Brian Taylor P-51

That's interesting Eric, not just me then, in fairness it is only used on balsa so I guess it would hold it's edge.

058.jpg

Moved on to the flap, due to the laminar flow profile, Brian suggests a jig be made, a friend made a jig for his Mustang from MDF with some 1/4 x 1/16 strips where the ribs are internally, and sanded these to the very shallow curve required. The flap base is then lightly tacked down around the edges and the ribs attached.

059.jpg

The hinges are also fitted, these have to be carefully aligned to be on the hinge-line shown by Brian on the plan. Though it does take some finding, just a dot on rib 7

062.jpg

Careful study of the plan and hinge-line makes me think that RDS will also work for the flap, the pocket will have to sit directly on the flap lower skin. The fact that the carbon is only 1mm thick makes this viable, we will see if it works.

063.jpg

Then the top skin was fitted, I used Aliphatic for this, just to see how it compares to my usual Titebond. Will know in the morning.

Cheers

Danny

Hi Danny, I always used Evo stick water proof glue then bought some cheep aliphatic last year at the Nat's it was not very good after something I glued had to come apart it did too easy. I thought it may be not clamped enough so I stuck two pieces of balsa together clamped them and left them over night, next day they pulled apart with not a lot of effort , went back to Evostick but did not like the ridges when sanding. I tried Deluxe materials aliphatic resin and found it to be the best. On one job I glued a length of quarter square to some sheet and then found I had to cut 30mm off this was about 30mins. after gluing, it actually took a chunk out of the sheet while trying to part it with a Stanley knife.

The pins came out, and clamps came off.

The flap was sanded and trued up.

The curved rib tips were transferred from the plan using tracing paper, to balsa and fitted to the leading edge. I aligned on the edge between the base and the leading edge. As the wood wrapping around the leading edge is thinner than the base, this should give us the required step, which allows the flap to sit flush with the wing upper surface.

064.jpg

I glued the leading edge to the flap at the top, and then used ammonia on the sheeting to make sure it curved without cracking. The leading edge was jammed as seen in the photo, using a section of alloy tube to hold it curved while the wood dries.

065.jpg

Next step to glue the wood on the riblets, once ammonia dried. Then we have to try and replicate on the other flap.

Cheers

Danny

Leading edge came out fine.

066.jpg

The underside of this curved section is exposed to the elements, and is very flimsy. I was worried that damp could cause it to warp in the future and impinge movement, so I decided to close off the underside with some very light 1/16

067.jpg

I know, deviate from Brian's plan at your peril....... hopefully this wont bite me later crook

Cheers

Danny

Hi Gary, really enjoying yours and Nick's builds its good to see you both tackling such challenging models

Interesting question.....and these are my oppinions only

I have actually only built the Hurricane and the P-51 (nearly), though I have closely followed along with the P-47 (excellent Brian Wood build), the Spitfire the Corsair and the Mossie (the brilliant John Ranson's builds). Each seems to have a challenge.

The P-51 is okay (if you have a decent plan, not sure how mine is so poor) has......

1. An area that is weak, the fus just in front of the wing leading edge.

2. An area that is the wrong shape, around the radiator shroud.

3. A really difficult bit. The undercarriage. The tail-wheel is notorious!!, and took me a month, and I still have to figure out the doors!

dsc_9905.jpg

dsc_9907.jpg

4. The main undercarriage is fragile, and has some really complex telescopic main doors and some additional doors thrown in for good measure.

The Hurricane is fairly straightforward, but has some fiddly bulkheads and stringers, and a very difficult to figure out wing centre section. The flaps are also curved which catches many out, as does the area behind the pilots head!

The Spitfire has a fairly complex wing and will warp if you blink. The underside of the wing around the flaps is fun, as is the wing fairings.

The Corsair is a barrel of laughs with the wing, and especially the retracts, they foul the spar and are difficult to make, though I dare say commercial ones can be bought for a price. The flaps are also fun being split and well below the trailing edge.

The Mossie involves a lot of planking, and the fus can warp if you are not careful. The inside of the nacelles will get extremely tight when you start adding the flap mechanisms, they are a work of art. And you really cannot build a Mossie without the undercarriage detail, with mudguards and cross-barred oleos. They are also a work of art in themselves!

