RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Hi Fury guys, and thanks to all who have paid so rapidly, and sent delivery adresses. Don't panic if I vanish, I haven't absconded with your cash.

I'm off on holiday for three weeks (gay Paree, folies bergere, moulin rouge, and all that french stuff. What a nuisance), The etching people are all ready to start when I get back and finalise the order.

ernie

Gents,

After giving it some thought, i have decided to have a go at the fury, even though I still have the chippy to finish.

Learnt a lot whilst doing that build and am looking forward to improving my wire bending and a few more skills.

Although after surviving a Bryant wing, Its utter madness to have to build two more.

So a quick recap of materials and suppliers.

Plan, spinner and wood pack from Sarik

Glass hinges from Danny

Brass etched parts from Ernie

3D printed parts from Tony Bennet

Is this correct?

Two Bryant wings utter madness crying

Kind regards

SW

Thanks for the latest batch of email addresses etc. We now have 19 modellers taking on The RAF's finest biplane. Should be a lot of fun, if you want to call a Bryant wing a lot of fun....... However in fairness these look far easier than the Chipmunk wings.

If you haven't sent me a PM with your email addy and you want to receive any email updates please let me know.

Cheers

Danny

Okay just about to start the arduous task of laying out the parts over the plan to check the fit. The glass parts are now checked, and the fit is really nice. The CNC machine has kissed the material to indicate where the hole needs to be, but it is down to you as to the size, more of that when we start (unless you recall the Chipmunk build).

fury1.jpg

Cheers

Danny

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Danny. I’ve been lying low because I’ve shelved all of my modelling and flying activity in the last few weeks as I’ve been away part of the time, it’s been too hot for the airfield and I’ve focused on making some detailed improvements to my Norton 650SS that I’d kept putting off. Quite a lot to do but when it’s done, it’s done. I’ve also been doing some enjoyable riding on my new Honda and that culminates with a ride to Orkney from 08 to 15 September, I’ve always wanted to see Scapa Flow and the bike is my preferred method for things like that and time to myself. My focus will be shifting back towards the models then.

However I’m going to do the Fury. Really there’s been an issue with getting motivated to finish the Chipmunk, which I’ve been a bit disillusioned with. Using traditional covering methods with dope has left me with warped ailerons and it’s been one thing after another with that build. The bits I’ve altered are ok, but I’ve been unhappy with the design detail and poor wood quality from SLec. I should have sent it back rather than persevered with it, but the consequence of brittle wood was that while working in the wing with undercarriage, servos and linkages I was continually splitting and breaking ribs and having to repair them. In fact most of the work is done but the indoor stuff took my interest and I was doing that instead. At some point I must finish it rather than abandon it, but when is another matter.

I’ve ordered the metal bits from Ernie. Also I have put Barkston Heath in my diary for 26 August. Never been there before, but it looks as if I will be able to collect the wood bits from there as you suggest. That leaves plan, cowl and spinner to sort out, but it looks as if they have to come from Sarik. Still have to make the final decision between I/C and electric, I prefer the first but with this design I can see the sense of electric.

That’s where it stands as of today.

Hi Danny,

I've ordered the cut wood pack and glass parts, and will purchase the brass buts from Ernie. I'm currently finishing off a Mudry CAP21 to the Peter Miller design, but with holidays etc. there has not been much time for anything.

I will be using a Laser 120 for power, but would prefer to use a RCV engine to avoid spoiling the shape of the nose with a cut out, but either way, cooling will be a problem. Using the exhaust ports to admit cooling air and routing the engine exhaust and cooling air out through the radiator with some sort of hidden venturi or ejector design might make a difference.

Anyone got some thoughts on this?

William

Hi Danny,

I was just waiting for a 'green light' after the amendments would have been done. Still a lot of motivation in BE, but also a lack of free time.

Do we still have to order from Tina or from the 'Chris' that you also mentioned earlier in your messages?

Classroom Member Jos? LG made some carbon fiber spinners and proposed them to the other builders. Maybe you could send him a PM?

Cheers

Chris

Edited By Chris Bott - Moderator on 16/08/2018 12:50:02

Enthusiasm!! I'm still recovering from the first Bryant wing crying.

With a few DIY jobs that have needed to be done and the weather, not much time for building although more flying than previous years.

After being involved with the chippy build and learning a lot, I'm Looking forward to getting started, hope to get parts ordered soon. Was not to sure if I should get involved with the Fury as Chippy still needs to be finished. However I would very much like to improve my wire bending and soldering skills and having the comments from other builders certainly helps and keeps the motivation when things aren't quite right

Colin your not alone, I know how you feel with getting the Chippy finished, I felt the same. However I did manage to pick it up again. I need to make a list of jobs required to finish it.

SW

Hi Fury Guys,

My paypal account is showing many payments for the brass bits, so I'm off on an expensive cruise

Here is a list of those who have settled up

martin fane

david arthur

mr a j sephton

stuart rusby

ken lighten

david avery

bennets

martin barrett

manish chandrayan

vincent chapman

richard mallam

martyn kinder

roger adams

chris lambot

tony prince

danny fenton

colin leighfield

jose luis guerrero dominguez

and myself

So, If you want a set, and your name isnt on the list, you need to pay up pronto ( details of how much, and how to do it are on the forum. Also, I see many addresses have arrived on my RCM&E mail. I havent checked them yet, but of course I need to know where to send the goodies

I'm going to finalise the order on monday morning

ernie