clearing it up.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Lucas Hofman said:

Peter, do you know what the powertrain is in this one. I am thinking of building a S-9 in the same size.

I for one will be interested in a detailed build of this model, like your Ballerina which was what attracted me to this forum and my subsequent Ballerina build and the rest. Thanks Lucas.

Taking this up to 60" will mean the next size motor which will be a 3547 800 kv like this model

4-Max Brushless Motor setup for Peter Miller Little Miss Honky Tonk, RCM&E February 2018

Steve

Mick has a Turnigy G45, 60 Watt ESC, 14X7 Prop,  4 cell battery.  He originally used a 4248 500 motor but that was not powerful enough. 

I see that Google shows a Turnigy G46 but not a 45 so maybe they have changed it or Mick got mixed up.

I would suggest raking the U/C a bit further forward as Mick's model always noses over on the landing run...Mine never does!!

On 04/03/2022 at 06:16, EarlyBird said:

I for one will be interested in a detailed build of this model, like your Ballerina which was what attracted me to this forum and my subsequent Ballerina build and the rest. Thanks Lucas.

Taking this up to 60" will mean the next size motor which will be a 3547 800 kv like this model

4-Max Brushless Motor setup for Peter Miller Little Miss Honky Tonk, RCM&E February 2018

Steve

Wow, this is more praise than expected (or deserved). When building starts, most likely October when the days become short and cold, I will for sure make a detailed blog. It makes building much more social. 

Cheers, Lucas

On 04/03/2022 at 12:08, Peter Miller said:

Mick has a Turnigy G45, 60 Watt ESC, 14X7 Prop,  4 cell battery.  He originally used a 4248 500 motor but that was not powerful enough. 

I see that Google shows a Turnigy G46 but not a 45 so maybe they have changed it or Mick got mixed up.

I would suggest raking the U/C a bit further forward as Mick's model always noses over on the landing run...Mine never does!!

Thanks Peter. The Gxx series are replacements for glow engines. Lite EFlite has. So it must be a G46.

On 04/03/2022 at 11:08, Peter Miller said:

I think it's always been a G46. I've had a new 670kv one in stock for a while now, intended for a model yet to be built.  I'm using an old Scorpion motor in mine I've taken out of my Multiplex Blizzard as I rarely flew it - partly because I couldn't see it well enough. 

I actually made a wider hoop for the windscreen/canopy joint on my Chaos, intending to chamfer the front to take the sloping screen but the chamfer ended up merely narrowing the hoop ?   Those hoops are the worst part of the build IMO but I guess I'll have to make another - I shed blood whilst cutting one of the numerous ply strips with a scalpel (I found using scissors ended up breaking the wood as it peeled away - probably I'm just clumsy).

Yes. I used one standard hoop chamfered to match the windscreen angle and the centre two square and the rear one chamfered.

I used a sharp knife and a steel straight edge to cut the strips...No blood!!

Actually I have found that models seem to fly better if one has accidentally shed blood on them!!!!

(Silly  spellchecker doesn't recognise "Chamfered")

• 2 weeks later...

On of the reasons for the Rans S-9 is that I moved to a club that flies at an airport that is also used by full-size planes. One of these was a Rans S-9, although it was modified enough the authorities designated S-9B. 

LN-SNI-001-1024.thumb.jpg.1c5a1fa649bb09f39726e21f58cfa323.jpg

I always scan the drawing to PDF. Since we have an A0 plotter at work I can then print a few copies that can be cut up to serve as templates. If anyone has scanned the RCM&E drawing I would appreciate a copy (on lucas.bm.hofman @ gmail.com).

Regards,

Lucas

1 hour ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Lucas, no need to publish your email address... forumites can mail you direct through the forum

I found that out now. I am still new to the new forum program. I still have to find out what the best methods is to include pictures (in the old program one needed to upload the pictures to an album first, it seem one can cut and paste now.

18 minutes ago, Peter Miller said:

You email for some reason address comes up as not valid. 

I can send you my own plans AND the rcm&e ones

Thanks again Peter! I will start with making a material list and order what I do not have. The intention is to start in the autumn, but maybe I cannot wait that long. 

Any tips for changing sizes and/or materials for a 110%-115% version?

Regards, Lucas

1 hour ago, Peter Miller said:

For a 115% increase I would not bother to change sizes or materials. After all it is bring the model up to about 60" span and I would use the same size materials for models even a bit over 60" span.

Just in passing.  THis is my standard construction and sizes,

I have a G meter and on my Dancing Queen 53" span and powered by  a Wankle engine I did a terminal velocity dive and hard pull out.

The G meter registered 25.4 G which meant that the model weighed over 90 pounds briefly with no damage.

Does that prove my point?