Brian Taylor P-51

Drifting off subject again Mr. Fenton wink lovely aeroplane the Chippy but so is the Apache, the Nimrod/Fury and the P 51. Must admit I used to do that now I concentrate on one at a time as I would hate to leave my family a heap of unfinished projects to sort out, not that I am planning on going anywhere for a long time .

Cheers Eric.

Excellent Danny. I have the plan for the Jerry Bates 1/4 Chippie but never got around to it so could Build a Danny Fenton one instead in the future!

I also struggle with finishing projects Eric but haven't developed the discipline of staying on one subject at a time. Maybe I'll teach myself that in the future!

Gary

I thought I was doing very well The Apache is waiting flight tests, as is the Fury, and a Hurricane, not to mention a Grumman Trainer.

I don't have access to a decent flying site at the moment, so I am supposed to be alternating between a day on the Mustang and a day on the Chippy, alas that plan seems to have gone a tinsy bit awry embarrassed

Cheers

Danny

Hi Gary, I have the Jerry Bates too, and the Dave Womersley, neither are quite right. Though Dave's is closest.

I took part in my first R/C BMFA scale comp at Blackpool on Sunday and it has fired me up to get a decent model built, I have been talking about it long enough crook

I didn't do that well on Sunday, but I didn't come last either.

A Fenton Chippy, now I like the sound of that smile p

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 26/09/2020 22:22:49

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gary, patience my friend

Well I am stuck and cannot do any more on my Chipmunk project until I get to the 1:1 and take some measurements.

So I thought I better get back onto the Mustang.

Final aileron fitted need to sort some servo trays and set up the RDS.

084.jpg

It may mot be much progress but it is progress none-the-less

Cheers

Danny

Filed flats in the piano wire and added a simple balsa guide between the rear spars, (I will face this with some 1/16 ply as a bearing surface).

085.jpg

All seems to be set up okay, will have to check with the TX as i never trust these servo testers to get the extent of travel right.

086.jpg

Lovely thing about RDS is you can slide the surface back off, no linkages to mess with.

088.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Hi Martyn, Eric Strefford printed them for me. They seem robust enough, the one area we are worried about is the grub-screws are in threaded plastic. I have used two 3mm grub-screws, and filed flats on the torque rod.

The wooden block has made things much more solid, I faced the block with a small square of 1/16 ply to beef up the bearing surface.

089.jpg

Cheers

Danny

I was going to 3D print some as well but insert a brass collet into the centre and use long grub screws that would engage with the plastic outer. That would also give me a big enough access hole to get at the servo arm screw as well.

They do look great. I will be using RDS on my next scale model

Martyn

For these wing servos the size is just about optimum. The hole down the centre is always at least 2mm which allows a jewellers driver to do up the servo screw.

I cant see how you would lock the collet to the printed top hat.

I think the answer is maybe a harder plastic than PLA?? Though saying that these have worked.

Cheers

Danny

I think the answer would be an alloy collar around the printed part so that the retention grub screw is threaded in that. I’ve done that with other 3D printed parts where I needed a ‘stronger’ thread that that provided by the plastic. Alternatively just machine an alloy top hat (I believe they are commercially available).

Have you thought about an IDS system at all Danny? Used a lot in gliders IDS

Edited By Ron Gray on 08/10/2020 13:32:53

Edited By Ron Gray on 08/10/2020 13:41:10

Hi Ron, yes there is a commercially available RDS adaptor, they are very expensive for what they are. They are not of this design. These are unique.

I have, and do make them from alloy normally, see below, but that takes time, and the 3D printed items are very quick to produce.

449.jpg

We will see if the printed ones perform over time.

Cheers

Danny

The problem with the aftermarket units is that you have to get the exact size to fit your servos, spline count and diameter. For example the IDS one you show is for the MKS servos, £70 a pop, way outside my market.

IDS is a new one on me so thanks for pointing it out. I thought it was similar to what I called moving fulcrum which will only give a low angle of surface deflection. But actually it isn't. Looking at the moment arms I cannot see how its going to provide a solid surface at neutral. The airflow on the glider wings is probably lighter so wont matter as much. I believe the DS guys mainly use RDS.

The ones I make will fit any servo and only require an alloy (or printed) "top hat" and 2mm piano wire.

Its far simpler.

Cheers

Danny

The problem with a wing that has no fixed trailing edge is alignment of the flap and aileron.

090.jpg

I made a jig to get the flap angle correct. Aligned the aileron to the flap and then made a false wing tip from some scrap balsa.

This allows me to align the aileron to the tip, and the flap to the aileron. One I am happy I can remove the false tip and carve a real one.

Cheers

Danny

• 4 weeks later...

Been concentrating on my two Chipmunks getting them sorted, all good to go now, so back on the Mustang.

Had a lot of trouble with the ailerons, the RDS would not work properly, with the hinges pushing out at the extremities. The problem is the hinge lines and pockets cannot be in perfect alignment. I have tweaked things as best I can and is much better. But of all the RDS set ups I have done this is the first to cause me grief. Mustn't get complacent and be more careful with alignment in future.

Anyway while messing around I managed to strip Eric's 3D printed RDS adaptors, my own fault, you should use the grub screws to cut the threads, I didn't I used a tap. Unfortunately although it was an M3 it was .6 (fine) not .5 which would match the grub-screws. Rather than wait for Eric to print some more I ran a couple up on the lathe in T6 alloy smile p

92.jpg

Cheers

Danny

• 4 weeks later...

I have been really nervous about the wing skins. The wings have to be absolutely perfect and no undulations or these 1/16th skins will highlight every error. Hence my fear.

The trailing edges also have to meet the ailerons and flaps, which is another worry.

I thought long and hard about how to do the skins, and in the end opted for joining two lengths of 1/16th and do the skin in one piece.

94.jpg

95.jpg

I glued all around the perimeter and gently attached the skins, they are only pinned at the edges, but there is no play when you gently press the skin. the idea is the natural curve of the wood will mean no ripples.

I made a duplicate of the starboard skin as it fitted the port side perfectly.

Cheers

Danny