Thermostatic iron or station?

Former Member

Advert

I to would like some info on the same question.

When it comes to Welding with stick or mig I consider myself a bit of an expert but when it comes to soldering it has always been a bit hit or miss even though I follow the recommended instructions and have wondered if this is to do with failure to control the iron temp.

I briefly looked at a soldering 'station' a while back, but couldn't understand its purpose. The key to good soldering is the temperature and mass of the bit, so as long as I can adjust the temperature and swap bit sizes it doesn't matter to me how the temperature is achieved. The smaller footprint of a 'traditonal' mains iron with basic temperature adjustment but no readout (lower price!) does the job for me.

The stations can be quite nice. My work has lots of them around.

I only have a basic irons at home. 25w, a 100w, and a torch. Mostly use the 25w and the torch. Torch makes light work of washers to piano wire or joining piano wire.

One does have to be careful not to set one's latest creation on fire when waving a torch around though!

I have one cheapy soldering station, with a variable temperature controlled 50w iron that has a pencil bit. I'd hoped that it would replace my other irons, but I found that I couldn't really get on with it. For most of the everyday jobs I find that my wee 25W Antex iron does the job fine.

I do have several other irons, including a 75W Weller, fitted with a hammerhead tip that I used to use for making all of my NiCd and NiMh packs and a Weller soldering gun that I really couldn;t get on with

. They were all in my soldering drawer, in the tool cabinet, but now that they are on the bench I suppose that they might get used more often. No, I'm kidding myself -the wee Antex fulfills 90% of my soldering needs and is a pleasure to use.

"I have done professional soldering most of my life in various jobs of all sizes from large to microchips.The best advice I can give here is that if you want to solder anything from electronics to piano wire is to get a soldering station. These are very cheap from cpc.co.uk. A range of tips for all jobs is available. Surprisingly maybe a 4mm tip will do for even 6g wire because the temperature will always be maintained. Single temperature irons are just a waste of time." Martin McIntosh 30/08/2016 20:41:50 **LINK**

Spot on matey! yes

**LINK**

**LINK**

**LINK**

Whilst I use a 60W for heavy duty work, for general use I have now swapped to a TS100 soldering iron.

Very small and can be LiPo powered so great for the field. Heats up to full temperature from cold in just a few seconds. Is programmed to switch to cool if not touched for a few minutes, but gets back to full temperature as soon as you pick it up.

Not cheap at around £50 but consider it money well spent. Got mine here

You only need a 6S if you want to run a high wattage. I run mine off an old laptop power supply at home, and tested with a 3S for use at the field. So far both have been fine for normal electronic type soldering - components, cables etc. The voltage affects the maximum wattage achieved.

According to the manual the potential wattages are...

12V - 17W

16V - 30W

19V - 40W

24V - 65W

Sorry guys, but even after looking at the links a few posts up, I still don't understand what a soldering station does that a good soldering iron doesn't do: My Antex iron's temperature is thermostatically controlled, and can be altered with a little dial (but no display), and I use it with bits ranging from 6mm to 0.1mm tip diameter. And it comes with a silicone mains lead so I can't melt it by accident.

Ive used the same as you Allan. Had it many years. Very versatile & quick to heat. When it died i got its modern replacement TCS 50W 230V Digital Soldering Iron - T48JJ70.

This has a display and up/down buttons for temp control.

Just as good with the added temp display but i find the buttons are too easily pressed when in use (not a show stopper but annoying they didnt get the egonomics right!).

You can still get the older version

Edited By dave windymiller on 14/09/2020 22:16:21

Posted by Doc Marten on 14/09/2020 20:57:10:

Take a look at the menu on the KSGER, it's like OpenTx for soldering irons! smile

Thanks, I've looked at a few spec sheets, and the only things I see it can do that my Antex can't are of no real interest to me -- temperature display, temperature range down to 50 degrees or so, 'sleep mode', etc.