Wrong receiver being controlled?!

Jonathan M

I've got a funny situation: two separate models being controlled at the same time by my Taranis X9D+

I set up a new model (Boomerang) by first making a copy on my TX of an existing model (Wot4), i.e. so that my core settings and switches remain standardised, then re-named the new (duplicated) model and bound it to the new receiver.

I later had both models on (at home making a change to my standard settings, motors disabled) when I discovered that the old model RX was responding to control inputs from the TX when the new model was selected!

What have I done wrong and how to ensure that each model only responds to control inputs when it and only it is selected on my transmitter?

Change the receiver number on one model memory and rebind the receiver. If you copy models you copy the receiver number too, and that number is what gives you the model matching feature.

It's a good idea making a copy with all your favourite configurations and calling it 'Template' or whatever, then you can use that as a basis for creating new models.  Just remember to assign a different receiver number for each one wink

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 05/09/2020 09:39:47

Posted by Keith Berriman on 05/09/2020 09:37:59:

Nothing wrong just have one receiver switched on at any time .

I think we've all heard tales of people forgetting to disconnect batteries on electric powered models, if the models use different IDs then there's less chance of anything coming to life in the pits unexpectedly!

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 05/09/2020 09:36:47:

Change the receiver number on one model memory and rebind the receiver. If you copy models you copy the receiver number too, and that number is what gives you the model matching feature.

It's a good idea making a copy with all your favourite configurations and calling it 'Template' or whatever, then you can use that as a basis for creating new models. Just remember to assign a different receiver number for each one wink

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 05/09/2020 09:39:47

That's what I originally understood Bob, and all the models on my TX have different numbers, i.e.:

11 WOT-4

12 BOOMERANG

13 MINI PANIC

The Wot-4 was the original model (effectively the template) and I bound each new receiver to each new model/number having first re-named it. Just checked again and selecting any of the above on the TX now controls all three! Do they all now need re-binding?

The receiver number is not related to the model memory number. It is set up on the first page of the model config. On my Taranis, using D8 mode does not allow a receiver number to be selected.

Some of my telemetry enabled receivers do want to set a number and will warn if I use one that is already assigned.

As far as i know, what you have is normal.... be careful, many have flown the "wrong" model with the expected consequeneces.

Posted by David Hall 9 on 05/09/2020 10:10:42:

The receiver number is not related to the model memory number. It is set up on the first page of the model config. On my Taranis, using D8 mode does not allow a receiver number to be selected.

Some of my telemetry enabled receivers do want to set a number and will warn if I use one that is already assigned.

I've now explored this - you're right about D8 mode. For reasons that I've never previously understood or thought about I've always chosen D16 mode for new models, but the three ready-made templates I have for my gliders (i.e. DLG, thermal, and slope) seem to be set up with D8 mode as default - therefore I've gone in and changed them to D16 so as to be able to re-allocate their receivers to the same numbers as the model memory list - and undo any conflict!

Goodness knows what confusion will happen if I ever get round to tidying up the order of models on my transmitter - I assume the model receiver numbers will then fall out of sync with the model memory numbers!

Edited By Jonathan M on 05/09/2020 10:52:15

Posted by Jonathan M on 05/09/2020 10:51:07

Goodness knows what confusion will happen if I ever get round to tidying up the order of models on my transmitter - I assume the model receiver numbers will then fall out of sync with the model memory numbers!

I've just tried this - the receiver number stays the same wherever the model is in the memory list.

Having just gotten all the conflicts resolved in the transmitter, I've got a funny feeling that I've now got to re-bind all my receivers....! Aaaaargh! Will report back....

As suggested make up a template in a spare memory but - use either D8 or if you can't use D8 to External RF mode. You don't need a module plugged to be able to use the external rf mode.

Once you've copied the template change the mode to D16 (I don't have it but I presume you can do the same with Access). This means you will bind to a new memory automatically without having to remember.

BTW remember that all D8 mode Rx's will operate to any D8 mode memory in the Tx.  

Edited By PatMc on 06/09/2020 00:11:34

Posted by PatMc on 06/09/2020 00:03:58:

As suggested make up a template in a spare memory but - use either D8 or if you can't use D8 to External RF mode. You don't need a module plugged to be able to use the external rf mode.

Once you've copied the template change the mode to D16 (I don't have it but I presume you can do the same with Access). This means you will bind to a new memory automatically without having to remember.

BTW remember that all D8 mode Rx's will operate to any D8 mode memory in the Tx.

Posted by Ron Gray on 06/09/2020 06:39:22:

if you use Companion it will highlight duplicate RX numbers in red so it’s easy to see where problems may occur.

Thanks guys, both very useful tips.

Its no longer a 'problem' now that I'm aware of how the system works.