Balsa Swells in Winter!

I’m currently building a large twin engined model from plans, the wing and nacelles for which were cut out, and the nacelles test fitted into specially prepared gaps in the wing structure back in the summer.

The nacelles, which were a perfect sliding were then removed and set aside, as I thought it would make the wing easier to handle while sheeting it, fitting the ailerons & servos etc. without the bulky nacelles being in the way.

So now at the end of November having also built the fuselage, I’m ready to fit the nacelles permanently. Remember back in the summer, these were a perfect sliding fit into the gaps in the wings. Not now! I’ve sanded the sides of the gaps, but they’re still a tight fit, so I’ve bought the wing and nacelles from my modelling shed into the house for a few days. Hopefully the central heating and lower humidity will dry the wood out sufficiently to loosen the fit, so I can get the glue in.

Who would have thought the weather could make such a difference to the dimensions of the wood!

Advert

Humidity makes a huge difference, quite amazing how much wood can swell or shrink.
Not balsa but my modelling shed was T&G planks which in the dry summer shrank so much that they popped apart. They would swell again after rain but by then they’d warped too so would never fit back together again as they expanded, leaving gaps for the rain to run down inside. The roof started leaking too 🤬.

It’s now been replaced by a proper shed erected by a local builder and made of 18mm treated planks, set vertically and with a 50mm wide strip over the joints. This one won’t leak!

I learned several years ago to bring my built-up balsa planes indoors from the garage in winter. I didn't notice them growing larger, but the swelling noted by Evil must also be accompanied by absorbing moisture as there was a measurable weight increase on a 6ft span bipe after it had been stored in the garage during winter, which disappeared after a period stored indoors.

Hence why full size aircraft have a lot of plywood, I guess. Very stable, as well as being strong.

According to this chart balsa shrinks about 7.5% tangentially (horizontal plane in the circular direction, in an upright tree) and 3% radially (in and out from the core to the bark). Fairly average, I think.

"Not balsa but my modelling shed was T&G planks which in the dry summer shrank so much that they popped apart."

The thing we pulled down a couple of months ago had a section made from T&G. It had been fixed with nails at each edge of the plank... I doubt there was ever enough clearance for shrinkage around the T&G connection either.

Needless to say it had swelled, buckled, pulled the nails out and never gone back into place, leaving the old shed full of holes.

The replacement I'm (still) building has planks fixed on one edge only!

"Moisture also kills electronics"

It can do. Condensation is the real killer. It doesn't exactly do wonders for IC engines either.