Model suggestions?

Advert

You might have a look at this recent thread which I started on behalf of someone in the still early stages of learning to fly at my club and looking for a winter build project: **LINK**

While it was framed in terms of an older, less confident learner, the conclusion - for me at least - was for him to build the Chris Foss Uno Wot kit (also known as the Wot Trainer) - versatile but capable of slow flight and with a robust construction (foam wings).

What about a Mercury Matador (Ben Buckle kit) - pretty as a picture - excellent manners - for a small i/c motor or outrunner. A nice straightforward build to help pass the Winter off season. And also another vote for the UnoWot - as tough as its other Foss stablemates - and they do fly well - very safe too if not overpowered (methanol OR electrons!)

Posted by Doctor Chinnery on 20/10/2020 23:21:29:

What about a Mercury Matador (Ben Buckle kit) - pretty as a picture - excellent manners - for a small i/c motor or outrunner. A nice straightforward build to help pass the Winter off season. And also another vote for the UnoWot - as tough as its other Foss stablemates - and they do fly well - very safe too if not overpowered (methanol OR electrons!)

A 4 CHannel Matador!!!???

If you can get one, a Flair Magnatilla is a great build and even better flier, provided you don't over power it. I've had best results with a TT 42 GP with a 12x5 graupner grey prop but my first one, which helped me onward from a junior 60, was powered by an Enya 35 plain bearing engine, which was more than adequate.

Failing that a uno-wot or wot4 mk3 with one of the above engines and a suitable instructor, is a great combination.

I really enjoy flying my wot4s just above the stall, they fly so slowly it's unbelievable. They can also fly fast but slow is quiet.

I think Peter's 'Little Miss Honky Tonk' would be an excellent choice as a winter build James. It has plenty of wing area and consequently a correspondingly low wing loading (15.73oz per squ ft). It is a very simple straight forward build. I bought the Sarik Hobbies CNC parts when they were on a promotional offer but with the parallel chord wing the ribs are straightforward and the formers simple shapes. Not challenging to cut out yourself then. Peter's model was powered by an SC 52 FS but I am doing an electric conversion and I may post some pictures on the forum when I have made some progress with it.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 21/10/2020 08:50:38

+1 for the Telemaster but I'm biased as i used to import the kits! wink

Telemasters were/are available in a range of sizes but my favourite was the Telemaster 40. It is easy to build being mostly straight lines, it has a six foot wingspan and flies very well on a 40 two-stroke or electric equivalent. Plans are downloadable from The Outerzone. **LINK**

This is mine in flight...

Rapsody in Blue!

...and what was left of it after the elastic bands or dowel mounting failed. crying One day I'll build a new fuselage for it.

rip t40 (1).jpg

I have flown several Super 60s, indeed I'm building one now, but the Telemaster 40, being a bigger model is less heavily loaded and flies very slowly and gracefully.

Edited By David Davis on 21/10/2020 08:59:46

• 2 weeks later...

Two tips for building from a kit

1. Before you start draw around all shaped components onto a piece of paper so you have a plan in case it's ever necessary to make a replacement part. Mark grain direction, material and thickness.

2. Especially important now balsa is in short supply - allocate the balsa to the correct parts - largest first. i.e don't cut all the balsa for short parts and find there are no long lengths for spars, longerons etc. Some kits rely on the offcuts from spars etc to make the smaller parts!

I've done some pics but when I try to post they are lopsided, but I will post them.

Too late for the scanning started building before I saw the suggestion.

As for the power train I was going to go electric, but I've been offered a asp 91 4-stroke engine but I think it will be too big. I have got a smaller 2 stroke but its untested ( came out of a model I bought but was past being saved)

Posted by Nigel R on 02/11/2020 19:21:01:

91 will be over power and heavy for the model.

40 two stroke would be plenty. Four Stroke, 52 size would be right. How big is your two stroke?

Edited By Nigel R on 02/11/2020 19:21:22

To be honest I can't remember it came out of a arc ready think the make is mds, although the silencer is broken. Hence the thinking of going electric