So they all have there challenges. The P-47 has those awkward flaps, and a pile of planking, but is the least known to me. On the list, I have the plans and parts for all the above, except the Corsair, which doesn't appeal, but I did see a set of parts for sale on the RCM&E for-sale section of this forum, for a great price wink 2

If there was enough enthusiasm to do another "Masterclass", it would be the BT Spitfire, or the BT Mossie...... but we will have to see on that score......

Interesting question though and thanks for asking

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 08/09/2020 22:04:47

Hi Danny,

Brilliant response and so much more detail than I was hoping for, thank you!

The P-47 is my second BT build and I have the plans for several of his designs in my collection because I could sit and read through plans for hours, especially hand drawn and with handwritten notes, love the skill. I always like to plan ahead to next projects but really don't know where I want to go next. I really fancy a Spit or hurricane, especially since my Mk1 Spit didn't come out the way I wanted but not sure if I want to give another designer a go? Hard to go past BT but like to try new things

Too many questions and too many options!!

Gary

Great post on the BT plans Danny. Plenty to put me off each and every one of them!!! Just need someone to add the flying characteristics on each of them and then I can be really sure. In reality I know that once I complete my P47 it will be only a matter of time before I will be tidying the workshop, clearing the decks, scoping the forums and looking for another project. I do love building. Just how I am going to store any more planes in my modest workshop is a concern though.

Perhaps after the Laser powered P47 I will like you consider an electric powered scale subject (sorry Jon); though I will have to have a sound system if a warbird. Having only been back in the hobby for 12 months I currently have two Laser 180 powered models. A Precedent Stampe and a Pilot Extra. However I also picked up an electric powered Acrowot to see why virtually everyone in my club flies electric. Also thought it would be an easy model to take my B certificate on. If I do build an electric scale subject, at least it might solve the hangar issue as it will be clean enough to store in the spare room.

Before you can fit the ailerons you have to ensure the flaps are at the right angle, the ailerons align to the flaps, and the tips to the ailerons. I made a jig following the upper contour of the wing at rib 6. I added the thickness of the skin to the jig.077.jpg

078.jpg

Even with the dodgey rib drawing I got away with it.

On to the ailerons:

Alloy tube is used to give the hinges a good true surface to align to.

I measured down from the top of the spars and made holes using a Permagrit needle file. One the two ends were done and happily glued solid. I drew a line between the two to set the position of the middle hinge.

079.jpg

two end holes bored and given a trial fit. This was at 1/16 gap, I went for 1/32nd in the end.

080.jpg

081.jpg

082.jpg

And there we have it, quite tricky to get right on this model, but hopefully its correct and I can replicate on the other wing panel.

Cheers

Danny

Posted by Danny Fenton on 09/09/2020 12:44:10:

Brian woudnt release a plan unless it flew well. They all do fly exceptionally well.

Brian held back at least one, because the ground handling was poor. I have forgotten which it was.

There are so many blogs on RCSB to help you will be fine with any.

Cheers

Danny

It was his Beaufighter. He specifically warned me away from it in the early nineties when Beaufighters were extremely rare. Several very successful plans for Beaus are available now.

Posted by leccyflyer on 16/09/2020 19:02:35:
Posted by Danny Fenton on 09/09/2020 12:44:10:

Brian woudnt release a plan unless it flew well. They all do fly exceptionally well.

Brian held back at least one, because the ground handling was poor. I have forgotten which it was.

There are so many blogs on RCSB to help you will be fine with any.

Cheers

Danny

It was his Beaufighter. He specifically warned me away from it in the early nineties when Beaufighters were extremely rare. Several very successful plans for Beaus are available now.

Thank you sir, I remembered it was a twin, but sadly that was all my memory would recall

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny,

I have just read through your Hurricane build again (3rd or 4th time) on RCSB and decided to bite the bullet and buy the short kit from Sarik! I like to cut my own kits but the formers look tricky on the hurricane so just went for the kit. It will be a job for after the P-47 but excited to have it on order. Will gradually get a motor and the biggest issue will be finding a suitable landing gear but I have time to sort it.

Sorry for an off topic input but your advice earlier on here encouraged me to go for the hurricane.

Looking forward to see more progress on the Mustang.

Gary