Laser Engines development.

Jon H

A little off topic but ill pop it here anyway

For those worried about setting 2 carbs, its as easy as it looks. This video was done for a customer who wanted to see their engine on its factory test run. The engine was new and had not been run prior to the video.

My Laser 300 was bought second-hand some years ago it is the earlier mark with the square design and Irvine carbs. I have flown it a few times but it quite often has a problem when one cylinder goes out. I checked the carbs and the link rod was set so that they were not working in synch. Not only were they were not opening together but the control arms were set at different angles which meant the linearity would have also been different. I don't think the previous owner would have messed with this. I re-adjusted the carbs to work together as accurately as I could but still had problems with dropping one pot. I am now considering using an OBG but this shouldn't be necessary. I am using Irvine contest10 fuel and OS F plugs.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Andy.

Ok, you wanted a video so here we are.

Prop is a 20x8 apc, quite a load for a 200 4 stroke but as you can see, its no problem at all!

Sorry for the wobbly video, i need more arms. Also the mount is not the one it will come with, just something for testing

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 04/11/2020 16:53:27

Agreed. Tuning twin carbs is extremely simple. If you have the ability to tune a single , a twin is no more difficult and only takes literally a few extra seconds. I think the twin carbs are one if the reasons laser twins are so good relative to other manufacturers engines that share a single carb . The hardest thing is remembering to have two glow igniters with you and charged😉

Posted by John Stainforth on 04/11/2020 17:56:36:

Sounds identical to the 200V. Also the RPM is the same as I got on that engine with a 20" prop.

Tim, I have managed to start my 200V with only one glow igniter.

Thats interesting John. At the factory we have all agreed that it sounds quite different to the V and might even think it sounds better. I have not tested a 200v with a 20x8 recently but last i checked it was slower, around 6400 if memory serves. That might not have been an apc though, i cant remember.

Next time i run a 200 i will check it out

Posted by John Stainforth on 05/11/2020 19:02:02:

Jon, actually my 200V does 6800 rpm on a 20 x 6 prop, not a 20 x 8. Also, it is difficult to compare the sound with your video properly, because on the 20 x 6 prop my 200V was really chucking out the dB's.

That sounds right. I expect 7k +-200 on a 20x6 for a 200 and thats why the inline surprised me a bit doing nearly that on 20x8.

Chris, thanks for that. The petrol has not been forgotten, its just that this project is on the go and i want to get it finished so its not hanging like the petrol was.

Nick, yep, but then again that would not be difficult

Andy, we have made our own carbs in house since 2006.

There have been so many alterations over the years even i struggle to keep up. If you take our 100 as an example, it was introduced in 1992 and has 5 distinct versions and at least 2 more variants of the same version. Most of the other engines in the range are similar and its why i always need a photo when it comes to working out what an engine is as there is more to know beyond its size.

I received this as a pm but its likely others have the same question so ill pop the reply here

'Hi Jon, was wondering if you had any particular plans models in mind for the new inline engine you have been working on. Will they be produced in a range of sizes?'

Ok so i designed the 200 inline to fit the DB Spitfire. Why the DB Spitfire? because i have one and wanted an inline twin for it. It is also representative of other 80 inch WWII fighters of 18ish lbs so seemed a reasonable benchmark.

While musing about this with a customer he mentioned that his Mick Reeves 1/6 Spitfire would also be rather tasty with an inline and asked if it would fit. As it happens, it did, but the cylinders were too tall so the 160 inline was born. Same crankcase, shorter stroke and cylinders. A little investigation revealed that this engine would also fit something like a YT/ESM Mustang assuming it was appropriately modified.

While on the hunt for suitable models i checked out my precedent 1/4 stampe to represent tiger moths etc and settled on the dimensions we have. Essentially, i did check that the engine was within reason and used the models i had on hand/had details for to make sure it was all in the ballpark of fitting a given genre.

This was as far as i felt i needed to go as the models i checked would all need significant modification anyway so i was not looking for a drop in fit. The model will need to be built around the engine so i did not bother trying to mass a list of perfectly suited models as none of them are, all will need work to make it happen.

So, with all that said i would expect that any 1/4 ish scale inch tiger moth, chipmunk, stampe etc will accept the engine and i have a dedicated version in mind just for those models. I would also expect that 70-80 inch warbirds would also suit (i wish i still have my pica p40!) and there are plenty of models in both of these classes.

Over time i am sure we will build up a database of models that are best suited but in truth these engines are aimed at the sort of person who has a plan, a pile of wood, and the ability to adapt those to make it all happen with the engine. If that is too much for you its no problem, the 155 or 180 single cylinder will do the job. If you want the twin, its kinda part of the deal. That said, i have some other ideas and if everything works out i cant see why i could not work with someone like DB models and offer a conversion kit or something with the modified parts in the box. I cant do that with Brian Taylor models etc, but there are things we can do once we are further down the track.

As for larger sizes, i have two 5th scale WWII fighters in need of a 50/60cc inline. I have also had submissions of plans with dimensions from two other customers covering the Topflite Giant scale and ziroli 95 inch Mustangs so that any potential future engines are made with those in mind. Again though, my 89'' P51 seems very representative of the breed and i cant see any issues. If someone has a 3rd scale tiger moth plan that might be useful to measure up

• 2 weeks later...

The last part of the inline has been finished so now it has a rather nice mount to sit on. With the addition of two lengths of stainless tube it even doubles as a display stand!

I now also have a final weight for the engine and its 1.9kg. Yeaa its no lightweight, but my word is it solid and when was the last time you came across a Spitfire that didnt need lead in the front. Useful weight and all that

200i mount.jpg

The first 8 engines (4x160 and 4x200) are under way. Once they are finished and tested (before christmas i hope) we will get the out the door to those who have expressed interest in the testing. If you did put you hand up and miss the first round dont worry, i didnt forget you and more will be on the way.

I just hope the weather and the rona allow us to get out and actually do some testing.