Laser Engines development.

Jon H

Getting back on topic, my approach to the new engine, as it's a prototype, is not to get too concerned over the looks but to concentrate on functionality and to feed any findings back to Jon. But all comments are welcome and I appreciate that you haven't got much to go on but hopefully, by the weekend I will be in the process of fitting it to the Sportster and will be able to post more photos then.

I will start preparing the 'operating theatre' in readiness for the transplant, tomorrow as Peggy Sue should be all but done by then

fe6c8102-1b9e-4dc4-ba3a-86b6c7ff3141_1_201_a.jpeg

Halo Jon

I am peter from germany

my son and i operate over 10 laser engine

single engine in zweimot wie dc 3

360 v engine inthe topflite p 47

2 stück 360 ger laser with crankshaft extension in a me 109 and a hurricane

the lasers are opperatet with mini moters ignitions, methanol with 5% Nitro as Fuel

we find what you want to bring very intresting. a 360 in line is ofcourse great.

i would buy one and of course test it.

the me 109 is not painted and could be converted at short time

lg Peter

Hallo Peter

The 360 inline is currently a dream but it is something i would like to offer in future. I cannot offer a lead time for this as we need to complete development of the smaller 160 and 200 inline as well as finish work on our 30cc petrol engine and investigate the reduction drive. This is on top of improving stock and availability of the normal range of engines.

At 60cc however the inline 360 is probably be most popular if it were petrol. As the inline 360 would be made up of two 30cc petrol engines development of that helps with the inline in the long term. There is a great deal of work to do but i am eager to get started as i want one for my 1/5 P51!

• 2 weeks later...

On rainy days like this one i start playing around plans - look what fell into the cowling of my P51b. The aircraft is drawn to 1/6 scale and with the Laser 200. The prop would be only 2" short of a scale diameter. I can't help feeling that it would be well over powered? The last P51 I built at this size was ZG38 powered, the ZG38 weighed in at 2Kg and the aircraft needed weight in the tail! The all up aircraft weight was about 8Kg up. I imagine the Laser would be lighter than this so maybe it would be a good match.  

BFus.jpg

Mustang.jpg

• Like 1

1/6 P51..75 inch? and 16lbs....yep the 200 will over do it slightly, that is why i have a 160 inline waiting in the wings ?

also, 1/6 p51...scale prop is 22.3 inch..cant quite do that on a 160, but if my cunning gearbox plan works out it could turn a 20 inch 4 blade. The 200 might do the 22 inch 4 blade though, so there is that option. 

It looks like a perfect fit in the cowl too. Even tanks will be an easy fit so its just the cooling. You can use the scale smily face inlet, then its just a matter of baffles and a duct of some sort to poop the hot air out the back of the scale radiator. 

That is beginning to sound pretty nice, I used to own a 160v and it was such a sweet engine. I presume that the 160 would also be 230mm long as the 80 & 100 single are both the same length. A pair of 9oz tanks would just fit into the tank bay at carb height. Would the 160 in line swing an 18/19" prop comfortably. I'm not insistent on turning a scale diameter propeller, as long as it is not stupidly small. My previous P51d swung a 19" prop and looked OK. I prefer 2 blade props, because at some point the plane will make a wheels up landing for whatever reason and I don't fancy the idea of it costing a prop in the process. 

IMG_7713.JPG

Edited by Peter G Simpson

The 160 might struggle at 19inch but the 200 would walk it. I used a 20x8 apc on test and it was fine at 6800rpm. a 19x8 would probably do around 7200 and would be really nice. 

Both the 160 and 200 inline share the same crankcase. Its just the cylinder height that is different. 

Your point about expensive props does count against the gearbox. But, if someone wants a scale prop then the choice is made for them. From a business point of view, why not make something that lets me take their money?  

Also, the bigger prop will make the engine much quieter and that is a big win for clubs. 

