What glues do you use?

Tony H

Advert

I have been using Deluxe Ptoducts Superphatic for years

I use it for one specific job

When I build my wings I lay down the lower sheet and build the wing on top of it. Once the ribs are glued down I raise the leading edge sheet and pin it to the leading edge WITH THE WING STILL PINNED DOWN. See any of my build blogs

At this stage I run Superphatic along the leading edge and each rib.It wicks in and then dries. Perfect for that job.

During lockdown I needed some wood glue for a Peter Miller Ohmen build, Toolstation was open so I bought some Evo-Stick 'seriously strong stuff'. I am really happy with it, it grabs very quickly and when set is almost clear. As an added bonus as the bottle is bigger than the typical modelling glue bottles I have used it on several other projects around the house....... and still have loads left.

evostick.jpg

Tony said: can you trust CA glues to build an entire airframe

Vecchio says: yes you can. Especially where it is balsa to balsa it is perfect. If there is also harder, dense, wood in the game I would be careful.

Trick with the balsa is: you have to adjust the parts to glue together accurately, then apply the CA which will wick through and job done. If you are impatient buy an accelerator spray. For balsa this is normally not needed, as balsa wood contains enough humidity to kick the reaction rapidly. (Accelerator: for instance Bond it, 200ml approx.5£. Will last for many projects)

So what we need is a certain thin grade.

Do we need to pay a lot?

If we want thin CA the answer is no. Poundland sells "stick it" resealable CA, 3 bottles for 1£ ( ahem - well we are at poundland....) . They come with very thin (1.4mm) extra nozzles which make small portions in tricky positions an easy job. The bottles sometimes clog up at the top, a good glass head pin and the case is solved. And even if not - I am happy to throw 33p in the bin without any pain....

Would send a photo but I just noticed that I ran out.... If you find them, take 3, so you have some reserve. As long as they are not open thy will keep forever (well a chemist may have a different opinion)

End of cost saving actions....

VA, running for his crash helmet to defend against negative comments....

A tip that I got many years ago, is to place your (new, unused!) CA in the freezer, where it will last indefinitely, rather than a few months to a year! Thaw it out before use.

Maybe not applicable with the 30p variety, which I have also used, very successfully!

Edited By Tosh McCaber on 14/07/2020 18:24:05

• 3 weeks later...

I also use PVA glue for small crafty type projects. I never worry about the things because I know that whatever I'm gluing together is gonna last forever. I guess there's not much difference between PVA and Elmer's and many people use the two names interchangeably. Most people do use Elmer's unless they are artists who sell their work.

CA is very useful for some jobs - such as running it through the joints on wing ribs
assembled onto spars. The fumes can give you a feeling of having a heavy cold if
not used carefully - unless there are more benign types available now...
Evo-Stik PVA is used as 1st choice for all well-fitted wood-wood joints.

Edited By Richard Wood on 06/08/2020 11:02:49

Evo-stik PVA: hardwood joints; balsa-ply; ply-ply

Aliphatic: general balsa-balsa structures

Hysol (Aeropoxy): composite- plywood/balsa; composite-composite

JB Weld: metal-metal; metal-wood; carbon-wood; carbon- metal

Araldite 24: general high stress areas

CA: very rarely use it. I don't enjoy the experience!

• 4 weeks later...