My late lamented Sea Fury

Eric Robson

Spent the evening covering the fuselage. I formed the exhaust outlet and cooling gills from a Forster's can . The wing fillet is from card mounted on thin ply. Mike the wing outer panels are built from the Brian Taylor Tempest plan as my first attempt was not right .I have the Tempest part kit from Sarik which was going to be my next build but the Warbirds Mustang kit arrived so I will probably do that first.dsc_0736[1160].jpg

Starting to get back to it now the cold has finally gone, I've been trying to cover the pink foam cowl ,the best way would be to glass it I tried laminating film but it did not like the curve so its back to brown paper. as I have no materials for glassing and have never done it before. I need some oleo legs for the under carriage but can't locate any, 4Max advertise them but have no stock, Hobbyking only have them on Global but I am not keen on ordering them as I have been caught out by Hobby king's addons before. any suggestions would be appreciated.dsc_0740[1167].jpg

dsc_0753[1191] - copy.jpgReady for testing when the weather improves, the U/C legs are temporary they are for my next build a P51 Mustang from Richard's Warbirds Replicas , I also need to get a 4" spinner. Still some numbers to go on and other details. As it is now it is 57" span and weighs just under 5lb with 4s battery it has a 42/48 650kv Prop Drive motor , the prop is 12 x 8 . I have the same set up in my Flair SE 5 and get 12 min. flights but I only fly the SE 5 at half throttle as it is too fast over that.

Merry Christmas too all and looking forward to a better 2021.dsc_0754[1192].jpg

Had it's maiden today very windy but it flew as good as the old one only needed a lot of down trim but that was probably with the high wind, I done a wheels up landing as the strip is soggy at the moment and it did not taxi too well with the ground conditions . I had to put the up trim back in to get it off the ground for the second flight as it was wanting to nose over. It was too cold to have any more flights. Very happy!dsc_0770[1232] (2).jpg

Congrats on the maiden, Eric. yes

If I'm allowed a tip regarding the glassing without the 'mess' that you mentioned earlier.

You can use some light glass cloth (25gr/m² but replacing the epoxy resin by Water Based Varnish (the Ronseal Diamond hard type). The advantage resides in the ease of cleaning and the lower weight. Of course, it is not as strong as epoxy but makes even Depron very ding-proof.

Cheers & stay careful

Chris

Thanks Danny and David , The Fosters's cans came in useful again for the exhaust outlets after cutting them to shape I put them on the hob printed side down and heated them till the ali. turned brown. In the house they look very dark but the strong sunlight lightens them up .Need to get some tubes for the exhaust stubs.

Cheers Eric.

• 1 year later...
On 20/11/2020 at 07:10, Eric Robson said:

Good morning David, I use UHU POR for most internal gluing , the fin is quite large so I made a balsa frame (from the scrap box) and used aliphatic resin to glue the 1/16" sheet depron on as it had to be sanded , the problem with UHU is when sanding, it tends to catch the glue and pull it out as it remains flexible for a long time. Using wood glues on foam is ok if it can get the air to dry it, I once glued the undercarriage blocks into a foam wing with PVA and months later when I went to fly it the blocks came out on landing and the glue was still fluid . It had only dried around the edge. I have made a few aeroplanes from depron and they all flew well but the depron I have left is the last I could get as it is out of production. I have 4 conventional kits to build so that will keep me going for a while the only reason I made this one was to replace the small one which I had a lot of good flying with. Still following your Condor build.

Cheers Eric.

Good morning Eric, can I ask where you got the 1/16 foam from for the tail skins or did you have to machine it yourself or hwc it?

Also you mention covering with brown paper and ironing it down, is this done with a cold or warm iron, or just a figure of speech?

Thanks James.

Good morning James,

I bought the 1/16" depron from Slec at a show just before covid struck, it was the last they had as manufacture had ceased, I wanted 3mm but that had all gone.

When covering with brown paper on foam I use a temp. controlled iron set to 120 deg. on foam surfaces and 140 on balsa. The best brown paper to use I have found  is the masking paper from Toolstation,  300mm x 54m for under £4. Paint the mat side with thinned PVA and iron on, don't use strong B.P. as it generally is ribbed and these show when dry.

Eric.  

• Like 1

Thank you Eric, this is what I needed to know. I am looking to build a mk.XVI Spitfire to a similar scale as your Sea Fury and hope to use your techniques in the construction. I am amazed how you have used depron to produce such a fine model. I bought some 3mm white from B&q and was wondering if this would be suitable for the tail skin or is this too thick at this scale?

Thanks for the advice re brown paper, I will pick up a roll from Toolstation. 👍

Regards James