Article 16 Authorisation is here

Advert

Posted by MattyB on 16/12/2020 22:26:38:
Posted by Gary Manuel on 16/12/2020 17:21:56:

Matty.

I think you may be looking for problems that don't exist.

This authorisation is just that: an authorised alternative method of flying model aeroplanes, to CAP722. You don't even need to read CAP722 if you comply with this alternative method.

This may change at the end of December 2021, but I'm sure that the BMFA etc will continue to protect our existing safe practices as best as they can.

I hope you are right, but the BMFA’s own doc states that the exemption itself is granted within the Specific category within 722. I am sure this will be clarified by the BMFA in the webinar next week or here before that.

Gary is correct, the ART16 Authorisation effectively disapplies all the elements of CAP722 and we are operating wholly to what is contained in the authorisation and not to CAP722.

• 5 months later...

An updated Article 16 Authorisation for BMFA members was released yesterday - it seeems the CAA have now one down the route of granting individual authorisations to each national association. Full details in the BMFA article, and links below...

Again I am surprised by the willingness of the CAA to delegate powers to the national associations, especially the granting of site permits for models >7.5-25kgs to be flown over 400ft on a regular basis. It's heartening, but I am sure our friends at Google, Amazon and the logistics companies will be watching carefully to see how many are put in place - they are bound to start exerting pressure if they feel their BVLOS delivery goals are being made harder, however pie in the sky we may think they are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, john stones 1 Moderator said:

Not read it completely yet, surprised is maybe not the word I would use, No doubt we arrived here because of the work people have put in on our behalf, good news.

My comment was not a judgement on the BMFA; I am just surprised that the government are happy to let the CAA delegate these aspects to the national associations given the words of the Sec of State in recent times. As per the BMFA webinar where the CAA spoke it was very clear there were areas where the CAA have their hands tied by their masters and are not at liberty to negotiate with the BMFA or anyone else...

Edited by MattyB

Just now, MattyB said:

My comment was not a judgement on the BMFA; I am just surprised that the government are happy to let them delegate these aspects to the national associations given the words of the Sec of State in recent times. As per the BMFA webinar where the CAA spoke it was very clear there were areas where the CAA have their hands tied by their masters and are not at liberty to negotiate with the BMFA or anyone else...

I know it wasn't Matty, but I'm not surprised the CAA have been left to handle it, pleased but not surprised.

Well done BMFA in particular.

Don't forget that to remain lawful you must make the Declaration of understanding for article 16 on the BMFA website if relying on the Achievement Scheme to show competence

Interesting that there now seems a distinct definition forming between model planes and drones. Section 7 of the Guide uses the phrase "The model aircraft is not a rotorcraft (multi-rotor) with more than two lift generation rotors or propellers"

25 minutes ago, i12fly said:

Interesting that there now seems a distinct definition forming between model planes and drones. Section 7 of the Guide uses the phrase "The model aircraft is not a rotorcraft (multi-rotor) with more than two lift generation rotors or propellers"

I think that you have mis-read this @i12fly.

The way I read it is that a "model aircraft" is defined by the way it is controlled by the pilot. A "rotorcraft" / "multi-rotor" / "drone" can also be a "model aircraft" if it is flown using only flight stabilisation and not automatic directional control.

Edited by Gary Manuel
Typo corrected
  • Like 1