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hello,

Delighted to read about the new inline engine configurations. I had two questions: 1) the Laser Engines website is only showing the 200 inline, but based on the discussion above, it seems an inline is also (or will be very soon?) available in 160. Is this correct?  2) Could you provide an update on the development of the gas engine. I recall it was mentioned as being 30cc, so is it a single cylinder? 

My current project is approaching completion and I would very much like to try a Laser engine in the next build. 

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if I've missed this but I was perusing Mick Reeves Models' website looking for some flexible stainless tubing and came across this (with nothing in the way of explanation) :

P1010045.jpg

Is this a Laser collaboration or has Mick constructed it himself? It looks home brewed or very much a development prototype.  What an intriguing prospect for a large warbird!

BTW, I was pleased to find he seems to have a range of tubing in stock as well as his assortment of useful fittings.  The website is a fine example of why website designers make a living but service seems as excellent as ever with rapid response to my email - and postage at pretty much cost...not used as a hidden way to bump up prices as many suppliers seem to do!

• Like 1

On 06/07/2021 at 15:10, Nostromo said:

Hello,

Delighted to read about the new inline engine configurations. I had two questions: 1) the Laser Engines website is only showing the 200 inline, but based on the discussion above, it seems an inline is also (or will be very soon?) available in 160. Is this correct?  2) Could you provide an update on the development of the gas engine. I recall it was mentioned as being 30cc, so is it a single cylinder? 

My current project is approaching completion and I would very much like to try a Laser engine in the next build. 

Thanks.

Sorry i missed this post. The 160 and 200 inline's have been developed together as they are basically the same engine. Both are out in the wild and we are waiting to hear back. As mentioned earlier in the thread, dont expect production engines to be available for at least another year. In the meanwhile small batches of engines are being made and sold provided those buying understand its a development item and it has not completed long term reliability testing. 

The 180 petrol is in a similar position just further down the road. I have had a small batch almost ready for the last 3 months and i am still waiting for parts to finish them. 

Martin. That was Mick's own creation and i do not know much about it to be fair. On the subject on a V4 though its already been done. What remains of the prototype is in a heap in the corner of my workshop. It ran ok, loads of power, but a problem i designed out was designed back in again when my design was deemed too complicated to make and altered despite my protest. However, it proved the concept and it would be easy to resurrect provided it was made to the original design. However....it has 4 carburettors, so there's that. 

There is also the other issue. Would you want a 320 or 400 V4, or a 360 inline twin? The V would be...delicious, but the twin would likely be easier to use. Maintenance of the V will be impossible for the average user and it will have to be returned to the factory. The twin will be longer, but the V probably heavier. The twin might also be able to run on petrol using parts from the 180 fuel system. The V will also be more expensive with all the extra parts. 

Vote now, V4 or inline twin? Or both...

4 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

Its 2x 300v, and assuming the double the fuel consumption of my own 300v on the new fuel i would say a 10 minute flight would be ok on...28oz? not too bad for 100cc

Hmm.

£2.90 for a 10 minute flight. That is £17.40 an hour.

Is that cheap or expensive ?

For anyone who is interested, I will be documenting fitting the 160 in line twin into an ESM P51 (brand new, old stock!) including chopping the front off the fuse to set the bulkhead back to take the longer engine. Hoping to get started on the build in a couple of week’s time.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, kevin b said:

Hmm.

£2.90 for a 10 minute flight. That is £17.40 an hour.

Is that cheap or expensive ?

vs a model cost of what..£3000? 100cc spitfire must be a 3 grand model at least so i would argue that flying the things is the cheap part. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Don Fry said:

If I’m chewing  up the motorway in my boring diesel box, the cost is about the same.

What would you prefer to do.

well quite. i have a 40 minute drive to my field so glow fuel costs are hardly an issue

1 hour ago, Nigel R said:

H or X8! ?

I designed an x4 and x8 some time ago. The x8 has perfect even spacing of the firing pulses and would be quite a monster. The 4 cylinder would have uneven fire and, i suspect, would sound rather good as a result. 

The V4 has uneven fire as well and it did sound nice

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines