Fournier RF-4

Will take some photos in the next couple of days and post them. It will be electric powered, most of the fuselage is done except for the snakes and servo fitting. Wings are more or less complete. Have made a stand off motor mount using the original firewall and the battery is behind the firewall. May have to sort something out regarding CoG etc. I have made a mold out of blue foam for a fibreglass cowling but it needs a bit of fettling. Have recently acquired a shabby Veron RF5 which has longer wings than the original kit. (Ihave a thing about Fourniers!) I was considering turning it into a slope soarer but there are not too many slopes here in Suffolk!

pb050012.jpgLooking very neat Steve. Finally got mine out of the rafters so here are some pics. One showing the mold for the cowling. Another of the story so far and one of the motor mount which will probably be changed from bolts/tubing to threaded rod/lock nuts to make any adjustments easier. Oh dear, I've managed to make a faux pas and can't delete the picture above!pb050007.jpgpb050012.jpgpb050014.jpg

I agree with FF and we are at the same stage Bob.

Deck covered.

img_20201105_163401963.jpg

After a bit of sanding I noticed this nice bit of detail.

img_20201105_163631219_hdr.jpg

The grain matches. That would be a shame to cover it up.

Tail surfaces next and I am wondering how to to lighten the load. The rudder is especially heavy. My thoughts are either open frame or built up on a 1/16" balsa sheet. There again I could drill large holes or taper them down or both. thinking Any ideas?

Cheers beer

Steve

That's good news Bob. I am looking at the tail surfaces that are 1/4" medium balsa.

img_20201106_101301135.jpg

My thoughts are to go for a built up structure using 1/2" x 1/4" frame with 1/4" x 1/4" struts. I have worked out that on the fin this will reduce the area by 40%. If I had a set of scales I could convert that to grams.

Making assumptions on the type and density of balsa this equates to three grams. Hmm thinking.

Over all maybe 30 grams. On the tail and 100 grams on the nose. Hmm more thinking.

Obviously I am guessing but I like open framed structures and I like to experiment, as it adds interest.

Cheers beer

Steve

I almost always replace solid tail surfaces with built up ones. Sometimes, rather than pursuing weight saving as a primary objective, I instead permit myself the luxury of using harder (so probably heavier) wood where appropriate, particularly on leading edges which so easily pick up dings and dents.